Seeing 2 Different Login Screens (Mint 18)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Slouch
Level 1
Level 1

Seeing 2 Different Login Screens (Mint 18)

Post by Slouch »

Hi there,

I'm wondering why, when booting Mint 18 Cinnamon, sometimes a small square login screen appears with a drop-down menu on top, and other times I get a full-width login screen with an image background.

It seems to be random when each screen appears.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Scott
small1.jpg
small2.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintyO

Re: Seeing 2 Different Login Screens (Mint 18)

Post by MintyO »

Due to the random nature, I'd say it's a symptom of the same bug that's causing the autologin to fail for many users - myself included. Just a guess though.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

What you show are 2 different login screen themes. I did not encounter until now the situation, where the theme changes on its own.

Open the login screen settings and see, which theme is selected in the settings.
Slouch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Slouch »

Cosmo. wrote:What you show are 2 different login screen themes. I did not encounter until now the situation, where the theme changes on its own.

Open the login screen settings and see, which theme is selected in the settings.
Mint-X (Default Linux Mint theme) is selected.

Apparently, it alternates between Mint-X and GTK (No theme).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Mh, that is the default.

Try this: switch to another theme and then back to the default theme. Watch, if this helps.
Slouch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Slouch »

Cosmo. wrote:Mh, that is the default.

Try this: switch to another theme and then back to the default theme. Watch, if this helps.
The theme still randomly switches to GTK, and back to Mint-X after selecting another theme, and re-selecting Mint-X.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

As I already wrote, I did never see such a behavior. Also I cannot remember having ever read about this issue before. Further more I am out of an idea, what happens here.

How old is the system?
Did you encounter this behavior from the beginning or when did it start to behave so? What system changes did you do shortly before it happened?

Return to “Beginner Questions”