Lost Wallpaper and Session Settings after upgrading from 17.3 to 18.2

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Lost Wallpaper and Session Settings after upgrading from 17.3 to 18.2

Post by jimwg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Greetings:

After upgrading 17.3 to 18.2 today I discovered that I lost my no "change the background" setting and now all the desktop images I assigned each desktop screen were running through a batch of random images whose folder source I can't pin down. What's weird is in "yes" change background mode all these images are cycling in the Desktop yet there are no images in the actual Desktop Settings wallpapers display panel. When I re-set each desktop screen to no change the background I found that not only doesn't the wallpaper Pictures folder in Desktop Settings display any images, even after resetting the wallpaper folder to backgrounds or any image folder, it stubborn re-sets back to Pictures folder after I close and come back. Beyond this, when I selected any images folder all the entries were ghosted so I can't even see or chose any image to normally display.

Also it seems I've lost my Startup Session panel at boot up and I can't get it back even after re-setting its main panel.

Any recommendations welcome

Jim in NYC

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Lost Wallpaper and Session Settings after upgrading from 17.3 to 18.2

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:59 am

II read your post twice, but sorry, I did not really understand, what exactly your situation might be. (Perhaps a limitation in my English knowledge.) Try to describe it in other words.

In any case:

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

Do you have multiple monitors? Perhaps with different resolution?

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:19 am

Thanks for reply:

jimwg@spacepad3 ~ $ inxi -Sz
System: Host: spacepad3 Kernel: 4.4.0-57-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
jimwg@spacepad3 ~ $

I want to reaffirm the suggestion given me by Linuxmintforums users with you first: where are the Desktop and Session settings and cache folders for me to delete? Thanks.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:29 am

There must have been something going wrong. You wrote, that you have upgraded the system to 18.2, but your output says, that you have still Mint 18.1. Whatever has gone wrong here might be responsible for your problems.

Do you still see the offer to upgrade to 18.2 in the update manager?

Return to “Newbie Questions”