[Solved] Notepad ++ thru Wine

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
knob
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Notepad ++ thru Wine

Post by knob » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:37 am

Using Wine to emulate Notepad++ i get this error attached.
Any help is welcome !
Last edited by knob on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Notepad ++ thru Wine

Post by JoeFootball » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 am

knob wrote:Any help is welcome !
While I can't directly help with your question, I can indirectly offer these Notepad++ alternatives.

I use Notepad++ at work, and Notepadqq at home where I can attest to its familiarity.

Joe

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:55 am

Never expect Windows apps to run in Wine. It's not an emulator and it's garbage. PLayonlinux etc are based on wine and no better. Most apps don't work. If they do they tend to have problems.

If you need or want WIndows software the only reliable way is in Windows, in dual boot or in a VM if you're talking about a Linux box.

I don't have any WIndows partitions any more but if I was using a computer for business I would. While I don't need Windows software, I think a lot of people do, and they need Windows.

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:[Wine is] not an emulator and it's garbage.
Wine works great! (but not for everything).
I use wine to run all my audio/video/image software; I probably wouldn't use linux if wine didn't exist.

OP: notepad++ is just a text editor - that's something linux can deal with, so try some linux text-editing software.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi "knob",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are a lot of excellent text and programming editors that run natively on Linux without using "Wine" or "Play On Linux (POL)". "NotepaddQQ (notepadqq)" is a clone of "notepad ++"

notepadqq – Notepad++ for Ubuntu Linux, Updated May 24, 2017
https://www.linuxtechi.com/notepadqq-no ... ntu-linux/

This might be in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" as well.

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:notepadqq-team/notepadqq

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install notepadqq
Easy to install Linux ".deb" files are available on the PPA website as well
https://launchpad.net/~notepadqq-team/+ ... /+packages

Just click the link above, then click "Xenial Ubuntu 16.04 for Linux Mint 18.x, or Trusty Ubuntu 14.04 for Linux Mint 17.x, then click the 32-bit or 64-bit deb file or "all" deb file, download that file, and double click it to install it, if it does not start to install automatically.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

knob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by knob » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, the similar editors are ok, but can't be compared with N++.
Anyway, I was able to solve the issue by installing the M$ truetype core fonts.
tks, cheers!

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:02 pm

knob wrote:I was able to solve the issue by installing the M$ truetype core fonts.
Good call. I would have never thought that fonts would produce a 54-character variance in cursor position. :)

Joe

yetanothermintuser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yetanothermintuser » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:29 am

knob wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:39 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, the similar editors are ok, but can't be compared with N++.
Anyway, I was able to solve the issue by installing the M$ truetype core fonts.
tks, cheers!
Thanks for posting this ... that was my issue as well. I've tried Notepadqq (among others), but they just don't do what I want.

Another bonus -- this trick also allowed me to run TextPad under wine. Both of those applications have features that I missed.

Return to “Newbie Questions”