Which edition to go for?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gewitty
Level 2
Level 2

Which edition to go for?

Post by gewitty »

I'm about to install Mint on a box with an Intel CoreTM2 Duo E8400, 4Gb RAM and an Nvidia 9400GT.

Looking at the editions available, I am not sure whether to go for the standard or x64 versions. The site says that the x64 version is optimised for 64bit, but that the standard edition is also compatible and is more stable.

So which one should I use and what are the differences in performance?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Which edition to go for?

Post by rivenought »

With your hardware specs, you can choose either edition. Though, I think you might be better served with the 64-bit version of Mint. Test everything with the Live CD first just to verify. Have fun.
gewitty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gewitty »

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

My recommendation is ALWAYS the XFCE edition - but they're all good in their own right!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
gewitty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gewitty »

Thanks for the replies.
Eddie G. Wilson

Post by Eddie G. Wilson »

Nowadays the 64 bit version of Mint is really no less stable then the 32 bit version. You just have to make sure that the apps you use are compiled for 64 bit machines. You can also run the 32 bit version of apps. if you have the correct libraries installed. Once you see the performance increase you'll be very happy.

Eddie

Return to “Beginner Questions”