ISO to USB

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
catman30223
Level 1
Level 1

ISO to USB

Post by catman30223 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:17 pm

A friend wants me to put Windows 10 on a USB and make it bootable. Under Windows I would use a program called ISOTOUSB. My first thought was k3b, but that didn't work. I will not reinstall Windows just to use one program. There has to be something available that will let me do the job using Linux Mint 18. Any suggestions?

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: ISO to USB

Post by Pierre » Mon May 29, 2017 9:29 pm

for burning to a disk:
most people would suggest using K3b,
but if that didn't work, then try Xfburn, from the XFCE DE

- like the K3b, you will have to install some dependencies as well,
but not as may as when installing K3b into your system,

of course, if that is your DE, then it does come with that program,
but, say your DE is Cinnamon, then in both cases,
you will need to install some dependencies for each program.

& for USB, there is also an inbuilt program as well - - Accessories - USB Image Writer,
- to write to that USB stick

the program Rufus is yet another USB writer,
and there is also UNetbootin as well.
- you will have to install both of those programs to your LM-18 system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

rigorio4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rigorio4 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:17 pm

Maybe you can try this:

Install GPARTED. just type gparted on terminal and your linux will tell you how to install it. Otherwise, this may work:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gparted

Next, find your flash drive in GPARTED and reformat it to NTFS.
  1. After formatting, if necessary, right click on your newly formatted drive and click "Manage Flags." Select "boot."
  2. Or I think , and this is where i'm more sure is right, right click on your drive and click "Restore System." You will then be prompted to choose the "system." That will be where you will select the Windows Iso file. After that, I think it'll be okay.
For option 1, here's what i remember are the following steps that i have tried one time before:
  1. Open terminal and navigate to where your ISO file is.
  2. Create a directory

mkdir dirname
  3. mount thy iso image onto directory

mount -o loop <name of iso file> dirname
  4. Open a folder navigator and go to the created directory. See if the iso contents are there. if yes, copy them and paste to the flash drive. If no, apologies i have no idea why it wouldn't work for you. But if so, then please try to post here the details of the error if there is such an error log shown.
  5. To be safe, after copying, unmount the iso contents from the directory. My friend told me to do it but I don't really know why i cant just delete it. Haven't really read yet what mount entirely does. The code for unmounting is umount . if that does not work try unmount . I'm sure it's one of the two.
Now regarding the mounting thing, I think it MAY work if you mount it directly into the flash drive. I have not tried that yet. Sorry for the sloppy guide. Cheerios!

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Tue May 30, 2017 6:53 am

This program... http://www.isotousb.com/ ...operates on a Windows installer ISO in the same way that unetbootin operates on a Mint installer ISO. It's going to unpack the distribution and add boot-ability. It can't handle Windows XP. It's not been tested on Windows 10 (weasel-speak...it has been tested and it doesn't work). So there's a good chance your preferred method would fail anyway. Linux tools are just as inflexible...offer a distro that's unexpectedly different and they are stuck.

If your goal is to have a legitimate Windows 10 installer booting from USB, you need one of these...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... ndows10ISO
...which is designed to boot from a USB store (it says, I never tried). Then just write it to USB without unpacking it. Either it's bootable, or it isn't. Mint can't change that.

If your goal is to have a legitimate Windows 10 booting from USB, that's different, and much more difficult. Microsoft don't like portable installations.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Tue May 30, 2017 10:27 am

Make a bootable Windows USB from Linux.

Above will make bootable install USB -- not a "live" Windows USB that can be used like a live Mint USB. As far as I know you can't make "live" Windows USBs.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:53 am

I had absolutely no issues using Mints inbuilt "USB image writer" to create Windows 10 installation media. Just make sure you skip Microsoft's infuriating 'media creation tool' option and just download the 'vanilla' ISO from their site ( they don't make it easy but can be done ).

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Wed May 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Mattyboy wrote:I had absolutely no issues using Mints inbuilt "USB image writer" to create Windows 10 installation media. Just make sure you skip Microsoft's infuriating 'media creation tool' option and just download the 'vanilla' ISO from their site ( they don't make it easy but can be done ).

This is how I always do it.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Wed May 31, 2017 1:16 pm

catman30223 wrote:A friend wants me to put Windows 10 on a USB and make it bootable. Under Windows I would use a program called ISOTOUSB. My first thought was k3b, but that didn't work. I will not reinstall Windows just to use one program. There has to be something available that will let me do the job using Linux Mint 18. Any suggestions?
Pop a Valid Windows Installation Disc in the drive and let 'er spin up.
Open a terminal and issue: (Assuming sr0 here)

isoinfo -d -i /dev/sr0 | grep -i -E 'block size|volume size
and note the two values
<bs> # block size and
<count> #
in the same terminal, issue

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=Windows10.iso bs=<bs> count=<count>
There, now you have a one-for-one copy of the Original.
Titled Windows10.iso you can burn with c-line or gui'fied tool.

How to burn an .iso you may already have?

dd if=title.iso of=/dev/sr0
Verify:

md5sum /dev/sr0 title.iso
329a8ef9eeb6de20f10bd109dbeecd81  /dev/sr0
329a8ef9eeb6de20f10bd109dbeecd81  title.iso
or you can use your favourite clicky-clicky tool.
Whether it boots, IDK either, but I agree with gold_finger, I believe Windows hates USB boot.

See also http://bfy.tw/C6Y0

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kukamuumuka » Wed May 31, 2017 1:36 pm

One more way. :lol:

Bootable USB can make using Grub4Dos also.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4d ... p_redirect

Extract grub4dos-0.4.4.zip and go inside the folder, where open Terminal and run

sudo blkid  ## tells the drives
For example if you want to install Grub4Dos to an USB /dev/sdc run

sudo ./bootlace.com /dev/sdc
You need also to copy grldr and menu.lst to the USB. If wanting to make a Windows-installation-usb, copy the contents from Windows.iso to the USB and edit the menu.lst file like

default 0
timeout 30
root=(hd0,0)
color NORMAL HIGHLIGHT HELPTEXT HEADING
foreground=FFFFFF
background=0066FF

title Install Windows 7 (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/bootmgr

title Install Windows 7 (hd0,1)
root (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)/bootmgr

title Install Windows 7 (hd0,2)
root (hd0,2)
chainloader (hd0,2)/bootmgr
The Windows-installation-usb must be formatted using ntfs-filesystem.

Return to “Newbie Questions”