Placing desktop items on right screen in Dual Screen setup

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Waka
Level 1
Level 1

Placing desktop items on right screen in Dual Screen setup

Post by Waka »

I have a dual screen setup which works fine, but I cannot put desktop icons on the second monitor. My left screen is configured to be the main screen, but it doesn't really matter, even if I configure the right screen to be the main screen I cannot place any icons there. They always go back to their original location on the left monitor. I can move and place the icons on the left monitor wherever I want, but once I try to move them to the other screen they move back to the left screen.
This video wasn't made by me, but it shows the same behaviour as I am experiencing, so if my explanation wasn't good enough, have a look.

I use Linux mint 18.1 with a Xfce Desktop environment. I also tried Mate (where I can place icons on the right screen) and Cinnamon (same problem). Is there any way to change this behavior?

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Placing desktop items on right screen in Dual Screen setup

Post by Hoser Rob »

I just read your post on stackexchange ... apparently you've installed two, if not three, DEs on the same machine. Not good. It'll bugger up your system eventually and the best fix is to do a clean reinstall with just one DE.

And BTW I avoid those youtube vids on linux generally. The people who post that crap ...and it's usually crap ... don't know anything more about Linux than all those crap 'musicians' on there know about playing music. I've got 95% of my useful Mint support info from ubuntuforums, askubuntu, and the arch wikis.

But to the main topic, no, I don't think Xfce supports this. There's no way to 'fix' this. Xfce is a basic DE forked from a WM developed in 1993. Don't expect all the bells and whistles. I use Xfce and I like it thaty way.

Interestingly, I've used every Mint DE version and other DEs in dual monitor config on my laptop. In every case, if I right click a media file and open it with Mediainfo, the window appears on the extension monitor. In exactly the same place on the screen. And if there's a way to 'fix' that I'm unaware of it.

Many noobs seem to think that they can configure Linux any way they want. They can't.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

you can play around with the xrandr command, maybe come up with some solution.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Waka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Waka »

Hoser Rob wrote:I just read your post on stackexchange ... apparently you've installed two, if not three, DEs on the same machine. Not good. It'll bugger up your system eventually and the best fix is to do a clean reinstall with just one DE.
Yeah, I'm just testing stuff out. I've since uninstalled Mate and Cinnamon. It's not that I have a need for more than one DE anyway. ;)
And BTW I avoid those youtube vids on linux generally.
Yes, it was just to illustrate the problem.
But to the main topic, no, I don't think Xfce supports this. There's no way to 'fix' this. Xfce is a basic DE forked from a WM developed in 1993. Don't expect all the bells and whistles. I use Xfce and I like it thaty way.
Yeah, it's not that it's absolutely vital to place icons on the second screen (in Windows I have like three icons on second screen and I don't make much use of them anyway), it just struck me as a bit odd and wondered if there's just something wrong with my setup or if this is supposed to be this way. But since Cinnamon has the same behavior and Mate doesn't I guess it's just supposed to be this way. Just wanted to be absolutely sure. ;)
Spearmint2 wrote:you can play around with the xrandr command, maybe come up with some solution.
Okay, thanks.

Return to “Newbie Questions”