Newbie need help [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
cmpion
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie need help [SOLVED]

Post by cmpion » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:55 pm

I am planning to move from Win 10 OS to linux i would greatly appreciate it if someone can answer some of my questions
#1 If i am going to install linux instead of windows os I have to delete the windows and format PC. Is it possible to format only partition C where win10 is installed or i must wipe the whole hard drive?? This is cause i have around 100Gb memory taken on disk D which is important to me.
#2 If I should format drive completely then is it possible to install linux alongside win10 and then somehow wipe the disk partition with win10?
#3 Maybe i don't fully understand the way virtual machine works, the question for me is if i use virtual machine to install linux is it going to be 100% the way it will run when it is fully linux system, I mean the drivers for hardware etc. can I check the compatibility issues using virtual machine?
Last edited by cmpion on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Newbie need help

Post by FreedomTruth » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:32 pm

1. It is possible to only delete the windows system partition, leaving your second partition alone. Just don't tell the mint installer to use the whole disk.
2. It is also possible to install mint alongside windows. As long as you're positive you don't have anything you need to keep on c: partition, this should not be necessary.
3. A virtual machine will not run the same as your physical machine, it uses its own set of virtual hardware. To check compatibility with your physical hardware, simply boot the mint usb or dvd, and test out the operating system before installing -- see if your networking, video, etc. work correctly. Also you can probably either post your hardware on the forum somewhere or search for it, to see if there are compatibility issues that others have experienced.
If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free... Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin... Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Neil Edmond
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Neil Edmond » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:38 pm

No matter which path you choose...please, please back up your important data to some form of external storage! No matter how easy these options seem...there are opportunities for error and data loss. Better to be safe than sorry!

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:22 pm

Any partition which you format, you will lose all data currently on that partition. It is possible though to only use some partitions in your install, while leaving others untouched (such as your D data partition). Just chose the "other" or "something else" option at the start of the install, and you will be able to choose which partitions are used.

It can also be helpful to run gparted from the install disk and setup your partitions first, before beginning the installation program. You can delete the existing partition which you want to install over, and in that space, create multiple partitions. I recommend having three for Mint:

1. The / partition (called the "root" partition) is where the OS will install. It will be mandatory in the "something else" option to have one partition selected with "/" as the mount point. The initial install won't require more than 10G here, but it's a good idea to have more, and if you have plenty of capacity on your drive, I'd even go with 50G.

2. You might also want a swap partition. This is not as critical as it used to be though, and a small partition, maybe 4G, is plenty.

3. Allocate the most available space to a /home partition. This is where linux will put all of your own files and data, and it will help in the future to have that separate from the OS.

If you want to keep your windows working, and install alongside it, for a dual boot system (where you choose the OS at boot) I believe there are still programs from within windows that will even shrink an existing windows partition (assuming there is plenty of free space on it), leaving that free space at the end where new partitions can be created. Not necessary if you intend to delete Windows though.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:35 pm

You did not mention how big the hard drive is. You also did not mention the type of computer or laptop or the Bios. There are different procedures to each. EUFI is usually the most difficult. EFI can sometimes throw you a curve as well. In any case if you wish to dual boot, make a backup onto either a large flash drive, I use a 125 GB flash drive I picked up for $25 on sale. Otherwise use a USB link to an external HDD. I picked up a 3TB for $15. A week and a half ago I converted 10 WINdex 10 computers to dual boot with no problems. Each of them had 1 TB drives.

cmpion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmpion » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:44 am

if someone can give me more tips about linux installation and etc. this is info about my laptop
Acer Aspire E1-571G UEFI BIOS
Intel core i3-3217U 1.80 GHz Dual core
Ram 4 Gb (Actual is 3.89)
VRam Nvidia Geforce 820m 1Gb
465 Gb HDD
Thank you guys for info and suggestions. But should i back up win10 os if i don't care about it?? I mean I recently had win crash, so one of the best solutions(as i thought) suggested by the system was to reinstall windows with saving personal data, after that most of the apps are not working.
My current C is 70 Gb. Can i make 65Gb root, 5 gb swap is D going to become home partition without formatting it?

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi "cmpion",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I would backup the whole drive using a drive imaging backup software like "Clonezilla Live" to an external drive before installing anything, or before messing around with drive partitions.

You can install Linux Mint along side of the existing MS Windows installation, or replace the existing MS Windows Partition during the installation.

As for Virtualbox or VMware and installing Linux under MS Windows, or Installing MS Windows under Linux, there will not be a 100% assurance that everything would work or act exactly the same as a fully installed system because those applications create and use virtual devices and drivers for hardware...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:06 pm

cmpion wrote:My current C is 70 Gb. Can i make 65Gb root, 5 gb swap is D going to become home partition without formatting it?
With only 70 GB I wouldn't use more than 20 GB for root. I'd go 20 GB root, 5 GB swap, 45 GB home, and leave D alone. You will be able to access all the stuff on D from linux after the install. But don't let the installer touch it.

Also, on a laptop, once linux is installed, it's a good idea to run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install powerstat powertop tlp preload prelink 
That will help configure things so that your power management is more efficient for laptop use. the last three of those just need to be installed. Powerstat is a tool that you can use to check power use. And powertop will tweak things for you if you run:

sudo powertop --auto-tune

cmpion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmpion » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:32 pm

acerimusdux wrote:
cmpion wrote:My current C is 70 Gb. Can i make 65Gb root, 5 gb swap is D going to become home partition without formatting it?
With only 70 GB I wouldn't use more than 20 GB for root. I'd go 20 GB root, 5 GB swap, 45 GB home, and leave D alone. You will be able to access all the stuff on D from linux after the install. But don't let the installer touch it.
Thank you very much.
Can't I after the installation make D to be used instead of home partition? by some settings etc. and set linux to install all the apps on it?
And also maybe by chance you know, the drivers for video cards) can intel hd graphics and nvidia be used together just as in the ms windows?

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:24 pm

cmpion wrote:
acerimusdux wrote:
Thank you very much.
Can't I after the installation make D to be used instead of home partition? by some settings etc. and set linux to install all the apps on it?
And also maybe by chance you know, the drivers for video cards) can intel hd graphics and nvidia be used together just as in the ms windows?
It doesn't put apps on the home partition. They'll all go on /. Actually, they mostly go in /usr, but you don't need a separate partition for that, just leave that on the / partition.

And I don't see the point of wanting to install to D. You have data on there you want to protect. And it's a windows filesystem. So why have the automated installer writing data to a windows filesystem with existing important data on it? Set up fresh ext4 filesystems for the places the installer needs to write to, and you can always move data around later if needed.

What is on D exactly that you need, and why would you want it all in mixed in with your home directory? If you have folders there with things like photos, videos, documents, etc., you can always make links from your home directory to those folders once your system is installed.

edit: OK I think I read that wrong. I read "after the install" as "alter the install" which changes the meaning a bit. But yes, after the install, you could always move /home to another drive. And, linux will read/write OK on the windows filesystem, I'm just inclined to prefer to use ext4 when possible.

So I do think you will want a fresh ext4 filesystem there though with some space on it for new stuff, documents, files, etc, that you create or download once you are using linux.

As for video cards, see what it detects and installs automatically first. I know there's an nvidia-setting tool for nvidia cards, and if your card has optimus capabilitly, there's a program called bumblebee that should be able to switch between the nvidia and intel cards. Haven't used it myself though.

cmpion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmpion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:31 am

So I do think you will want a fresh ext4 filesystem there though with some space on it for new stuff, documents, files, etc, that you create or download once you are using linux.
I found a way. On MS windows through storage settings it is possible to shrink free space of one disk and extend the other.

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:18 am

cmpion wrote:
I found a way. On MS windows through storage settings it is possible to shrink free space of one disk and extend the other.
Good, I thought there was some way, as I said above:
I believe there are still programs from within windows that will even shrink an existing windows partition (assuming there is plenty of free space on it), leaving that free space at the end where new partitions can be created.
But it's been a very long time since I've done that in windows. Be aware that partitions will also have different names in Linux (instead of C: and D: you will have names like /dev/sda2) . It can also help sometimes to give partitions labels if the program allows it, as the label can sometimes show in both OSes and help you identify which partition is which (especially if you have multiple of near the same size).

We are talking about partitions all on the same 465 GB drive? Just want to be clear since you seem to be using "disks" and "partitions" interchangeably. There's only one physical drive, correct?

cmpion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmpion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:22 am

We are talking about partitions all on the same 465 GB drive? Just want to be clear since you seem to be using "disks" and "partitions" interchangeably. There's only one physical drive, correct?
Yeas It is correct, sorry for that. I already installed linux on usb and it worked good) now I am extending the C partition) during linux installation should i choose (1)install instead of windows or (2)custom settings?
If choose 1 do I have a chance not to damage files on D?
If choose 2 will i be able to install linux on C where windows OS is installed?

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Yes do "custom settings", or on the 18.2 installer I think it's called "something else". This way it won't use the whole drive, and you can pick exactly which partitions you want to use. And it won't touch any which you don't select.

You can also create and resize partitions from there, but I prefer to set the partitions up before starting the installer. You can probably do that from Windows (sounds like you maybe already have). I typically use the Gparted tool on the install disk.

So from the installer you can select one partition to mount as "/", another as "/home", and format your swap partition as "swap", and leave everything else. There will be drop down menus where you can make all those choices.

The only other choice there will be where to install the boot loader, and you can leave that at it's default setting. You will want to look into the issue of UEFI first though. I haven't dealt with that myself. But I think you just need to boot into your firmware and disable "secure boot" before you start the install.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 pm

The ultimate guide to Linux for Windows users
may help. I can't speak to the "ultimate" but it does cover the basics in a nice manner.

and the ubiquitious Linux Is not Windows

We can help you identify partition(s) and their arrangement(s) from a LiveCD environment, connected to the Internet and open
the terminal from the Live Desktop and issue

sudo lsblk /dev/sd[a-z] -o model,name,size,fstype,label,uuid,mountpoint | nc termbin.com 9999
and when it prompts for the "password"
just hit <enter> as the LiveCD mint user, it should give you a short link. Copy that here.

One more

inxi -Fsz -c0 | nc termbin.com 9999
and paste both links back here, please?
Then you may close the terminal by issuing "exit" <enter> or graphically using the clicky-clicky. :)

Have Fun!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Just a side note:

Before you remove WIn10 you might want to look through this post: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=244516&start=20#p1316408

Your "D-Drive" may be under the control Windows 10 and removing the Win10 OS before you make a change to it first may make the partition unwriteable.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:19 pm

So in addition to disabling secure boot, it looks like in Windows 10 you also need to go into the Windows power settings and disable fast startup.

cmpion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmpion » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:28 am

Habitual wrote:

sudo lsblk /dev/sd[a-z] -o model,name,size,fstype,label,uuid,mountpoint | nc termbin.com 9999
and when it prompts for the "password"
just hit <enter> as the LiveCD mint user, it should give you a short link. Copy that here.

One more

inxi -Fsz -c0 | nc termbin.com 9999
and paste both links back here, please?
Then you may close the terminal by issuing "exit" <enter> or graphically using the clicky-clicky. :)
Have Fun!
http://termbin.com/3ls0
http://termbin.com/a0qr
It did not ask me to enter password, just the link
Last edited by cmpion on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cmpion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmpion » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:41 pm

acerimusdux wrote:So in addition to disabling secure boot, it looks like in Windows 10 you also need to go into the Windows power settings and disable fast startup.
Yes, thank you but I disabled fast boot long ago, before running linux from usb

cmpion
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Newbie need help [SOLVED]

Post by cmpion » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:19 am

Thank you guys for help! Just installed Mint Cinnamon on my laptop! Everything is ok with hard. Trying to solve the problem with cinnamon crash!
To install Mint i followed the guideline on youtube for Ubuntu. Before that as i said i have increased my primary partition with ms win10 making it 180 GB, after that i booted from usb stick and made partition with MS win10 unallocated and then installed Mint on it by creating swap area 5Gb, 50 gb for os and 125 for home partition. Since my hard was MBR type i can create up to 4 primary partitions on it that is why I made all partitions for Mint primary. My logical drive with all my files remained untouched.
I disabled secure boot before installation

Return to “Newbie Questions”