Pre OS Switch research.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
quirkynat
Level 1
Level 1

Pre OS Switch research.

Post by quirkynat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 pm

Hello everyone
As many other people, I have grown tired of Windows issues and am considering switching to Linux; after discussing with a trusted friend who has been running Linux for more than 6 years.
I have some concerns about finding the correct programs to replace what I use most right now. I have an online store and a youtube channel for which I am almost daily editing pictures and videos. Thouhg I am not masterful in either area, I currently use photoshop and premier pro from adobe. Are there any good programs to use in linux which are comparable to the above listed adobe programs?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Pre OS Switch research.

Post by richyrich » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:05 am

1) Gimp , you can tweak it to even look like Photoshop.
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
2) Here is a list with most of them available to install via the Software Manager. :-)
http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe ... form=linux

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:36 am

A lot of Linux users start out dual booting, that is, having both Windows and Linux installed on the computer. Each time you boot the computer, you can choose which OS you want to boot to. I started that way. I would spend most of my time in Linux, but if I had something I needed to get done right away, and I didn't know how to do it in Linux, I'd boot into Windows and get the job done there, then go right back to Linux. After a while I found I didn't need Windows at all anymore, and my current computer is Linux only.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:46 am

quirkynat wrote:I have some concerns about finding the correct programs to replace what I use most right now.
Have a look through this for possible Linux alternatives to Windows programs: Linux Replacements for Windows Programs.

NOTE: most of those Linux links are to the home pages for the individual programs so you can see screenshots, instructions on their use, FAQ's, etc.; but the vast majority of the time in Linux you do not install programs by downloading from individual sites (as is normal in Windows). Most programs in that list are available for installation in a central repository for the Linux distribution you are using (Mint, in this case). To install you simply look for them in either the "Software Center", "Synaptic Package Manager", or (if you know the exact name of program) install using a command in a terminal window. If what you need is not available in one of those ways it would be best to ask here on the forum for the best way to install what you're looking for before attempting to download on your own from somewhere.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:04 pm

What kind of Windows issues are you having? The reason that I ask is because if you are having issues running Windows then you might also have the same issues running Linux. How old is your hardware and what condition is it in?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Open Shot is great for video and images.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenShot

This tutorial works better if you cut speed to half in the settings area (if using html5 instead of flash to view)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a_B4LxTy3Y
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”