Windows after linux mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
danishzaryab007
Level 1
Level 1

Windows after linux mint

Post by danishzaryab007 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:18 pm

I installed Linux mint about a month ago, and I still use it still.

But I am a developer and i needed windows 7 for many things that weren't supported on Linux.

So i got a new windows 7 (I don't need Windows 10) and installed it.

However, i didn't knew that it would cause a problem.
Windows installation ran quite smoothly, but now im locked out of Linux.
I cant boot into Linux, neither can i see the Drive (partition) that has Linux.
Is there any way to at least get my data back.
Thanks... :D

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Windows after linux mint

Post by MintBean » Sun May 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Boot from a Mint install DVD/USB to get to a live session. If your Mint partition has not been overwritten, you will be able to access it from there. Windows can't read EXT4, the Linux filesystem.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Windows after linux mint

Post by gold_finger » Sun May 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Like MintBean said, boot with live Mint USB/DVD to find out if Windows overwrote entire drive or just can't see the still existing Mint partitions. You can use either graphical program GParted, or terminal command sudo parted --list to see what partitions now show on the drive. If you see that Mint partitions are still there, determine which is the Root partition and you can use terminal commands to re-install the grub boot loader giving you choice to boot either OS. As an example, if you did a "standard" Mint install, you'll see both a Swap partition and an Ext4 partition for Mint. The Ext4 formatted partition will be your Mint Root partition. In example below I'll use /dev/sda5 as location of Root partition. Substitute correct partition location if yours is not sda5. Use the following commands in a terminal from live Mint USB/DVD to re-install grub:

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
sudo umount /dev/sda5
Close terminal, shutdown computer and reboot without live USB/DVD. Should now have grub menu with options to boot both OSs. If it boots straight to Mint without Windows choices, open a terminal after booted into Mint and run this command to add Windows entries on next boot:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Newbie Questions”