grub file mod slowed boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cybervigilante

grub file mod slowed boot

Post by cybervigilante »

I modified the grub file to stop mouse freezing with intel_idle.max_cstate=1, but now I get this long scrolling list when I boot. Can I omit the list somehow?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: grub file mod slowed boot

Post by Spearmint2 »

cybervigilante wrote:I modified the grub file to stop mouse freezing with intel_idle.max_cstate=1, but now I get this long scrolling list when I boot. Can I omit the list somehow?
yes, enter -- quiet splash into the grub.cfg file, or could just run update-grub in terminal and it probably will put it there.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
cybervigilante

Post by cybervigilante »

I assume I put quiet splash into GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="intel_idle.max_cstate=1" Do I put that within the quotes with a space before it? As in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="intel_idle.max_cstate=1 quiet splash" It's unclear to me where to put that. I'm new at this ;) Also, I assume that's in etc/default/grub since the boot/grub/grub.cfg files says to not modify it. There seem to be grub files all over so I need to be sure of the right location.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

experiment. You could first try it in grub.cfg, then add to default/grub later if you want.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

If you edit the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg it's temporary. You edit it, and reboot to try it out. The next run of the update-grub command will revert your edit.

If you edit the file /etc/default/grub your instructions will be included in all subsequent runs of update-grub.

"quiet splash" is the normal instruction, so who removed it? Google will help... "About 196,000 results"

You can reset the whole grub package by re-installing grub-pc... sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-pc

Return to “Beginner Questions”