Is Linux Mint the right choice for me? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Is Linux Mint the right choice for me?

Post by JerryF »

Exarch Isodo wrote:
MintyO wrote:
Exarch Isodo wrote:..........Because if Linux Mint was perfect for everything, wouldnt everyone be using it?

That's not logically solid in any way.

You are, absolutely, correct. It wasnt intended to be. Not in any way. I know theres no "perfect OS". I also know that if I switch from Windows to Mint, Im just exchanging one set of problems for another. It was intended for people to tell me why it isnt "perfect for everyone", and give me an idea on what those problems are, which they have... In great detail. For which, I am deeply appreciative.

Also, if it came across as arrogant or malicious in any way, I do apologize.
You didn't come across as arrogant or malicious---not at all. :D
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Is Linux Mint the right choice for me? [SOLVED]

Post by JerryF »

anakirob wrote:... Install a better Word Processor and uninstall LibreOffice...
What other word processors do you find better than Libre Writer?
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

IMO - Mint is the best/easiest choice for users going from Windows to Linux, especially if your hardware can run the Cinnamon DE. But like what was suggested earlier, get yourself the live ISO on a DVD or USB, boot into it and take a test drive :mrgreen:
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is Linux Mint the right choice for me?

Post by jimallyn »

Exarch Isodo wrote:I also know that if I switch from Windows to Mint, Im just exchanging one set of problems for another.
I think with Mint you will find that that set of problems is smaller than it is with Windows. A lot of Linux users have found that, when they get their friends using Linux, the amount of computer support they have to do drops drastically.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Exarch Isodo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exarch Isodo »

Thank you all for your advice, and experiences with Linux Mint. I am ABSOLUTELY try this distro out. If I have any problems, this will be my first stop for troubleshooting!

Regards

Exarch

Return to “Newbie Questions”