[SOLVED]Looking for good RDP server/guide

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hierophant
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Looking for good RDP server/guide

Post by hierophant »

I'm using : "Linux Mint 18.1 Serena" - Mate Desktop
Looking to find a rdp server for my machine. I tried installing xrdp after searching the web a bit. From my windows 7 pc it kept failing at connecting to 127.0.0.1:5910. my firewall is set to allow this port for IPV4 and 6. I was logged into the linux box on the user name I was trying to log into rpd server with, not sure if that matters or not. So I've uninstalled xrdp and have come here looking for some help. I'd like to know if anyone knows of an easier to configure rdp server for use in this situation or better yet a guide on how to install and configure xrdp or some other rdp server.
Last edited by hierophant on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Looking for good RDP server/guide

Post by EmpireITtech »

So you have a Linux desktop and a Windows desktop setup on 2 separate machines, correct? And you're trying to use the Linux box to RDP into the Windows box, correct? Or the other way around?

To go from Linux to Windows, I've used Remmina with great success (Borat voice) - let me know on the questions above, and we can go from there :wink:
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

hierophant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hierophant »

I'm trying to connect from my windows machine to my linux machine. Thanks a bunch for the response!

edir: Yea, they are two separate machines. On the same network and can ping one another successfully.

hierophant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hierophant »

Update:
Uninstalled xrdp
Installed tightvncserver on linux box and tightvnc viewer on windows box

edited Xstartup using this guide:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1188

works great now

Return to “Newbie Questions”