Install Mint 18.1 Xfce over Mint 12 <Solved>

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ricker
Level 2
Level 2

Install Mint 18.1 Xfce over Mint 12 <Solved>

Post by Ricker »

Hello,

At the moment I have Mint 12 installed on the hard drive.. I also have the Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce DVD..

I would like to install Mint 18.1 Xfce over Mint 12 however I am not sure how to do this.. :(

When I boot the Mint 18.1 DVD Some of the install questions asked are as follows..

1) Install third party software, Graphics / Wi-Fi / Flash / Mp3

Do I need to select this option for common everyday web surfing like youtube??

Next is the options to install Mint on a dual boot system..

2) Install Mint along side them

3) Something Else

I am not sure which option to select for the install .. Not sure if step 2 will default as a write over and not sure about step 3 setup??

Thanks
Last edited by Ricker on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Install Mint 18.1 Xfce over Mint 12

Post by gold_finger »

Ricker wrote:1) Install third party software, Graphics / Wi-Fi / Flash / Mp3

Do I need to select this option for common everyday web surfing like youtube??
You would need the third party software to play DVD movies, mp3 music files and to view flash content on websites, possibly including some videos on Youtube. (This can also be done after the install if you find later that it is something you need.)
Ricker wrote:Next is the options to install Mint on a dual boot system..

2) Install Mint along side them
If you pick this option it will install along side any other operating systems rather than over (replacing) them; so this is probably not what you want to do. (You'll end up with both Mint12 and Mint18 on the computer vs. replacing 12 with 18.)
Ricker wrote:3) Something Else
This is option that lets you manually pick which partition(s) to install to. You did not mention whether or not you also have Windows on this computer. If you do, then this would probably be the best option for you to use because you'll be able to make sure the installer uses the correct partition(s) -- the old Mint partitions -- without touching the Windows partitions.

Usually there is an option to use the whole disk and erase everything that is currently on it. (Did you not see that as one of the choices?)
If Mint 12 is the only OS on the computer, and if you have saved/backed-up anything on it that you would like to keep, this would be the easiest option to select. Installer would wipe out Mint 12 and automatically create and format new partitions for Mint 18.

I'd suggest that if you have Windows on the machine (and want to keep it) and are unsure of how to proceed, boot your Mint 18 DVD/USB, open GParted and take a screenshot of the partitions on your hard drive that it shows. Use instructions shown here to post that screenshot to the forum for us to look at and we'll advise on best way to proceed. Otherwise, if Mint 12 is the only OS you're best bet is to choose erase and use the whole disk.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
Ricker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ricker »

Yes I did see the option to use the whole disk and erase everything on the Hard Drive.. However I want to keep Windows XP Pro..

When I select Something Else I see a menu table with three options

1) The 80GB HD
2) Windows XP Pro
3) Linux Mint 12

So apparently I select the Mint 12 partition and click the install button.... :D
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

yep - that's it .. assuming that you only have one Mint 12 partition & a /swap partition, too.
- the installer should format both of those partitions, & then proceed to the actual installation.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Ricker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ricker »

Unfortunately it did not work... :(

When I boot my IBM T41 I get...

error: file not found

grub rescue>

Not sure how to repair this error.... :(
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Ricker wrote:When I select Something Else I see a menu table with three options

1) The 80GB HD
2) Windows XP Pro
3) Linux Mint 12

So apparently I select the Mint 12 partition and click the install button....
I'm guessing you are just using words to simplify what you saw. Normally after clicking "Something Else" there is not something that asks whether you want to then replace numbers 1, 2, or 3 that you listed above. (At least it's never done that on any install I've performed.) You should see a list of all the partitions on the drive (some of which might have labels similar to what you described). Then you manually select the one(s) you want to use and you need to set mount point(s) before installing. I have a feeling you might have just clicked on the old mint root partition, but didn't set the mount point as root for the new install. Hopefully you didn't accidentally wipe out your Windows install.

Boot again with your live Mint DVD/USB, open a terminal and run this command to see list of current partitions on the drive:

Code: Select all

sudo parted --list
Take a look at the partitions to see if Windows is still there -- any partitions with "File System" type "ntfs" and/or "fat32" are your Windows partitions. If not, that's bad and I hope you have a backup somewhere that you can restore from.

If they are still there, great! Before closing terminal, look at output and find any partition with "File System" type "ext4" and make a note of what it is called -- probably something like "/dev/sda5". Write that down. If you have more than one "ext4" partition, copy/paste the full output of that command back here for us to see before attempting new install. (Directions for doing that are here.)

Assuming Windows is still there and you only saw one partition with "ext4" file system on the drive, close the terminal and start the installation as you did before. Select "Something Else" again. On partition selection page, look for the partition you wrote down (which is your old Mint 12 root partition). Either double-click on it, or click once to highlight it, then click "Change" button. A dialog box will then show where you can make proper settings before installing.
  • Use as = ext4 file system
  • Size = keep size as it is, don't change
  • Mount Point = "/" (for root)
  • Check box to Format the partition.
  • Hit "OK" or "Apply" when done (can't remember exact wording).
  • If it pops-up a warning complaining that you changed the size of the partition, even though you did not, ignore warning and just hit the "Go Back" button. All will be fine.
When done setting that partition, no need to do anything with the old Swap partition -- installer will handle that automatically.

Near bottom of page, "Device for boot loader installation" should be set to "/dev/sda".

Now you should be able to finish install and system should boot properly afterwards.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

Ricker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ricker »

Mr. Gold Finger,

OK seems to be working both Windows and MInt 18.... :D

I think the "Device for boot loader installation" should be set to "/dev/sda". was set to the Mint 12 during the first install...

Thanks for your Help!!

Ricker
Last edited by Ricker on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Great! Go ahead and mark this thread as <SOLVED> by editing the title of your first post.
Ricker wrote:I think the "Device for boot loader installation" should be set to "/dev/sda". was set to the Mint 12 during the first install...
Okay, that would have caused the problem you ran into. First stage of grub boot loader in the MBR of drive was still from Mint 12, but rest of files needed to complete booting were no longer there when you replaced Mint 12 root with Mint 18 the first time.

Return to “Newbie Questions”