CPU usage seems high???

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hinto
Level 8
Level 8

Re: CPU usage seems high???

Postby hinto » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:07 am

I had a similar problem and it seemed to be linked with:
Kernel buffers and caches (nothing to do with browsers)
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... nux-system

I changed the kernel scheduling and it cleared things up.

-H
"In God we trust, all others bring data."- W. Edwards Deming

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Postby acerimusdux » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:54 am

newbee121 wrote:Ummmm i already have TLP but i accidentally installed powertop - do you know how to remove it?

Thanks

sudo apt-get purge powertop

Also, remove laptop-mode-tools if you installed that (that's the one that conflicts with TLP, would probably give you an error message if you tried to install both though).

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Postby acerimusdux » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:21 am

Another thing you can do to check what is using CPU time is to just open a terminal window and run the command top. That will give you a real time view of what's happening. I think the default view will have programs sorted by CPU use, but you can use the < > keys to change which column is sorted by. And hit "q" for "quit" when you want to stop it from running.

In any case, I think it would be pretty normal for firefox to be using 20% of CPU time on a laptop. If you want to check the power usage of the underlying system, just shut down any running programs and run powerstat. That will run for about 5 minutes taking readings every 10 seconds.

As long as that's low (say averaging about 5 watts), things are probably operating normally, and you only have to worry about heavy use applications like firefox.

newbee121
Level 3
Level 3

Postby newbee121 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Definitely overheating and switching off?
I'm not sure why and I'm pretty certain if i took it to the apple store they wouldn't get involved as I'm not running IOS???

newbee121
Level 3
Level 3

Postby newbee121 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:56 am

Laptop is still overheating guys - any ideas how to prevent this and the inevitable shutdown that occurs with it?
It's making me less likely to use my linux partition :(

Spearmint2
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Spearmint2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Replace the thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink and maybe your problem goes away. Make sure the fan on CPU is running OK too.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”