Mint -6 Cannot Log on

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Re: Mint -6 Cannot Log on

Post by viking777 »

Well I can tell you how I deal with it - but it may not suit you, you decide.

With a root text editor go to /boot/grub/menu.lst. First make a backup copy of it and then see if in any of the boot stanzas in there have a line looking like:

resume=UUID=1bf61ac4-43b6xxxxxx

If they do then delete them and save the file (don't delete anything else or you will compound the problem not fix it).

The reason this works for me is that I never use hibernate or suspend, if you want to do so then this is probably not a good idea. In that case you might like to see if it is the correct UUID so you would run

Code: Select all

sudo vol_id /dev/sda7

Assuming sda7 was your swap partition.

If it doesn't match the one in menu.lst then change it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Mint -6 Cannot Log on

Post by viking777 »

Don't put it anywhere Alex - I was obviously just on the wrong track. Some distros have the 'resume=' line in menu.lst' but it looks like Mint doesn't (mine doesn't either, but as I said I don't use hibernate or suspend).

Also you copied my command line entry verbatim (it was only meant as an example) /dev/sda7 is not your swap file since swap files do not have ext2 filesystems.

Anyway as I say, I was on the wrong track so just ignore me :)

Sorry I couldn't help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”