Best way to Backup and Restore Mint and Data

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dynamikspeed

Best way to Backup and Restore Mint and Data

Post by dynamikspeed »

It takes me hours to manually backup my data before clean install and then reinstall all my apps and settings.
I use lucky backup to backup my core files is there a better and faster way to do this and save my application settings too?

Is there a simple way i can auto install the latest version of my apps after clean install.
I suppose a shell script would do it but not sure.
I want something that runs all the updates in update manager level 1-3
installs all my software 1 by 1 and restores my software settings
performs other necessary tasks after a clean install.

Can anyone recommend a real encrypted cloud backup solution or is it best to do it to usb?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Best way to Backup and Restore Mint and Data

Post by Cosmo. »

For classical backup I recommend Back in Time. It can work fully automated.
If you backup your complete home, also the application settings are included.

An alternative for settings and sources is Aptik.
dynamikspeed wrote:I want something that runs all the updates in update manager level 1-3
This is - at now - not possible, because no tool does now anything about the level system (except the update manager itself). In the next version of Mint there will be a way to run the update manager from the command line.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

another way is to clone the whole system with CloneZilla - http://clonezilla.org/
and to just copy your data to an external usb HDD, as you change any files.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... page=0%2C3
is a list of some Free Backup Programs for Linux. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Faust

Post by Faust »

I use Aptik and Timeshift as part of my regular back-up routine .
I tested restore , even though I didn't need to , and everything was perfect .
I also use Clonezilla now and then , and keep the clone on a spare drive , but I don't update it so often .

I've put a lot of work into my Linux system and I wouldn't want to lose it , but maybe I'm over-cautious ?

It's the " Belt and braces " approach ...call me old-fashioned if you like :)
walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by walterdowis »

I use Clonezilla for a complete disk image. I've relied on Clonezilla several times to restore my disk. I use Grsync to just backup folders and files. I've experimented with APTIK but I use Grsync.
dynamikspeed

Post by dynamikspeed »

Thanks for your responses. I am going to look into all of those apps.

I want to be able to compress and encrypt the backup to external usb drive. (preferably with incremental backup)
I don't think any of the backup apps support this. Is there an easy way to do this?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

dynamikspeed wrote:Thanks for your responses. I am going to look into all of those apps.

I want to be able to compress and encrypt the backup to external usb drive. (preferably with incremental backup)
I don't think any of the backup apps support this. Is there an easy way to do this?
FSarchiver will compress and password protect a backup. (Not incremental)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Back in Time can encrypt the backup, but not compress it. This has a reason. BiT backs up in every session the complete source, but - and this is the important part, which saves space and time - every file, which is already in an older backup and had not been changed since the last backup (so very identical), does not get physically copied again, but a hard link gets created instead. This makes it necessary, that the backed up files are readable for the program, with compressing this would mean a tremendous waste of time. The advantage of this method compared with incremental backups: If you want to a restore from any of the older backups (you may have after some time a number of them), you only need to restore from this single backup (BiT calls them snapshots), so no restore from the last full backup and then another restore from the incremental backup.

Besides that: For the purpose to backup just for a new install I recommend the method by simply copying the files and folders. After restoring this temporary backup can easily get deleted. Advantage: It might be, that you find, that you want to restore some, but not all of the settings files (for system and programs). With a simple copy this is the easiest way to do this.
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

dynamikspeed wrote:Thanks for your responses. I am going to look into all of those apps.

As far as I know, incremental backups are a little less reliable. If one increment breaks, or anything breaks, maybe you can't use your later backups because the chain of increments is damaged. Just to let you know. :)
bobk1948

Post by bobk1948 »

Probably you haven't deployed this model, but a very modern and easy way is to have your user data (all the home folders for each user, except possibly the administrator) on a separate hard disk. If you are the only user, your home folders on a separate hard disk. Only the system itself on its own SSD. This separate disk can be a big capacity spinning internal (inside the case) disk or external hard disk (USB3.0, ESATA), big capacity USB3.0 thumbdrive, etc..

Now the key to it all: the separate drive should have one zfs zpool on it, with all your user file systems in that pool. That way you can export and then import the zpool on the separate drive when rebuilding the OS (or it has crashed on the SSD irreparably.) Or most importantly zfs mirror that separate disk with zfs onto a third disk. Thus your data is backed up continuously.

The only downsides to this model, aside from the fact that you didn't start out your storage scheme this way, are: For some performance reason the OS and the data need to be on the same drive, or you use LXD and the containers and their database must be on the same drive.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I have found the perfect way to do just this...using a free software called Redo Backup and Recovery which creates a System Image of the whole HDD including the Operating System. It's very easy to use...just download the iso and burn it to a disk...plug in an external hard drive...create a folder and name it what ever you like...I call mine Mint Backup.

Boot to the disk and select Backup...select Source drive then Destination which is the folder you created and away you go. To Recover just do the reverse...it's that easy. To create a System Restore point just like in windows I use Timeshift which works great...month to month.

Since moving to Linux I've noticed most people just backup files and folders which is fine...but what happens if your HDD fails. In my case I'd have to re-install...the OS...Google Chrome and all my add-ons to both Chrome and Firefox...Virtual Box and my VM and all the software in my VM and any software I've installed on the OS.

Another good thing about having a System Image you can install it on another Computer or HDD...something Microsoft would never allow. :lol: Anway give it a try you've nothing to loose.

Edit...I stopped using Redo not long after this post because it gave my errors Image when back to Macrium which has always worked Great. Image
Last edited by bob466 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
dynamikspeed

Post by dynamikspeed »

I have found a good way to do what i want.
I have formatted my usb to ext4 and encrypted it in the disk manager.
I am using lucky backup to sync files and folders with a cron job added.

I have setup Aptik and it's great just what I needed. I am trying to run this on the command line but its not working does anyone know how to run it on the command line?

Code: Select all

sudo aptik --/media/iq/64GBStick/_MYBACKUP/Aptik --password mypassword --yes --backup-ppa --backup-packages --backup-users --backup-configs --backup-themes --backup-mounts --backup-crontab
This just runs the help file again and nothing happens?
I don't want to run the backup all options as I want to exclude downloaded apps and home folder backup.

I am testing Timeshift but get asked at the start RSYNC or BTRFS, which one should I choose?
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

dynamikspeed wrote:
I am testing Timeshift but get asked at the start RSYNC or BTRFS, which one should I choose?
Mine is set to RSYNC...it you open Timeshift and click "Wizard" it explains what the options are.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
mybrid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mybrid »

I use LVM, snapshot and rsync.

I posted a suggestion to Linux Mint to include a check box on installation to use LVM with a 20% physical disk reserve. Snapshots make hot backups trivial.

On my laptop I have two drives: 500GB and 1TB.

I use rsync to backup the 500GB drive to the 1TB drive. I do not compress the data.

I have a retention policy of monthly and current day. I overwrite the daily snapshot backup each day. I archive the daily snapshot monthly.

I have two years worth of monthly backups on my 1TB drive. This is made possible in part because 80% of the space on the 500GB drive is large files like music, videos and photos. My python script to perform backups skips the large file directories, i.e. rsync --skip.

Once a month I rsync both the monthly snap shot and the large file directories to a 3TB external drive.

I can pop in a new hard drive, install Linux Mint from Live version on the USB key, rsync from the 1TB drive to the new disk, be up and running in less than on hour. I also use this method to create VMs.

Cheers!
SnuffGear

Post by SnuffGear »

Let's see if I have this correct? If I use Back In Time to backup my Mint 17.2 HOME to an external hd, then wipe my dual boot drive and reinstall just 17.2, then restore HOME from the backuo, all should be good?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yep.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

Faust wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 am I use Aptik and Timeshift as part of my regular back-up routine .
I tested restore , even though I didn't need to , and everything was perfect .
I also use Clonezilla now and then , and keep the clone on a spare drive , but I don't update it so often .

I've put a lot of work into my Linux system and I wouldn't want to lose it , but maybe I'm over-cautious ?

It's the " Belt and braces " approach ...call me old-fashioned if you like :)
Now a days Timeshift sometimes takes FOREVER on initial DRY RUN while RESTORE process. It never advances. Works from terminal command and sometimes fail in there too. Timeshift is a piece of crap now.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

" Belt and braces " - nothing wrong with that!

Mint sat on an SSD with separate partitions for / and /home. 2TB HDD sat in the ultrabay of my laptop purely for backup purposes. With separate partitions, when I upgrade I can leave /home as is and install new version of mint into previous / partition.

Backintime and timeshift, both automated (daily) backing up to 2TB HDD, as this is SATA3 high transfer speeds and quick.
Redo for partition images, manually booting from USB stick and backing up to 2TB HDD (v quick) and occasionally to external USB HDD (much slower).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI dynamikspeed,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are various types of backing up options and many posts on this topic in this forum.

Anytime you backup your whole system could take a long time depending on how many folders and files are being backed up. I think it is a good idea to have more than one backup drive and alternate them when backing up in case one of the drives goes bad, or something happens while backing up (power outage, hardware failure, etc..) then you still have the other drive. I also recommend using more than one backup option below.

I recommend that you create backup folders for any backup method and or application you choose on the destination backup drive so that you know what backup method and application was used for the backed up data and can restore properly if needed.

1.) "Disk Image backup": Backs up entire disks and or partitions. Can take a lot of time. I usually run these overnight. This is good to do before installing Linux Mint, after installing Linux Mint and configuring it the way you want, and before major updates or after adding a lot of new software applications. I usually run this once a month or more. Can restore entire drives or just partitions.

"Clonezilla Live" compression and encryption options, apparently not so easy for new people, but works great. Is simple to use after you get used to its interface and options.

"Disks" (gnome-disk) - easy to use, but no compression

- various other disk and partition imaging applications, etc....

2.) "Aptik" - excellent backup utility for backing up all your Linux Mint customizations, installed applications, and optionally everything in your Home folder. Can take a while, if you select to backup your entire Home folder which I rarely do using this because I already have my Home folder backed up using other backup methods (disk images and sync). I run this after installing Linux Mint and configuring it the way I want, after installing a lot of new software, etc... If you need or want to do a fresh installation of Linux Mint, install Linux Mint, install Aptik, restore from your Aptik backup.

3.) "Snapshots" - Snapshot applications like "timeshift", "Back In Time", etc... these can take as long or longer to run than doing image backups unless you use the Linux BTRFS file system, then they are quick, but BTRFS can be problematic. These can also take up a lot of space except with the BTRFS file system. I do not use "snapshots" myself but other people love them. Snapshots are easy to setup and use.

4.) "File Sync" (synchronization) - "LuckyBack", "FreeFileSync", "rsync", "rclone", "syncthing", etc... are examples of file sync applications. I use Lucky Backup and Free File Sync. The syncing options are for frequent (daily or weekly) fast incremental backups because after running them the first time, these will backup (copy) only the new and or changed folders and files. Because these are not usually compressed, they are easily available on the backup drive to read, copy, etc...

5.) "Cloud storage" - Internet-based backup and or storage. Most of the cloud providers have their own Linux and other sync clients which can be running all the time or whenever you choose and you can choose what to backup (sync). You can also use 3rd party software like those mentioned above to sync to various cloud accounts as well. Because this is through the Internet, this is not great for backing up larger amounts of data (large folders and files) or an entire system and you would have to have enough cloud storage space to perform the backup. Cloud providers are great for syncing some folders and files and or computers using any operating system and or devices (any smartphone or tablet using Android or iPhone/iPad) with other computers and or devices. If you want to have all your videos, music, pictures, documents, whatever, etc... automatically (or when you choose) backed up and available on any or all other computers and or devices you have, this is a great option.

For example: I boot up into various operating systems like various Linux Mint editions and I want some data always current and available like my passwords (keepass), my CherryTree notes, "autokey" data, some documents and or multimedia files, and using a cloud sync client provides that transparently (after setting up what I want synced it is automatically done).

Tip: If you have a lot of multimedia files like videos (movies), music, pictures, etc... (gigabytes or more), then you might consider creating a new drive partition for these like a "Data" or "MultiMedia" partition and moving these files there instead of your main drives(s) that you backup frequently which will speed up your normal backups, because these files are not changing or being updated usually except for adding new ones or removing ones you don't want anymore, and you can use another backup option for those like the "sync" backup options, or just back that up separately.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Mac to Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mac to Linux »

I am bringing this thread back to life. As a new Linux Mint 21 user with all updates applied, backups have been the bane of my journey from Mac OS X. I inadvertently toasted my LM installation three times trying to create an external bootable backup volume. I spent days working on this task, whereas in the Mac it is drop-dead simple, it takes less than two minutes to setup, and it runs in the background with no perceptible hit on my workflow.

The solutions proposed in this thread seem antiquated and I tried them all: Clonezilla, BackInTime, Lucky Backup, Deja-Dup, etc. Most of them suffer the same issue, which is poor recognition of internal partitions or external volumes. I somewhat "successfully" made backups with each of these apps, however getting them to recognize the backup file (or even the volume) was unsuccessful afterward. With Clonezilla (Vortex) I made a SSD-to-SSD clone, however my two 1TB SSDs were slightly different sizes, so the clone failed.

Prior to installing Linux Mint for the third time, I partitioned my SK Hynix internal SSD into two 500GB EXT4 volumes using LM's Disks app followed by GParted, and I formatted my external SSD to a single EXT4 volume. My hardware is an unmodified HP Dev One laptop, and a Samsung SSD 980 in a Plugable USB-C enclosure.

At this point I am sticking with Linux Mint's three included apps -- TimeShift, Backup Tool and Backups -- and hoping they will piecemeal a backup job together. However there are glitches with two out of the three apps: TimeShift recognizes my internal SSD's second 500 GB partition, but it does not recognize my external 1TB SSD complaining "Selected device does not have a Linux partition." And Backups app does not recognize my second internal SSD partition, with no way I can see to enter a destination via text entry, nor select the volume via GUI. I applied chmod 777 to both volumes with no apparent effect.

I feel spoiled by the combination Apple's Time Machine and Shirt-Pocket's SuperDuper! (a beautiful rsync GUI). All I can say as a new Linux user is: WHAT A MESS. Trying to get volumes to mount reliably after a reboot, and trying to get backup software to recognize them has felt like water-boarding.

Baffled and confused, frustrated, but open to suggestions. This thread provides constructive ideas:

viewtopic.php?t=347580
Last edited by Mac to Linux on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”