Updating the Kernel, and should I do it?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Updating the Kernel, and should I do it?

Post by MurphCID »

I noticed that there are additional Kernels listed under the update manager. However I am afraid to go off of the status quo. I looked and was unable to find anything that really applies to me here in the forums. I noticed on You Tube, it seems to be the wisdom to update to the most current kernel, such as the 4.10 series. My system is running fine and I have no issues, but it seems to be getting sold on the net as a "safety and security" issue, with Demoidedo claiming that it cured the ills of his system in regards to his Realtek wireless card. So since Mint has not seen fit to upgrade the Kernel, there is obviously a reason, so would it be a BAD IDEA to upgrade? I am an utter noob in regards to Linux. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Updating the Kernal, and should I do it?

Post by richyrich »

My system is running fine and I have no issues,..
I'm still running kernel 3.13 on one of my Mint 17 machines. I have NO plans on ever upgrading the kernel on that machine. It is running flawlessly, why take a fools chance on breaking it !

And I'm sticking with the latest in the LTS 4.4 series kernel on another. The 4.8 and 4.10 series are not LTS kernels.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Updating the Kernel, and should I do it?

Post by jimallyn »

I think most of us on the Mint forums stick to the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" philosophy. I have upgraded my Mint 18.1 install to the latest kernel in the 4.4 series, but I wouldn't use a 4.8 or 4.10 kernel unless there was something in it that I needed: drivers for newer hardware, etc. One good thing about upgrading kernels is that installing a new kernel does not remove the old kernel, so if there are problems with the new kernel, you can still boot to the old kernel.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

I read somewhere on a "things to do after installing Linux Mint" site ... stick with the series kernel that was installed. So in Mint 18.1 Mate, I'm sticking with the 4.4 series kernel. I update/install each and every new 4.4.0-XX when available. I also remove the one that was replaced (after a reboot to ensure the new one works). Only exception is that I have kept the original 4.4.0-53 as it is noted "Recommended for stability - installed", in case I need to fall back to it for any reason. The newest 4.4.0-XX is always noted as "Recommended for security - active", after installation and reboot. The oldest most stable and the newest most secure in the series are the only two I keep. I wouldn't even consider installing a higher series of kernel than the series that came with the distro. Following this procedure, I have not encountered any problems or issues thus far and I feel safe knowing I always have a fall back kernel installed if there is a problem ... then I'll just have to remember how to get to the grub menu on boot ;) LOL

EDIT: As far as removing kernels to keep grub lean and mean, there are at least a couple of ways. I always just remove previous kernels from within the Update Manager - kernels. Then, go into Package Manager and remove residuals. Doing it that way, I've never had to mess with terminal windows or manually update grub.

I too was ALWAYS in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp until kernels were annotated with "stability" and "security" in the update manager. I'll take one of each LOL ... in the same kernel series the distro was issued with
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

JoeBingo wrote:I read somewhere on a "things to do after installing Linux Mint" site ...
Probably this one:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

Lots of good stuff there! Check out the whole site when you have time.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

^^^ that site exactly. I ALWAYS (carefully) go through the recommendations any time I install a distro. Good stuff
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Diverge from many nixers here opinion on this. It's harmless, so why not try it and see. Don't like, revert to older kernel and purge those you don't like. As long as it's official and provided in LM's software repos, can't see any harm.

The fine folks @ kernel.org aren't just sitting around twiddling their thumbs, newer versions are supposed to have enhancements/improvements generally. So where's the harm ?

Yep, I run a custom compiled 4.10.10 version vanilla kernel here. Honestly nothing great stands out performance-wise in it vs a stock kernel though, shrugs.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

MurphCID wrote:I noticed on You Tube, it seems to be the wisdom to update to the most current kernel
YouTube videos and wisdom are seldom something, what goes hand in hand.
MurphCID wrote:My system is running fine and I have no issues
Which increase of "fine" and "no issues" is at all thinkable? I get only to the results: "works bad" and "has issues". I doubt, that you want that.
MurphCID wrote:Demoidedo claiming that it cured the ills of his system in regards to his Realtek wireless card.
The important word in this sentence is: "his". You don't want to cure his system, but you want to retain your fine working system.

In your case: Security updates (in the same series) are valid, but even they can break (a part of) the system. So make sure, that you know beforehand, how to load an older kernel and never delete the kernel, that is known to work perfectly. It is possible, that you find a glitch with the newer kernel only after some time and need to get back.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Bookmarked, it is my "go to" site for all things Mint and Linux.
jimallyn wrote:
JoeBingo wrote:I read somewhere on a "things to do after installing Linux Mint" site ...
Probably this one:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

Lots of good stuff there! Check out the whole site when you have time.
ColdBoot

Post by ColdBoot »

Speaking of which, can somebody tell me where can be checked the EOL for any particular kernel? I've switched to 4.10.0-20 but don't know if it'll be supported till the end of the year.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Kernel 4.10 is no LTS release. More to be found here.
ColdBoot

Post by ColdBoot »

Yes, this is understood Cosmo, but where can be found a comprehensive info about all kernels EOL, if there be such a place? Releases page on kernel.org is not detailed enough (no mention of 4.10 at all).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you want to compile the kernel on your own? If not, you obviously use the kernels provided by Ubuntu, so the linked page gives all info, which is at now available.
ColdBoot

Post by ColdBoot »

That page shows no mention of any kernels newer than 4.8. I don't understand what vTBD refers to?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't know, what vTBD stands exactly for. But you see this for those Ubuntu versions, which are to be released only in the future. It seems, that v stands for version (like in v4.8) and TBD (=To be defined?) replaces the not yet set version number.

In short: relax and wait a little bit. As you can see, the page had been updated 2 months ago. So newer information cannot exist there. It seems, that you are looking for an information, which is not yet published.

Doing a short search I found this (1st search hit). Here you can read:
NOTE that Canonical does not support these Kernel packages. They are not appropriate for production use.
Although this is not an official statement you can draw the conclusion: Not recommended, as long as you are not very knowledgeable and you know by yourself, how to solve any problem. The warning against using it for production stays in any case.
ColdBoot

Post by ColdBoot »

+1 thanks Cosmo, :D

Tiny graphics on Ubuntu, difficult to read even when zoomed in. 8) :mrgreen:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I think TBD = to be determined.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So, really dumb question: If the latest Kernels are NOT supported and/or NOT a good idea, why show them, or allow them to be installed? As I get older, I am less inclined to tinker with things that work, unlike in my early days, where I would break stuff just to see what I could do. Now mission critical stability is a "Good Thing" in my mind.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

On some systems / hardware those kernels might be needed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

MurphCID wrote:
So, really dumb question: If the latest Kernels are NOT supported
Of course they are supported, otherwise they wouldn't be shown. Do you mean long term support? 4.8 and 4.10 are not long term support, but they are supported for 6 months (I think it is 6 months).

A while ago I updated to the 4.8 kernel mostly for the reason to see if it worked on my system, since I think that will be the kernel in Mint 18.2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It worked just fine. However, last week I reinstalled 18.1 and decided to stick with the 4.4 kernel series.

Return to “Beginner Questions”