Help for newbie on Printing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint weiwei
This is a older style of router with printer server, as it can do not use IP address to access the printer port.
I do not understand. How is the printer connected to the router? What is the IP of the printer?
Which port number, is 9100 correct?

The administration for cups http://localhost:631/ in your browser may help you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Help for newbie on Printing

Post by scorp123 »

weiwei wrote: look under window XP for it driver, it creates a port which points to routers IP address and then LPT1 for printing.
That's a virtual "LPT1:" port, not a real one.
weiwei wrote: I tried to mimic the setup in Linux Mint
Linux is not Windows :wink:
weiwei wrote: 1. I selected network printer, then TCP/SOCKET, HP jDirect, RawConnection
2. I typed in my router's IP address
3. on Port, system assign port 9100 by itself.
Sounds good.
weiwei wrote: I have tried many different setting on port, but none of them work. I tried LPT 1, LPT #1, lpt1, LPT1.
Linux is not Windows. Linux is not MS-DOS. Using MS-DOS device names in Linux is not very likely to work. Besides: "port" here means TCP/IP port. 9100 tcp is the standard target port for UNIX-style network printing.
weiwei wrote: But when I connect directly to the printer via Parallel cable, it prints fine. so the driver is not the issue here.
No, it's clearly your networking setup. Why not use the printer directly on the Linux computer? You can use Linux to share the printer on the rest of the network ... it's a server operating system after all :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

weiwei wrote:Under this condition, is it possible print to that router's print server?
No idea, as I don't know that strange print server you have there :wink:

Given that printing works when you connect the printer directly to the parallel port ( /dev/lp0 ) you might have easier success if you follow my suggestion:
  • - connect the printer to the Linux system
    - use CUPS (http://localhost:631) to share it
    - have all other computers print to this "new" printer
Alternative: Exchange your print server and use a device which is capable of standard UNIX-printing via TCP/IP and port 9100.

Return to “Beginner Questions”