Is Linux Mint the right choice for me? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Exarch Isodo
Level 1
Level 1

Is Linux Mint the right choice for me? [SOLVED]

Post by Exarch Isodo »

Bit of background first.

Linux.... That word alone sends shivers up my spine. Quite frankly, its terrifying. Why? Because Im dumb. Ive been spoon fed MS crap all of my life. I dont have programming chops, coding is an alien language to me, and everytime Ive tried to use any distro of Linux it bites me in the proverbial butt. The last time I ventured into the Linux waters was a complete disaster, thank you Ubuntu.

I understand that Linux has a learning curve. One that Ive found completely unforgiving in the past. But, Ive heard good things about Mint. So, here I am. Being that this is the internet, Im probably going to catch all kinds of crap for saying this, but heres what Im looking for. A OS that runs like Windows, and has the drivers/support I need with the ease of use that Windows has..... But not Windows. Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. :lol: I need a OS that will run steam, browse the web, Netflix, etc, etc, etc. And not fly apart at the seams if I look at my PC funny.

Which brings me back to the subject.... Is Linux Mint the right choice for me?

Be gentle.... :D
Last edited by Exarch Isodo on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is Linux Mint the right choice for me?

Post by Pierre »

welcome to our Forum
:D

We all made the jump, at some point,
& some of us have nearly wiped out our machine.
:(
but, with the right advise, it's usually recoverable.

Do We Think That LinuxMint is the Right Choice
:?:
Of Course We Do
:lol:

But - - what we need from you:
- is what is the Machine that you are proposing to utilise:
- - Make
- - Model No.
- - What is the Current Operating System
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

You can. I changed from MS to Linux in 2012 and I regret only not having did the change before. It took me some months to learn and getting accustomed to the OS and the way to work with it, but I did. It's not that difficult, and there is a large helpful community in the forums.
Steam is supported in Linux, I've tried it (although I'm not a gamer). And of course, I browse the web, I see Netflix (via Chrome), listen music, and all the jazz.
So, go on... :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)

Exarch Isodo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exarch Isodo »

Pierre wrote:welcome to our Forum
:D

We all made the jump, at some point,
& some of us have nearly wiped out our machine.
:(
but, with the right advise, it's usually recoverable.

Do We Think That LinuxMint is the Right Choice
:?:
Of Course We Do
:lol:

But - - what we need from you:
- is what is the Machine that you are proposing to utilise:
- - Make
- - Model No.
- - What is the Current Operating System
System specs:

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor

M5a97 le r2.0 Motherboard

AMD R7 360 Graphics Card

I forget what kind of ram and power supply I have.

Current OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit (Ive used every operating system MS has to offer)

Exarch Isodo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exarch Isodo »

xfrank wrote:You can. I changed from MS to Linux in 2012 and I regret only not having did the change before. It took me some months to learn and getting accustomed to the OS and the way to work with it, but I did. It's not that difficult, and there is a large helpful community in the forums.
Steam is supported in Linux, I've tried it (although I'm not a gamer). And of course, I browse the web, I see Netflix (via Chrome), listen music, and all the jazz.
So, go on... :)
From everything Ive read, WINE wont run DX11 or 12. Which is kind of an issue for me. Could be a deal breaker to be honest.... :|

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Exarch Isodo wrote:Is Linux Mint the right choice for me?
Asking this question in the Linux Mint forum did you really expect an answer other than yes :?
ImageImage

Exarch Isodo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exarch Isodo »

WharfRat wrote:
Exarch Isodo wrote:Is Linux Mint the right choice for me?
Asking this question in the Linux Mint forum did you really expect an answer other than yes :?
Yes, yes I did. I expected an honest/unbiased answer to my question. Why? Because if Linux Mint was perfect for everything, wouldnt everyone be using it?

Also, when making a decision, I like to be reasonably informed.

Speaking of being informed, is there any information I can give you about my system specs, or previous Linux experiences that would help me understand what Im looking at if/when I decide to switch to Linux mint?

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

@Exarch Isodo
Firstly welcome here 100%
You are asking good questions.
Best advice is to hang around here for a while, keep a chin up, and let everything sink in slowly.
The curve will not be a one day thing--but I predict you will come to grips with the Linux os right away.
The best advice--continue asking questions

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Exarch Isodo wrote:From everything Ive read, WINE wont run DX11 or 12. Which is kind of an issue for me.|
I did a little Googling, and it appears that people are using DX11 in Wine. There's even a video on Youtube showing it. So, it can be done. Might take a little fooling around with, though.

Windows is the one that sends shivers up my spine. I really don't see any reason to be afraid of Linux. For most people it's as simple as click on the Menu button, click on the application you want to run, and away you go. Yes, there are times that it can be more complicated than that, but most of the time it's pretty easy. When you say that you've found the Linux learning curve to be completely unforgiving, I have to wonder if you asked for help with the problems you have had in the past. Now and then, somebody posts here that Linux is a complete piece of garbage, because they spent a month trying to figure out how to do such and such and never got it to work. Usually what that means is they never bothered to ask questions (and oftentimes this is with problems that could have been very easily solved). If that was you in the past, I recommend that you give Mint a try, and if you do have any troubles with it, ask on the forums. Almost certainly, somebody will know (or be able to figure out) how to solve your problems. Mint users are generally quite friendly and willing to help out others. On the rare occasions that terminal commands are required, somebody will be able to tell you exactly what command to run, and all you will have to do is copy/paste the commands into your terminal. So I would say yes, Mint is the right choice for you. A lot of people start out with a dual boot system where you can have both Linux and Windows installed on your computer, and you just choose which one you want to run at each bootup. That's how I started. When I came to a task that I didn't know how to do in Linux (and didn't have the time to figure out right at that instant), I just rebooted into Windows, did the task, and went right back to Linux.

Most Windows users feel comfortable with Mint in short order. Two of my brothers and one of my sisters are using Mint. None of them are computer gurus by any means, more like computer illiterate. One of my brothers started using Linux shortly after I did, back in 2002. I don't think I ever did get any support requests from him. My other brother and my sister are relative newcomers to Linux, having changed over within the last year or so. I got one support call from my sister, and I had to go over to my brother's house to help him install printer drivers. Both easily solved. So, I have a feeling that you won't have much trouble with Mint, and any troubles you do have, somebody here should be able to fix you right up.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy »

Hello, welcome.

Based on your posted system specs you should go for the 17.3 version of Linux Mint this version supports AMD propriety Drivers, something you will need for steam. Which version of 17.3 is something for you to consider. Mint has different desktop environments Cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, MATE and Xfce all with different benefits. Lighter versions which require less processing power or the 'all singing and dancing versions'. Cinnamon is probably the most popular and you'll be fine with that but do research the others before deciding.

Is Linux Mint the right choice? For a beginner yes very much so.

The Thing to remember is Linux isn't Windows in just the same way as Windows isn't Mac. What you need to do is sit down and decide what you want to do on your computer and what programs you currently use and find the Linux alternatives. For Example.

Microsoft Office replace With LibreOffice
Adobe Photoshop replace with GIMP
Utorrent replace with qBittorent

Most open source software is available on both Linux and Windows so you can install them on your Windows machine to test them, learn them before even jumping to Linux this will make the transition considerably easier. Don't get hung up on using WINE or trying to get Windows programs to run on Linux.

I can't stress this enough RESEARCH, don't do anything until you have a good idea of what using Linux will be like. Watch videos on youtube ask questions, no question is a stupid one ever. Take your time. Linux isn't as scary as some might have you think. You don't have to know anything about programming or the command line you can use Mint as you would with any Windows operating system its just different but no more complicated than learning the latest release from Microsoft.

Last bit of advise, stick with it, don't give up in the early stages and you'll be flying soon enough..and asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner.

Good luck.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Exarch Isodo wrote: I expected an honest/unbiased answer to my question. Why? Because if Linux Mint was perfect for everything, wouldnt everyone be using it?
- You are mostly talking to people who happily use Mint, so your group is self-selected for that; and so you cannot expect fully unbiased answers. However, I'm sure that most of us will try to be honest.
I don't think anyone here feels that Mint is perfect. Personally I don't feel that it is perfect, but I do feel that it suits me very well*. It also suits my mother, who is 78 years old and has no technical background, and several of my friends who do have technical backgrounds.

- Even if Linux Mint were perfect for everything, which it isn't, we would still be stuck with the historical facts that made Windows end up with such a large market share. People can't choose what they don't know about; on the other hand, it's very easy to choose what is already sold to you with your computer, and what everyone around you uses. I would not consider market share to be the final word on usability/quality in a OS.

The best thing you could do right now is to put a version of Mint on a USB stick, boot your machine from that and take it for a test drive. It will tell you much more than we ever can. Have fun, and do ask questions!

PS. you don't sound dumb to me.

* I have used Windows for 20 years and cannot code at all; I could not code my way out of a wet paper bag if my life depended on it. No programming skills are required to use Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Exarch Isodo wrote:Linux.... That word alone sends shivers up my spine.
Nevertheless you are interested, aren't you? Ask yourself why. Ask yourself what you do expect. If you come about a concrete problem, ask here, just as you did with this more general question. Chances are good, that we can help you.

2 hints about that:
At first we need to know at least the basics about your system. The easiest way to provide this info is to open a terminal (in the installed system or already in the live system, which you use for installing) and enter this command: inxi -Sz; than copy / paste the output here.
At second describe your problem / question as good as possible.
Exarch Isodo wrote:I understand that Linux has a learning curve.
Try to remember back for some years: Did you know how to use Windows already in the cradle? You had also a learning curve in Windows, uncountable discussion in Windows forums say, that Windows knowledge does not fall from heaven. After having used Windows for some time you will of course know the basics, but that is something, which you learned with time. In this regard Linux (Linux Mint) is not different.
See also the number of Mint users. Do you believe, that we are masochists? Hardly. What we learned, you will learn it yourself; perhaps not every detail, at least not at the beginning, but it will happen, nearly unavoidable.

My suggestion: Download Mint, put it on a dvd (or stick), boot it and start to use it. This (the so called live system) is representation of the later installed product, so you get a good impression. Of course you should not start with the more complicated things (most likely you did not start in Windows with the complicated things also), but with the most common task: Use the browser. Play with some settings (in a live system you cannot really destroy anything, a reboot brings you back to the original status). And if questions arise, ask here. Remember, that we are convinced, that something like stupid questions do not exist. Only - perhaps - not enough detailed questions and info, but see about that the first part of my post.

My personal belief: Don't try to "learn" Linux by watching videos. What they show is often not detailed enough, in a number of cases it is simply wrong. Only what you try yourself gives full answers, even if (at first) the result is possibly not what you expected.

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

Exarch Isodo wrote:..........Because if Linux Mint was perfect for everything, wouldnt everyone be using it?

That's not logically solid in any way. There's lots of things where something is known to be the "best way" and yet vast majority of people are doing/using/.. something else. Also, as Moem, I don't think Mint is perfect but choose to use it for reasons.

As for some sort of answer to your question: If you install Cinnamon desktop* and there's no problems or you get things sorted easily, you'll have a system that feels very much like Windows 7 - but is not as you'll notice, possibly in a good way. If you continue having no malfunctions you won't have to use any command line wizardry, just click away on things you would do on any computer. If something goes belly up you might find that problem solving is actually much easier in linux than in Windows** and you have this wonderful forum to read up on things and ask questions.

* Other desktops will have similar effect
** As a linux system gives you unlimited access to your system, and with the command line as your tool it will be an easy access. Plus there's good communities online to look for help.
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lemongrass38 »

There are some people on this forum who don't use the terminal (the little window in which you can type commands) at all. Ever.

Most Linux distributions require you to use the terminal at least a bit. Mint doesn't do that.

Is Mint for you? You can try it.
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Exarch Isodo wrote:Bit of background first.

Linux.... That word alone sends shivers up my spine. Quite frankly, its terrifying. Why? Because Im dumb. Ive been spoon fed MS crap all of my life. I dont have programming chops, coding is an alien language to me, and everytime Ive tried to use any distro of Linux it bites me in the proverbial butt. The last time I ventured into the Linux waters was a complete disaster, thank you Ubuntu.

I understand that Linux has a learning curve. One that Ive found completely unforgiving in the past. But, Ive heard good things about Mint. So, here I am. Being that this is the internet, Im probably going to catch all kinds of crap for saying this, but heres what Im looking for. A OS that runs like Windows, and has the drivers/support I need with the ease of use that Windows has..... But not Windows. Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. :lol: I need a OS that will run steam, browse the web, Netflix, etc, etc, etc. And not fly apart at the seams if I look at my PC funny.

Which brings me back to the subject.... Is Linux Mint the right choice for me?

Be gentle.... :D
My humble advice: burn a Mint ISO onto a USB flash drive. That will create a Live version of Mint and you can run it directly from the USB drive and won't have to install it onto a hard disk. Use it from time to time and don't be afraid of it. If for some reason anything goes "wrong", you can reburn the ISO onto the USB drive.

One thing: it will run slightly slower from a USB flash drive than if you were to install it onto a hard drive.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

MintyO wrote:
Exarch Isodo wrote:..........Because if Linux Mint was perfect for everything, wouldnt everyone be using it?

That's not logically solid in any way. There's lots of things where something is known to be the "best way" and yet vast majority of people are doing/using/.. something else. Also, as Moem, I don't think Mint is perfect but choose to use it for reasons.

As for some sort of answer to your question: If you install Cinnamon desktop* and there's no problems or you get things sorted easily, you'll have a system that feels very much like Windows 7 - but is not as you'll notice, possibly in a good way. If you continue having no malfunctions you won't have to use any command line wizardry, just click away on things you would do on any computer. If something goes belly up you might find that problem solving is actually much easier in linux than in Windows** and you have this wonderful forum to read up on things and ask questions.

* Other desktops will have similar effect
** As a linux system gives you unlimited access to your system, and with the command line as your tool it will be an easy access. Plus there's good communities online to look for help.
Yes, if Mint were perfect, everyone would be using it. But there's no such thing as perfect for any OS.

A few people (and a friend of mine) have asked me questions like "What's the best laptop?", "What's the best program to do this, that, etc?" There's no answer to that. I can use a word processing program to do a bang-up brochure, while someone else using a publisher program can end up doing a mediocre brochure.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Exarch Isodo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exarch Isodo »

MintyO wrote:

That's not logically solid in any way.

You are, absolutely, correct. It wasnt intended to be. Not in any way. I know theres no "perfect OS". I also know that if I switch from Windows to Mint, Im just exchanging one set of problems for another. It was intended for people to tell me why it isnt "perfect for everyone", and give me an idea on what those problems are, which they have... In great detail. For which, I am deeply appreciative.

Also, if it came across as arrogant or malicious in any way, I do apologize.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I find it difficult to understand why people still come here stating that they don't know anything about programming and they don't know how to code blah blah blah, where does this come from? what decade ? I've been using Linux for about 6 years or more, and before I got here I didn't know a thing about it, had no idea what a 'coder' even was, and had never really heard of 'programming', and I'd never even heard of a terminal either. The previous 10 years was spent with windows 95 to XP etc where I'd never heard the terms yet it always seems to be ex windows users that come out with these statements !

Either way, I tend to think if you found your way here, it's usually from a dissatisfaction with windows, so it's just a matter of keep trying them out til you find the one that suits you, there's more distros and desktops than you can shake a sh*** stick at so all it will cost you is time (and bandwidth) there isn't a 'best one', just the best one for you . . . . . . .
welcome aboard.

anakirob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is Linux Mint the right choice for me? [SOLVED]

Post by anakirob »

As long as you have the technical expertice to install Linux alongside your essential 64 bit Windows or MacOS install then using Mint as your main OS is definitely recommended.

"If you are looking for the best Linux to run on a modest PC Mint is the tits!" I hope that does not trigger a content filter but how else can I emphatically recommend it in an way top accurately express the concept in a short catchphrase.

Even with the CPU issue I mentioned in another thread this is largely due to my laptop machine being used like a media server. If I let it sleep for even an hour it's good as new.

Highly customisable Ubuntu compatible windows like out of the box with VLC, DVD, minimal problems wioth hardware compatibility and GIMP! Install a better Word Processor and uninstall LibreOffice and crappy lesser viewers included and just install one or two smaller word processors to handle text in certain ways, and maybe a browser which does not default to Yahoo but otherwise you're all good :) or just do what I did and uninstall the crappy office apps I will never use as I use the cloud for boring business shit myself. Once again I will totally censor my words if need be as I know not everybody speaks colloquial australian english, less than 20 million worldwide, but we are all mature adults here regardless of age right? :)

I hope my evaluation is adequate to at least convince you to try installing on a spare laptop at least so surely we're all good here with my slightly crude but hopefully witty and informative short review.

On my scale I would give mint 9.1 out of 10 which is like a whole point higher than MacOS at 8.0 and Microsoft's offerings all lower than that in this reviewers opinion but XP was a solid 7.5 as is 7 and 8 is an 8 also on the condition that you are using a touch screen and USB HUB capable device.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot »

Exarch Isodo wrote:

You are, absolutely, correct. It wasnt intended to be. Not in any way. I know theres no "perfect OS". I also know that if I switch from Windows to Mint, Im just exchanging one set of problems for another. It was intended for people to tell me why it isnt "perfect for everyone", and give me an idea on what those problems are, which they have... In great detail. For which, I am deeply appreciative.

Also, if it came across as arrogant or malicious in any way, I do apologize.
There's no point in asking this type of questions because the best way is always to find out for yourself - it won't byte your head off. :mrgreen: All else is hearsay you'll be none the wiser for. Don't listen to anybody's opinion but have patience; you haven't learnt the intricacies of Windows in a day and that goes for Linux as well.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1
Intel G1820, DDR3 8GB, Nvidia GT720(2GB)

Return to “Newbie Questions”