Screen display

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Bayle
Level 1
Level 1

Screen display

Post by Bayle »

I am new to linux, My display is too dark, how do I make brighter. Using Linux Mint
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Screen display

Post by jimallyn »

Monitor got a Brightness control on it?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

If it's a laptop there should be keys which control the screen brightness, normally FN + the keys marked with the brightness symbols. It's also likely that your Power Management settings (usually accessible via the "battery" icon in your Panel, near the clock) has the screen brightness set at less than maximum, especially when on battery.

With external monitors you can control the brightness by installing and using "redshift". There is a GUI ("redshift-gtk") but this doesn't appear to work on this system (17.3 Cinnamon); not really an issue as it's quite easy to use it via Terminal - I can assist with this - and I have created shortcuts on the desktop which set various brightness levels. If you're using KDE you might also want the Plasma widget.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Bayle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bayle »

Problem resolved by a adjusting the Brightness settings in the BIOS

Return to “Newbie Questions”