After right password "Access denied" twice and then command run

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Artur005
Level 2
Level 2

After right password "Access denied" twice and then command run

Post by Artur005 »

Hello!

After some updates I start to have 2x "Access denied" after sudo password in terminal, but it works.
For example, I enter "sudo caja", then enter correct password and output is 2 lines of "Access denied" and then caja starts...
Can anybody explain why it happen?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: After right password "Access denied" twice and then command run

Post by Mute Ant »

Running graphic applications using sudo can leave you without proper access to your own files...
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo
https://askubuntu.com/questions/425620/ ... ifferences
You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as Root.You should use gksudo (kdesudo on Kubuntu) to run such programs. gksudo sets HOME=~root, and copies .Xauthority to a tmp directory. This prevents files in your home directory becoming owned by Root.
...and I guess that's what is causing the messages.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Artur005 wrote:output is 2 lines of "Access denied"
Besides that, what Mute Ant wrote - in other words: you create problems on your own - the content of the 2 lines would be needed; or do both lines really say nothing else?
Artur005
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Artur005 »

Hello!

Thanks for answers!
Now I will use gksudo, but I use sudo for 2 years and never have that kind of problem. I use "sudo caja" only for editing system files like rc.local to add services what should be restarted after computer is started.

Today, problem was gone by it self, but then I update Mint, and here it go again...
Output:

adminuser@pg-jupenieks2 ~ $ gksudo caja
Access denied
Access denied
Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Indeed, only those rather meaningless lines.

I use Cinnamon, so I cannot give Mate specific advices. But some general help:

Create a fresh new user account and check the behavior there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”