install from a USB stick.[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wahabiii

install from a USB stick.[SOLVED]

Post by wahabiii »

my laptop doesn't have a CD drive
I've installed windows from a flash drive before but, is it possible and how can i install Mint with a flashdrive
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: install from a USB stick.

Post by killer de bug »

You can use unetbootin or rufus to create a bootable USB stick. It will enable you to install Linux Mint from a USB stick.

Unetbootin tutorial: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-une ... usb-linux/
Rufus tutorial: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ... on-windows

Maybe Rufus is more modern and more powerful. But I'm not sure.

In order to install, boot on the stick, check if everything is working correctly and get used with the system. When you are ready double click on the install icon on the desktop. The wizard will guide you through the install.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

killer de bug wrote: Maybe Rufus is more modern and more powerful. But I'm not sure.
In my experience, I've found this to be true for the performance part. Used Unetbootin for many years, and then in Jan 2017 switched to Rufus and was amazed by the speed it writes. It's not really more "modern", the features are basically the same as any other bootable USB writer, but it is fast for sure :mrgreen:

Follow killer's advise, those guides should work great for you.
Jaydemir

Post by Jaydemir »

Pendrivelinux is what created my very first Linux Mint drive ever. I'd recommend it
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

h8r1dx4

Post by h8r1dx4 »

Hi wahabiii

If you are using windows to make your bootable USB I would recommend YUMI.
Is lightweight fast and easy to use and works with Mint (I used it).

Here is a link to the pendriverlinux page
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mult ... b-creator/

Regards
wahabiii

Post by wahabiii »

thank you guys i really appreciate all the different answers and how quickly i got them. It helped me understand a lot more of what i was doing.
I have successfully booted from the thumb drive thanks to all of your help.
h8r1dx4

Post by h8r1dx4 »

That's good to hear.

Remember to mark your post as [SOLVED]

Regards,

Return to “Beginner Questions”