a problem connecting to wi-fi

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TheRazor
Level 1
Level 1

a problem connecting to wi-fi

Post by TheRazor »

I had a Linux Mint 17.2 running perfect in my computer. I wanted to install v 18.1 but I had a problem connecting to wi-fi. The OS recognize the wi-fi conections but never connect. I came back to 17.2 and it is running perfect. (I have to say that I have tryed many other OS like Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Zorin OS, and Mint Mate, lastest versions all of them and none worked, they all have the same problem) I tryed in a laptop too and I had the same issue. Anyone knows what can be the problem? I had read about problems with privative network cards but, the hardware works when Mint shows the list of wifi con

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: a problem connecting to wi-fi

Post by Hoser Rob »

Not much useful system info there ... copy/paste this into the terminal and copy/paste the text output back here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: a problem connecting to wi-fi

Post by EmpireITtech »

Like Rob said, knowing your hardware info will be important here, however if I were to guess - the newer Linux versions are using a kernel that is unsupported initially by your wireless adapter..? Just my thought, but maybe that is wrong...let us know the postback from inxi

Thanks!
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

Return to “Newbie Questions”