Dualboot with win10 on Asus ROG

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Dualboot with win10 on Asus ROG

Post by junii »

Hello,

I recently installed Linux mint 18.1 next to Windows 10 on an Asus rog fx502 and I have two Problems I can't seem to figure out.

first one: Windows doesn't seem to recognize the new partition and shows me one disk, but i was expecting to see two. it shows only the C: partition. when i enter the disk manager through win+R i can see all the Little partitions that windows made by default, a 50GB C. drive and the two new partitions with 83 and 88gb (linux did that during installation - not sure why but i didn't see why not). those are all not named and i can't Name them either. they all say "healthy - Primary partition".

same Thing with the startup Screen: i got it to work but it only shows me one option - win 10. not much sense in having it right now^^ i can run linux when i press shift and restart and choose start from harddrive. but by default it starts into Windows. i'd like to be able to choose when i first start the computer.
i also read about uefi and i can see the partition Windows made for uefi (260mb) but i can't enter some Kind of uefi Screen - i was expecting something like this: https://rog.asus.com/technology/republi ... -features/ but all i get is the familiar bios Screen. i was hoping i could change boot options there.

i didn't use grub (and don't know how to use it yet) or virtual machine, just made a bootable stick with my old linux pc.

second one: linux says it is running without hardware acceleration. does it mean it doesn't recognize the graphics?

if you Need any more specs, let me know.

thanks in advance (:
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Dualboot with win10 on Asus ROG

Post by michael louwe »

@ junil

Try applying steps 17 and 18 at this link .......
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

hey Michael, thank you! I have a startup screen now and i can choose between linux and windows. linux still starts in software rendering mode, but windows doesn't boot and asks for a system disk. any ideas on that?
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

What tells

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
inxi -p
sudo dmidecode -t0 | grep -Ei "BIOS boot|UEFI"
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ junil

Seems, maybe you have installed LM 18.1 in Legacy/BIOS mode while Win 10 was installed in UEFI/GPT mode. If so, you may need to reinstall LM 18.1 in UEFI mode.

Please counter-check your LM install steps by referring to these links, .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install

Eg ensure that Secure Boot, Fast Boot and CSM are disabled in the UEFI/BIOS settings(accessed through the F2/F10/F12/etc keys), Fast Startup is disabled in Win 10, the Live LM 18.1 USB or DVD is booted in UEFI mode and "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= ESP = fat32/104MB).

Please refer to this link for doing a boot/grub repair, in order to try to recover Win 10, ...
viewtopic.php?t=207529

If all else fails, reinstall Win 10 and LM 18.1, both in UEFI/GPT mode or both in Legacy/BIOS/MBR mode(= CSM enabled).
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

administrollaatori: it says
fab@Yoda ~ $ sudo parted -l
[sudo] Passwort für fab:
Modell: ATA HFS256G39TND-N21 (scsi)
Festplatte /dev/sda: 256GB
Sektorgröße (logisch/physisch): 512B/4096B
Partitionstabelle: gpt
Disk-Flags:

Nummer Anfang Ende Größe Dateisystem Name Flags
1 1049kB 274MB 273MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
2 274MB 290MB 16,8MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
3 290MB 54,0GB 53,7GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
5 54,0GB 54,0GB 1049kB bios_grub
6 54,0GB 149GB 94,6GB ext4
8 149GB 238GB 89,8GB ext4
7 238GB 256GB 17,1GB linux-swap(v1)
4 256GB 256GB 523MB ntfs Basic data partition versteckt, diag

fab@Yoda ~ $ inxi -p
Partition: ID-1: / size: 83G used: 5.8G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.11GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
fab@Yoda ~ $ sudo dmidecode -t0 | grep -Ei "BIOS boot|UEFI"
BIOS boot specification is supported
UEFI is supported

michael: ok that sounds plausible because uefi is totally new to me. though i still don't understand how there can be bios and uefi mode at the same time. if i go to uefi mode via restart + shift i end up on a bios surface, so i thought it must be that.
before the install i disabled fast boot and secure boot.

how can i make sure the usb starts in uefi mode?

thanks so much!
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

ps: i don't know why, but it came with a ridiculous number of partitions! I made only 6 and 8 though i did wonder why the disk manager would show me two seperate linux partitions instead of one linux and one windows. maybe that was my mistake.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

It does appear that Mint is installed in Legacy/CSM (non-UEFI)
junii wrote:i still don't understand how there can be bios and uefi mode at the same time.
Windows was installed in UEFI mode, and boots in UEFI mode because that is what is set in the computer's boot settings. When you boot a USB drive, you have to chose the right setting for that.
junii wrote:how can i make sure the usb starts in uefi mode?
That is a good question, and the answer might be different for different computers. Generally, it should be possible by accessing the computer's boot menu, and making the choice there.

Your current installation can be converted to UEFI using a Boot Repair CD.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI# ... egacy_mode
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

hey hey,

i made a pen drive with the boot repair disk iso and applied everything they said in your link. but i get a note that the current session is run in legacy mode (which is obvious, that's what i want to change) and that i should start the session in uefi mode to apply the changes.

what i've done then is i disabled legacy start for usb drives - with no visible result
i disabled legacy mode altogether, which then prevents me from booting linux in the first place so i switched back.

do i need to start linux on a live stick and boot repair on a live stick? that would be confusing. I'm not sure what to do next.
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

oh i just saw that the live linux usb might indeed be the solution. i'll try that.
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

last message for today

started linux live usb and boot repair, so far ok unyil i have to re install grub using the following command

sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda8" apt-get install -y --force-yes grub-efi-amd64-signed shim-signed linux-signed-generic
the terminal gives me the following feedback

sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda8" apt-get install -y --force-yes grub-efi-amd64-signed shim-signed linux-signed-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linux-signed-generic : Depends: linux-headers-generic (= 4.4.0.78.84) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

does it mean now the live usb is broken?
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

hey hey so i tried to run a boot repair on the same live stick and now it's even worse. i can boot into Windows but i can also boot in ubuntu which i didn't want at all. linux mint is still there but it looks miserable.

is there any way to repair this without ruining the whole system? and why does linux mint look shit now when i boot from the live stick? it looked decent before.

*desperate*

boot repair gave me a report but ist way too long gto post here.

can i delete the whole partition and make a fresh install of linux? i don't dare right now.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ junii

Suggest you reinstall LM 18.1 over the existing faulty Legacy/BIOS-installed LM 18.1.

1. Ensure that the Live LM 18.1 USB is booted in UEFI mode via the UEFI BIOS settings.
2. Select "Something else" for the install method and proceed to do a manual partition.
3. Highlight or click on only the LM 18.1 partitions, ie /sda5, /sda6, /sda7 and /sda8 and delete all of them = a new free space will be created as /sda5. Click on this free space = /sda5. ... create (click "+" or Add)

3. / partition = ext4/50GB.
4. home partition = ext4/80GB
5. swap partition = same size as your RAM.

6. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(ESP = fat32/273MB = /sda1)

On how to do manual partitioning, please refer to ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

michael louwe wrote:@ junii

6. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(ESP = fat32/273MB = /sda1)
okay! everything set up so far.

but to make sure:
1. instead of sda5 im just shown "free space" so i clicked that. safe?
2. for the partitions i chose two times ext4 and one time swap. and the mounting points i chose /boot and /home for the first ones. right?
3. for the boot loader device i have two possibilities that correspond to what you said. the first is "dev/sda ATA ..... 265 GB" or
"dev/sda1 Windows boot manager"
im guessing the first one would be right but it doesn't say sda1. click it?

thank you so much for your help michael!!
junii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junii »

this is a screenshot from gparted a minute ago, thats what it looks like now before the new install.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ junii

1. Yes, after /sda5 to /sda8 have been deleted, click on the free space to manually partition it. Remember not to click on the Windows ntfs partitions for every step.
2. /boot is wrong. Mount point should be / or root or system for the partition. /home is correct. IOW, no need to make a separate /boot partition bc of 3.
3. Go with /sda1 Windows Boot Manager for the "Device for boot loader installation". If the install cannot be booted, then try reinstalling again with /sda as boot-loader device.

P S - Will be offline for some time.

Return to “Newbie Questions”