[Solved] Notepad ++ thru Wine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
knob
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Notepad ++ thru Wine

Post by knob »

Using Wine to emulate Notepad++ i get this error attached.
Any help is welcome !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Notepad ++ thru Wine

Post by JoeFootball »

knob wrote:Any help is welcome !
While I can't directly help with your question, I can indirectly offer these Notepad++ alternatives.

I use Notepad++ at work, and Notepadqq at home where I can attest to its familiarity.

Joe
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Never expect Windows apps to run in Wine. It's not an emulator and it's garbage. PLayonlinux etc are based on wine and no better. Most apps don't work. If they do they tend to have problems.

If you need or want WIndows software the only reliable way is in Windows, in dual boot or in a VM if you're talking about a Linux box.

I don't have any WIndows partitions any more but if I was using a computer for business I would. While I don't need Windows software, I think a lot of people do, and they need Windows.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Hoser Rob wrote:[Wine is] not an emulator and it's garbage.
Wine works great! (but not for everything).
I use wine to run all my audio/video/image software; I probably wouldn't use linux if wine didn't exist.

OP: notepad++ is just a text editor - that's something linux can deal with, so try some linux text-editing software.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "knob",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are a lot of excellent text and programming editors that run natively on Linux without using "Wine" or "Play On Linux (POL)". "NotepaddQQ (notepadqq)" is a clone of "notepad ++"

notepadqq – Notepad++ for Ubuntu Linux, Updated May 24, 2017
https://www.linuxtechi.com/notepadqq-no ... ntu-linux/

This might be in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" as well.

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:notepadqq-team/notepadqq

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install notepadqq
Easy to install Linux ".deb" files are available on the PPA website as well
https://launchpad.net/~notepadqq-team/+ ... /+packages

Just click the link above, then click "Xenial Ubuntu 16.04 for Linux Mint 18.x, or Trusty Ubuntu 14.04 for Linux Mint 17.x, then click the 32-bit or 64-bit deb file or "all" deb file, download that file, and double click it to install it, if it does not start to install automatically.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
knob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by knob »

Thanks for the suggestions, the similar editors are ok, but can't be compared with N++.
Anyway, I was able to solve the issue by installing the M$ truetype core fonts.
tks, cheers!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

knob wrote:I was able to solve the issue by installing the M$ truetype core fonts.
Good call. I would have never thought that fonts would produce a 54-character variance in cursor position. :)

Joe
yetanothermintuser

Post by yetanothermintuser »

knob wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:39 pm Thanks for the suggestions, the similar editors are ok, but can't be compared with N++.
Anyway, I was able to solve the issue by installing the M$ truetype core fonts.
tks, cheers!
Thanks for posting this ... that was my issue as well. I've tried Notepadqq (among others), but they just don't do what I want.

Another bonus -- this trick also allowed me to run TextPad under wine. Both of those applications have features that I missed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”