install 64bit over existing 32bit on a dual boot system

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mikeyk
Level 1
Level 1

install 64bit over existing 32bit on a dual boot system

Post by Mikeyk » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:34 pm

My system currently is a dual boot (Windows 7 and LINUX 18.1) I mistakenly installed the 32bit version of Linux 18.1 Cinnamon, Can I just install the 64bit over the 32bit while running unders windows 7 :?: or just leave it as it is. Being a relatively new user to Linux I need some help and advise on this. Thanks

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: install 64bit over existing 32bit on a dual boot system

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:41 pm

That's a good question. Let us know how it turns out.

Personally, I'd leave it like it is, especially since the W7 seems also to be 32 bit.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Mikeyk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mikeyk » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Windows 7 which I'm running is 64 bit. Just don't know if it worth it to upgrade Linux from 32 to 64bit.

iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:13 pm

If it ain't broke . . . . :)
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Yes - - you can install the 64bit version of Linux 18.1 Cinnamon,
straight over the Top of the 32bit version
- erase & install, if that is what you want.

or, you can just stay with the 32bit, as suggested.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Mikeyk wrote:I mistakenly installed the 32bit version of Linux 18.1 Cinnamon, Can I just install the 64bit over the 32bit while running unders windows 7 or just leave it as it is.
Yes you can re-install 64bit Mint in partitions currently used by 32bit Mint, but I don't know what you mean by "while running unders windows 7". You can't install Mint from Windows 7 -- you have to boot a live Mint USB/DVD and install from that.

Don't know exactly what install options will show, but be careful not to select one that erases the whole disk (that will wipe out Windows too). Best bet is to use the "Something Else" install option and then select partitions to install to manually. If not sure how to proceed with that type of install, boot into your current Mint installation and enter the following commands in a terminal:

Code: Select all

lsblk -af
sudo parted --list
Follow directions shown here to copy/paste full output of those commands back here for us to see. They will show partition info that we need to give you specific instructions for re-installing.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Mikeyk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mikeyk » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:20 pm

gold_finger wrote:
Mikeyk wrote:I mistakenly installed the 32bit version of Linux 18.1 Cinnamon, Can I just install the 64bit over the 32bit while running unders windows 7 or just leave it as it is.
Yes you can re-install 64bit Mint in partitions currently used by 32bit Mint, but I don't know what you mean by "while running unders windows 7". You can't install Mint from Windows 7 -- you have to boot a live Mint USB/DVD and install from that.
Sorry, I did not explain myself correctly.

Return to “Newbie Questions”