SOLVED - 6/21/2017 - Yet Another Update - (SOLVED - UPDATE SOLVED) - System Requirements - which Linux Mint.?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
PlutoPup
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED - 6/21/2017 - Yet Another Update - (SOLVED - UPDATE SOLVED) - System Requirements - which Linux Mint.?

Post by PlutoPup »

I'm not exactly a newbie but I have a newbie type question. I'm running Linux Mint Serena 18.1 64Bit, Cinnamon and Mate on a Dual Boot Athlon II X3 425 w/4Gigs ram. Each OS has its own Hard Drive. They run Great. I like them both. Cinnamon is Definitely the Mint Flagship, being it's so customize-able. Mate is not as customize-able but faster and more stable. I of course refer to this system of mine only.

I like to tinker around with hardware, play with software and consider myself a computer enthusiast. My Mantra is a computer is not outdated as long as it does what you want. I retired a P4 2.6GHz w/2Gigs Ram, 2 160G HDD's on an AOpen motherboard because Windows XP was done and a single core was not capable of playing HD movies. I realize there's more to a computer than play movies and with Linux Mint coming complete with Libra Office, an older system can still be useful.

Here is my question:

I want to revive my old P4 2.6GHz w/2Gigs Ram, 32Bit on an AOpen motherboard. I have spent some money & I am waiting on parts and a case from NewEgg for this project so there is no turning back even if you think it's a waste. I am doing it for the fun of doing it. I have built to many new systems, My Last an 8 core AMD. So an old system I had not done. With that in mind, What Linux Mint 32Bit is recommended for this system.? I have downloaded and burned to disk Mint Mate 17.3 and Mint Mate18.1. Do I need to go older.? :D
Last edited by PlutoPup on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: System Requirements - which Linux Mint.?

Post by WharfRat »

You can't/shouldn't go older given that they are no longer supported.

As far as requirements go http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3182 has the answer.

They are surprisingly low.
ImageImage

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

There's also the wonderful Xfce edition to consider.
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have done several installs of 17.3 and 18.0 and 18.1 cinnamon with single cores in both 64 bit and 32 bit machines. Some things like Skype and video downloads are a bit taxing but usable and the Office suites are great with either.

PlutoPup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PlutoPup »

I haven't played with the Xfce desktop. Wonder what it's like.?

PlutoPup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PlutoPup »

Tomgin5 wrote:I have done several installs of 17.3 and 18.0 and 18.1 cinnamon with single cores in both 64 bit and 32 bit machines. Some things like Skype and video downloads are a bit taxing but usable and the Office suites are great with either.

That's good info and encouraging. With a P4 2.6Ghz w/2G ram, I am Pretty sure its only a 32bit system, From your experience which do you think will work best.?

PlutoPup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PlutoPup »

MintyO wrote:There's also the wonderful Xfce edition to consider.

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

PlutoPup wrote:
MintyO wrote:There's also the wonderful Xfce edition to consider.
Like I wrote, wonderful. :wink:

Seriously though, it's easiest for you to make a stick or a disc and take a look yourself. I like Cinnamon very much, but still something keeps luring me back to using Xfce more (I have both as separate installs).
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

PlutoPup wrote:I haven't played with the Xfce desktop. Wonder what it's like.?
Runs great on lower spec'd systems.
Close to a "Windows experience" as any in Linux, IMO.

It is very stable and durable and consistent.
My Daily driver for 5 years until recently. :wink:

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay »

With respect considering it's a Mint forum, may I humbly suggest you also have a play with MX 16 which is based on AntiX but uses Debian software.
There are two 32bit versions here,

https://mxlinux.org/download-links

PlutoPup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PlutoPup »

To those who have suggested Xfce, What build or version are you suggesting I try, Xfce18.1, Xfce17.3 or an older Xfce......?

PlutoPup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PlutoPup »

turtlebay wrote:With respect considering it's a Mint forum, may I humbly suggest you also have a play with MX 16 which is based on AntiX but uses Debian software.
There are two 32bit versions here,

https://mxlinux.org/download-links

Never heard of it.. If Mint doesn't work, I'll look into it but for now I would like to stick with Mint..

PlutoPup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PlutoPup »

Habitual wrote:

My Daily driver for 5 years until recently. :wink:
Great to hear. I'm sold on trying Xfce. All I need to know is what version to try; 18.1, 17.3 or older.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider »

PlutoPup wrote:
Habitual wrote:

My Daily driver for 5 years until recently. :wink:[/quote

Great to hear. I'm sold on trying Xfce. All I need to know is what version to try; 18.1, 17.3 or older.
What is your gpu?

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

Personally I have found very little advantage in 32 bit or 64 bit installations in older single core desktops from the early XP machines. Personally I prefer the GUI in the Cinnamon and the easy ability to customize things. I tried a couple of different pre 2000 machines and I really did not care to spend 3/4 ths of my time fighting to make things work in terminal mode. I am not a coder and gave up on it before windows came around and switched to 100% machine code and compiling for industrial robots. around 2001 I decided to forgo even that and turned it over to C++ programmers. They could do that while I was busy designing the wiring to make things work from the computer I/O to the accessories. This last year I have resurrected over 80 bricked systems that had TOO Many windows in them for new convert users. All have been LM 17.3 - LM 18.1 Cinnamon.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay »

PlutoPup wrote:To those who have suggested Xfce, What build or version are you suggesting I try, Xfce18.1, Xfce17.3 or an older Xfce......?
Nothing before the 17.xxx series as they are no longer supported, meaning no updates at all and the repos of software have been disconnected.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I rather like XFCE. When I installed Mint 17 on my computer, I thought I'd go with the flagship, Cinnamon. And I do like it. But I have installed XFCE on a couple of older computers, and I'm thinking when I upgrade from17.3 to 18.x, I may just go with XFCE. It uses WAY less resources than Cinnamon, and will run reasonably fast even on the older machines.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I have also used MX on older computers. I installed MX on an older single core laptop for a friend after finding that it didn't like Mint so well, and MX worked fine. It's Debian based, like all the best distros, and the MX devs are pretty good about taking requests for new software that people want. If it weren't for MInt, I might use MX.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

"I want to revive my old P4 2.6GHz w/2Gigs Ram, 32Bit on an AOpen motherboard.".

in my book, that's a fairly med spec machine, as most of my Ex win-xp based PCs,
only ever had just 1Gb ram, so having 2Gb was always a bonus.
& with a faster 2,6 cpu, as well, that would make the machine really fly,

- either MX xfce OR Mint mate / xfce will work well on that thing.
not Cinnamon, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If you want to take pressure off a single core CPU, the easiest way is to toss in a graphics card capable of handling the HD video.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”