[SOLVED]Dual Boot Mint/Windows 7 no GRUB

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
blueox
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Dual Boot Mint/Windows 7 no GRUB

Post by blueox »

Hi to all. Today I've decided to install Linux Mint 18.1 as my main OS after many many years of using Windows,
so by the time will keep it as my main OS.
So I have a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installation on a Kingston SSD HyperX 128Gb and wanted to install Linux Mint 18.1 so I can switch to any OS
during boot.
So I have boot Linux Mint from live CD, then installed it on the SSD selecting the 1st option of the installation window "Install alongside Windows".
Windows 7 system reserved 95Gb of the disk and Linux Mint 15Gb.
After installation had finished, the PC rebooted and Windows would boot without GRUB appearing at the 1st place so to be able to select OS.
PC configuration is:
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-Pro turbo (non-UEFI bios, just old one)
CPU: Intel QX9770 @ 3.2GHz stock
Memory: 8Gb DDR2 Corsair @ 1066MHz
GPU: ASUS GTX-750Ti

Being quite new on linux setup, any help would be appreciated. My Win7 installation is important and don't want to loose my old system (thinking of backing it up on
a removable drive as an image file just in case..)

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by blueox on Sun May 28, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System specs: ASUS B250-Pro Prime, Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz, HyperX Fury 8Gb @ 2133MHz DDR4,
ASUS GTX-750Ti OC (2Gb GDDR5, 640 cores, 128bit).
"Linux Mint is only the beginning"
Windows free desktop, since May/27, 2017

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Dual Boot Mint/Windows 7 no GRUB

Post by austin.texas »

Mint (or any linux OS) will see the different drives as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc.
You can see the drive designations by opening a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) in the live Mint DVD, and entering the command:

Code: Select all

sudo lsblk -o model,name,size,fstype,label,mountpoint
If your SSD shows as /dev/sdb, then you have to install the bootloader to /dev/sdb
The default location is /dev/sda
bootloader-sdb.png
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

Save yourself some time reinstalling Mint:
- download the 20mb Super Grub2 Disk iso file and burn to USB http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/d ... kdownload/
- boot Super Grub2 Disk
- pick your Mint install
If it boots ok you can now re-install grub:
- use austin.texas' code to identify the drive and

sudo grub-install /dev/sdx
where 'x' is your real drive letter
(thinking of backing it up on
a removable drive as an image file just in case..)
Make sure you do it for real...

blueox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueox »

Before continuing with any mods, I forgot to post a Gparted screenshot of the current SSD partitions status:

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

blueox wrote:Before continuing with any mods, I forgot to post a Gparted screenshot of the current SSD partitions status:
You have far too small / partition and far too large swap-partition.

I would removed unnecessary files from Windows and resizing all partitions, because lack of space will cause problems in future.
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Sun May 28, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueox »

That's the result of the automated procedure.
I have already backed backup with Norton Ghost the Win7 partition-s so to not loose anything during the mod though.
System specs: ASUS B250-Pro Prime, Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz, HyperX Fury 8Gb @ 2133MHz DDR4,

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

blueox wrote:That's the result of the automated procedure.
A good reason for not to use the automated procedure. :wink:

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

Hmm.

Ok, sde2 is your Win partition, should be backed up.
sde5 is your mint partition but you should try to make this a little bigger, you're already running out of space. But first lets sort out your booting prob.

Grub should be installed to 'sde', that means that it will sit in the tiny little band on the far left.

So if you follow my instructions and boot via SuperGrubDisk to get Mint's sde5 partition to boot you can then, out of mint, run:

sudo grub-install /dev/sde
to reinstall grub.

Remove SuperGrubDisk and reboot and grub should come up, offering Mint and Win options.
Last edited by prestonR on Sun May 28, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueox »

I will resize partitions to my needs when Grub is fixed, because I need to free space on the Win7 partition.
O.K. will follow your instructions after some hours.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ blueox

So, the "Device for boot loader installation" should be /sde1 or /sde.

Looks like you don't have much free space in your Windows 128GB SSD to accommodate a full install of LM 18.1.

To run LM 18.1 for some time, you need a minimum of about 20GB just for the root/system or / partition, to install a few important programs and regular important updates.
....... If you have 4GB or above of RAM, you do not need a swap partition for supplementary virtual-memory-on-disk unless you need to use Hibernate(= suspend-to-disk = same size as RAM size) mode.

To experiment with Linux Mint, besides dual-booting, you can also run a Live LM USB with persistent storage which can save Live session changes or install LM 18.1 on an external USB hard-drive(= put a cheap used hard-drive inside a new USB casing/enclosure).
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/c ... ash-drive/

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Another option is to just install grub from live Mint USB/DVD.

Boot Mint USB/DVD, open a terminal and enter command from austin.texas to confirm the target drive is still seen as /dev/sde. Assuming it is, then run the following commands in the terminal to install grub:

sudo mount /dev/sde5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sde
sudo umount /dev/sde5
Close terminal when done and reboot computer (without USB connected). If it boots straight into Mint without offering choice for Windows, just open a terminal (from your installed Mint, not the USB) and enter this command to add Windows to the boot menu:

sudo update-grub

P.s. When you get that fixed you can boot again with Mint USB and use GParted to change sizes of the Linux partitions. (You'll need to do this from the Mint USB, not while booted into the installed Mint.) You'll need to right-click on the Swap partition and choose "Swapoff" first. Then re-size Swap to 1-2GB. (Keep Swap at very end of drive -- so shrink it from left to right.) Then re-size/expand sde5 to take up free space left by shrinking Swap. Hit "Apply" button to finalize the operations when done.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

blueox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueox »

I have followed gold_finger's solution, that seemed easier.
When typed the 2nd command (sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sde),
it gives and error: grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of '/cow'
but next line says the command executed without errors.

After rebooting, grub is working o.k. giving 2 Windows 7 load options at the end of it:
- Windows 7 loader (dev/sda1) which would bring a load failure Win7 screen asking the user to load the Windows disk to repair the system
- Windows 7 loader (dev/sde1) which does the job and loads Windows 7 normally without issues.

Big thanks to all of you austin.texas, gold_finger, prestonR, administrollaattori, michael louwe !!

Next thing I want to do is to delete the wrong dev/sda1 line of Windows 7 loader and resize the linux mint partition to 25Gb.

Btw, the linux mint installation on my rig is super fast!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED]Dual Boot Mint/Windows 7 no GRUB

Post by austin.texas »

You can delete the line in Grub which doesn't work, be editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Before editing that file, make a backup copy of it - just to have it. Save it anywhere in your documents.

Open the file in your editor:

gksudo xed /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Go down to near the end of the file where you see the menuentry for Windows 7 on /dev/sda1
You can delete the entire menuentry, or place # marks in front of every line of the menuentry to deactivate those lines.

That menuentry will magically re-appear anytime you install a new kernel or update-grub, so be prepared to do it again in those cases.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

blueox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueox »

Thank you very much for the valuable info!
I just love the new desktop and the overall system
performance.
I have also noticed that in Linux the hard disks appear by the number of the motherboard sata ports they are connected to so they will influence grub in case of port changes.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

blueox wrote:I have also noticed that in Linux the hard disks appear by the number of the motherboard sata ports they are connected to so they will influence grub in case of port changes.
Quite true. Good observation.

And...

Welcome to Mint and to the forum blueox!

(Original artwork by hexdef101)

Linux Linx 2018

blueox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueox »

Thanks and nice meeting all of you!

Return to “Newbie Questions”