Installing Xed [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Installing Xed [SOLVED]

Post by cecilieaux »

In http://www.noobslab.com/2017/04/xed-tex ... mpete.html I read about Xed and was prompted to try it. I am running Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa) 64-bit.

When I added the repository ppa:noobslab/apps I got the message:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"
This is beginning to pop up with some frequency. Isn't Unity just for Ubuntu? Should I ignore it?

Then when I go to install (sudo apt-get install xed), I get:
E: Unable to locate package xed
Why do they have instructions that plain don't work? What am I missing here?
Last edited by cecilieaux on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
richyrich

Re: Installing Xed

Post by richyrich »

You used the WRONG PPA ! Read that article again . . there are NO listed PPA's for Mint 17.x (Ubu 14.04). (Mint 18 = Ubu 16.04)
Last edited by richyrich on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Even the second link will not work for Mint 17.x (Ubuntu 14.04 based). And I wonder, why you want to install xed, which is the fork of gedit, which comes with Mint 17.x.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Thx Cosmo. , I was editing my post when you made your reply. :-)
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

cecilieaux wrote:I am running Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa) 64-bit. ... Why do they have instructions that plain don't work? What am I missing here?
Linux Mint 17.3 is based on Ubuntu 14.04, to which these instructions do not appear to apply.

Joe
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

And that blog, like most Linux blogs, is absolute CRAP. pjotr's is one of the few good ones. I generally go to ubuntuforums or askubuntu for such things. But you do have to know which release is valid for you Mint release because Linux does not have backwards compatibility like Windows does. Or forwards comaptibility either.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
smokinmoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smokinmoe »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:43 am Linux does not have backwards compatibility like Windows does.
Windows has backwards compatibility??? News to me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”