Search Engines

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flagbear

Search Engines

Post by flagbear »

I am a newbie as a Mint favorer - and I have settled on Mint after years of distro-hopping - so go easy if I am violating some tribal etiquette here.

I do have some search engine preferences for SE's which are not by default provided in LM.

I have followed the instructions from both Mozilla and Mint and in both cases the SE I wish to install does NOT appear in any of the drop down text boxes.

I have tried this with both Google and Dogpile.

Any helpful ideas are appreciated, but please don't simply repeat the canned instructions, I already tried them and they do not work. I would appreciate though if someone replicates my procedure and indicates whether or not they were able to install these SE's.

I am asking about the technical procedure not whether other users approve. The issue of lobbying SE's to support Mint belongs in a separate thread, feel free to open one if so desired but please don't preach to me. I get enough of that from Richard Stallman videos, which I do watch, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Search Engines

Post by MintBean »

Dude, no need to be so defensive! :D

Follow this link. At the bottom of the page under 'commercial engines' are a bunch of icons. Click on one, then click the magnifying glass in the search box at the top right of the FF window. In the popup Window, click 'add Dogpile' or whatever.

https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

flagbear wrote:I am a newbie as a Mint favorer - and I have settled on Mint after years of distro-hopping - so go easy if I am violating some tribal etiquette here.

I do have some search engine preferences for SE's which are not by default provided in LM.

I have followed the instructions from both Mozilla and Mint and in both cases the SE I wish to install does NOT appear in any of the drop down text boxes.

Any helpful ideas are appreciated, but please don't simply repeat the canned instructions, I already tried them and they do not work. I would appreciate though if someone replicates my procedure and indicates whether or not they were able to install these SE's.

I am asking about the technical procedure not whether other users approve. The issue of lobbying SE's to support Mint belongs in a separate thread, feel free to open one if so desired but please don't preach to me. I get enough of that from Richard Stallman videos, which I do watch, thanks.
Followed instructions from where? What site? Got Links? are my "canned instructions". :mrgreen:
"tribal etiquette" made even me laugh. Not funny, but soft enough. Welcome Aboard!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The SE had surely a name. Which?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cosmo. wrote:The SE had surely a name. Which?
Well, the OP says:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

But what had (s)he tried? To find his SE?

(S)he also said, that (s)he tried the instructions by Mozilla without success. But which instructions? There more general remarks in the starting post than useful information.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

flagbear wrote:Any helpful ideas are appreciated, but please don't simply repeat the canned instructions, I already tried them and they do not work. I would appreciate though if someone replicates my procedure and indicates whether or not they were able to install these SE's.
I find it poor form for someone to ask for input and then tell us what qualifies as input.
Without facts, I am inclined to lock this topic.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Come on, we're a friendly forum. Let's offer some fellowship here, and if anyone can also offer some help and/or knowledge, so much the better.
Anyone?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

MintBean wrote:Follow this link. At the bottom of the page under 'commercial engines' are a bunch of icons. Click on one, then click the magnifying glass in the search box at the top right of the FF window. In the popup Window, click 'add Dogpile' or whatever.

https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php
I've walked this through, step by step and managed to add both Google and Dogpile. What more is there to say?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I'm not sure if the OP tried this as he/she didn't say exactly what he tried. Also I hope this isn't a "canned" instruction, but how about simply using the add on "Add to Search Bar"?
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

I liked those links! I even used it to add Ixquick, since I'd been using Startpage, I hadn't thought that Ixquick and Startpage were separate search engines.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Return to “Beginner Questions”