Is there any way to show files on deskop screen in Linux Mint 18.1 KDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kingkaka
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to show files on deskop screen in Linux Mint 18.1 KDE

Post by kingkaka »

I created some file on desktop (they are visual when browsing directory).
Is there any way to visual them on Desktop screen
Thank for your help!

lmuserx4849

Re: Is there any way to show files on deskop screen in Linux Mint 18.1 KDE

Post by lmuserx4849 »

kingkaka wrote:I created some file on desktop (they are visual when browsing directory). Is there any way to visual them on Desktop screen
If I understand the question :-), the answer is yes.

Option 1: If you double click the file, the application associated with that file type will run with that file as input. File associations can be found either in Settings -> File Associations (KDE 4) or Settings -> Applications -> File Associations (KDE 5). NOTE: In KDE System Settings there is a Search textbox in the upper right-hand corner. You can type a word and the modules that have anything to do with the word will remain enabled.

Option 2: You could right-click the file on the desktop and select "Open With". If you do not see the application you would like, click Other. Browse through the list to find the application you want. There is an option to remember this application permanently ("Remember aplication association for type type of file").

I'm assuming you might have created the file by right-clicking the desktop and selecting Create New and then maybe selecting Text File. And now you want to open that text file in some editor, perhaps Kate. If none of the above helps :-), could you provide some more details like what commands or applications you used. When you say browsing directory, do you mean from Dolphin or from Konsole and doing a ls command.

This is the KDE 5 doc - Desktop Folder View (LM 18.x). It should be pretty close to KDE 4 doc (LM17.x).

kingkaka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingkaka »

[img]http://i.imgur.com/gTBlkPu.png/img]
You don't understand my question :shock:
As you see, they aren't appear on Desktop so I want them to appear. That is my question :roll:

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

kingkaka wrote:[img]http://i.imgur.com/gTBlkPu.png/img]
As you see, they aren't appear on Desktop so I want them to appear. That is my question :roll:
How did you set your desktop: Is it a true desktop or is it sowing the folder Desktop in your home area?
Right click an empty space on your desktop. A pop up menu appears. The last line says: Configure Desktop
Click it and you enter the editing window.
Now op top it says either: Layout: Desktop or Layout: Folder view.
When it is Folder view you probably have set it to show your Desktop folder and all items should be there as well as in that folder.
But when set to Desktop it is something completely different. It is a place where you can place links to start programs, place widgets to get info about your computer for example, things like that. It is NOT connected to your Desktop folder.
To change from one to the other, you need to unlock widgets first, so right-click your desktop and choose Unlock widgets.
When you're done it's a good idea to lock the widgets again to avoid messing them up.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Option 1: This adds a folder view to your desktop. (see below)
  • Right-click your desktop and select Unlock Widgets.
  • Right-click your desktop again and select Add Widgets
  • Search for Folder View or just scroll. Double click it. Now there will be a folder view on your desktop.
Option 2: This makes your entire desktop a folder. (see below)
  • Right-click your desktop again and select Configure Desktop.
  • Change the Layout to Folder.
Plasma FAQ
What is Folder View

The default desktop in Plasma 5.10. Folder View is a desktop showing items from a chosen folder. Click on an item to open it. Hover over a folder and click the arrow pointing up to show the folder on the desktop. Folder View can also show a folder, but only the files matching a certain regex expression.

What is the Folder View widget?

Folder View is also a widget with identical behavior to the Folder View desktop, except it has a visible background and borders like other widgets.
You might be interested in this additional information: Moving desktop widgets without the handle. In KDE 4, you can hover over a widget and the handle will expand so you can customize the widget. In KDE 5, you have to press and hold the mouse key down anywhere inside the widget in order for the handle to expand. You'll need to know this info if you want to customize the widget (i.e., specify the location on disk, resize, etc).

kingkaka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingkaka »

lmuserx4849 wrote:Option 1: This adds a folder view to your desktop. (see below)
  • Right-click your desktop again and select Add Widgets
  • Search for Folder View or just scroll. Double click it. Now there will be a folder view on your desktop.
Option 2: This makes your entire desktop a folder. (see below)
  • Right-click your desktop again and select Configure Desktop.
  • Change the Layout to Folder.
Plasma FAQ
What is Folder View

The default desktop in Plasma 5.10. Folder View is a desktop showing items from a chosen folder. Click on an item to open it. Hover over a folder and click the arrow pointing up to show the folder on the desktop. Folder View can also show a folder, but only the files matching a certain regex expression.

What is the Folder View widget?

Folder View is also a widget with identical behavior to the Folder View desktop, except it has a visible background and borders like other widgets.
You might be interested in this additional information: Moving desktop widgets without the handle. In KDE 4, you can hover over a widget and the handle will expand so you can customize the widget. In KDE 5, you have to press and hold the mouse key down anywhere inside the widget in order for the handle to expand. You'll need to know this info if you want to customize the widget (i.e., specify the location on disk, resize, etc).
very clearly and so much useful information.
Thank you so much! :D

kingkaka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingkaka »

DeMus wrote:
kingkaka wrote:[img]http://i.imgur.com/gTBlkPu.png/img]
How did you set your desktop: Is it a true desktop or is it sowing the folder Desktop in your home area?
Right click an empty space on your desktop. A pop up menu appears. The last line says: Configure Desktop
Click it and you enter the editing window.
Now op top it says either: Layout: Desktop or Layout: Folder view.
When it is Folder view you probably have set it to show your Desktop folder and all items should be there as well as in that folder.
But when set to Desktop it is something completely different. It is a place where you can place links to start programs, place widgets to get info about your computer for example, things like that. It is NOT connected to your Desktop folder.
To change from one to the other, you need to unlock widgets first, so right-click your desktop and choose Unlock widgets.
When you're done it's a good idea to lock the widgets again to avoid messing them up.

Thank you so much! :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”