Keylogger Trojan Problem Mint 17 qiana

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adamofb

Re: Keylogger Trojan Problem Mint 17 qiana

Post by adamofb »

turtlebay wrote:
adamofb wrote: ps - I don't know how to mark this as closed - can somebody do that? Thanks.
Click on your first post and add [Solved] to the title, then save.
Thanks for that, I'm new here and browsing without images loading - things can look a little obscure.

I am not closing it yet because I'm finding out more as I go.

The next thing I can do that reproduces this thing is Glade, building a GUI.
If I am adding, lets say, a combo box list of items, and it says "type here" and I click only once, instead of twice,
then the dreaded box opens up right underneath it and sucks in my typing.
Also if I don't click at all after changing windows on the task bar.

What I am going to do soon is delete my casper-rw partition and put myself back to a clean install
and see if it goes away. Last time I did this it did go away. I will report back.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

adamofb wrote:Try starting the file manager application from the toolbar files button at the bottom of the screen and, without setting the focus anywhere, type Alt Gr x - happens every time on mine (Mint 17 cinnamon). If you set the focus I don't think it happens.
Yep, with this method I get the search box. I get the search inside of the file manager also, if i simple type a search expression (without AltGr) - but not always. Sometimes it pops up, but not always, there is no clear pattern. Sometimes it happens after I have pressed the tab key (although I have only one tab open in the file manager).
It appears, as by entering the name of an object in the current folder the file manager jumps at once to the first matching item; if it cannot find a matching item it opens this search box, which closes itself after a few minutes; I have no idea, what this might be good for.

But in no case I am able to get this search box opened on the desktop, whatever I try to force it.
adamofb

Post by adamofb »

Cosmo. wrote:
adamofb wrote:Try starting the file manager application from the toolbar files button at the bottom of the screen and, without setting the focus anywhere, type Alt Gr x - happens every time on mine (Mint 17 cinnamon). If you set the focus I don't think it happens.
Yep, with this method I get the search box. I get the search inside of the file manager also, if i simple type a search expression (without AltGr) - but not always. Sometimes it pops up, but not always, there is no clear pattern. Sometimes it happens after I have pressed the tab key (although I have only one tab open in the file manager).
It appears, as by entering the name of an object in the current folder the file manager jumps at once to the first matching item; if it cannot find a matching item it opens this search box, which closes itself after a few minutes; I have no idea, what this might be good for.

But in no case I am able to get this search box opened on the desktop, whatever I try to force it.
I managed to do it - if you click on the menu bar the box opens up on or about the bar itself. Seems to be not related to any application - general to the menu bar I would say. I gave up on it and am continuing regardless. I re-booted and wiped my casper-rw cache and it's in the original package install, which was done from a standard mint 17 plus a pile of apps from the app cache using app install. Quite a clean slate really, apart from my home directory. Could live in there I suppose. Oh well, I hope someone who looks after the menu bar sees this and has a look. Ii should help them find something. I have some kde apps installed, and it could be that, yet so do most people. It's pretty hard not to if you do video editing.

Best wishes
Adam
Capella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Capella »

I have the same window on my computer--Mint 18-Cinnamon--what bothers me is that it shows up when I type the first digit into the password screen on Vera-crypt! (but only once in a while) It shows up on the bottom right just above the clock in the panel...and shows the password as I type it-not asterisks or blank. The second I stop typing it disapears and I have to click back into the vera-crypt password screen. I hate seeing an important password in plain view on my desktop--is there any way to stop this?
I will keep trying to get a screenshot or picture but it disappears so fast.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I think we know, what you mean and as I wrote already in this thread, a camera is mostly the only chance to get a picture.

Return to “Beginner Questions”