Installing a bad copy of linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BKS Emperor X
Level 1
Level 1

Installing a bad copy of linux

Postby BKS Emperor X » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Hello Members,

I am a Newbie to Linux Mint and I want to know if I installed a bad copy of Linux, wouldn't it be able to be fixed by patching it? I haven't verified my download yet with the checksums. What would happen if I didn't verify if the download was legit? :?:

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing a bad copy of linux

Postby austin.texas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:58 pm

If you did happen to download a faulty .iso file (which is quite rare), there is no way to predict what problem you might have. It would be like a scratched CD. The scratch could be at the beginning of a track or at the end. In the same way, your downloaded data could be incomplete at any point.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Suggestion---always verify your ISO
https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 pm

BKS Emperor X wrote:if I installed a bad copy of Linux, wouldn't it be able to be fixed by patching it?

Impossible. At first you would have to know, where exactly the differences are. At second even in the theoretical case this would be known, the effort to "patch" it would cost some tens, perhaps hundred times the needed time in comparison to downloading it again.

BKS Emperor X wrote:What would happen if I didn't verify if the download was legit? :?:

For example: The download got corrupted. Now the ISO image can possibly not work at all, it might work, but on the one or other place not as it should do. Or you could get a not authentic copy with some changes; rather unlikely at now as austin said, but not impossible. In this case even some malware could be added to your system.

Not verifying is like playing Roulette. With rather good chances, but Roulette. And if something should not work correctly during install, you would get asked here at once, if the download has been verified.

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JoeFootball » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:27 pm

BKS Emperor X wrote:I haven't verified my download yet with the checksums.

Yet? Then you still have the original ISO file that you downloaded? If so, just take five minutes and verify it.

Even though you've already done the installation, there's technically nothing stopping you from verifying the ISO file after the fact, though that's certainly not the intended practice.

Joe

Mute Ant
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Mute Ant » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:03 pm

The transmission program will patch a damaged ISO. Put the torrent link and the ISO together in the Downloads folder and open the link with the Transmission application. It will checksum the file as hundreds of fragments and re-load any pieces that don't match. That's why a bit-torrent is so good at fetching distro images.

Everything in Mint is available as packages from the repositories. You can simply re-install everything whether it needs it or not. That's a download of around 2400 packages or 1250MiB, so it takes more than a few minutes to 'refresh' a system the first time you try it...
sudo apt-get install --reinstall $(apt-mark showmanual) $(apt-mark showauto)

The debsums command will check that an installed package matches the repository version without actually downloading anything. So you can check your whole system with one command...
debsums | grep -v OK
...but interpreting not-OK files needs a bit of judgement. If a 'lib' or 'bin' file fails, it needs re-installing. If a 'png' or 'ini' file fails the check, it's not a serious error.
Do you ever have deja vu Mrs. Lancaster?
I don’t think so, but I could check with the kitchen.

Return to “Newbie Questions”