[SOLVED] LM as NAS and Media Server?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
snowcrash101
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] LM as NAS and Media Server?

Post by snowcrash101 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:42 am

Hello

At the moment I have an aging NAS, which is used to store music (for a Sonos system), and an aging Kodi box to stream/play video stored on the NAS.

I'm thinking that the NAS and Kodi box could be replaced with a mini-pc, with LM acting both as a NAS and media server. For example, I would buy an intel NUC mini-pc, which would be connected to a couple of USB 3.0 2TB HDDs (acting as a NAS), and installing Kodi (as the media server). I would want the HDDs to be network accessible by other devices too, e.g. my PC (LM installed), laptops (some using Windows), Sonos system (which uses samba sharing), and Android phone. The NUC would be left on 24/7.

Is this possible, relatively easy to setup? Would accessing the HDDs be any slower than using a regular type NAS box? (I don't need RAID or huge data storage for the NAS).

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by snowcrash101 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learning linux & dumping spyware Windows
Intel Core i5-7500 (Kaby Lake) | Asus H270-Plus | 16gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD | 2TB HDD

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LM as NAS and Media Server?

Post by MintBean » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 am

It's easy. Wouldn't be slower than a NAS but it would use a lot more electricity, especially if you insist on running a GUI. Something like Ubuntu server (without a GUI) makes a lot more sense on a 24/7 NAS and you should choose a low power server PC. If you combine your Media centre and NAS, there are compromises. Check to see if it's possible to attach a USB drive to your router to act as a NAS.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LM as NAS and Media Server?

Post by mr_raider » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:19 pm

I run an ubuntu server with no monitor (headless) as a server and it works fine. No monitor, no mouse no keyboard. I administer every thing via ssh from another machine, or using the webmin app from a browser window. I run TVheadend to record tv, and kodi on android boxes to connect to and playback media. You can do samba shares, PVR functions, torrent downlaods. You can even do RAID. Sky is the limit.

If you go that route post in the chat section and we can help.

Alternatively any Mint distro can do the same, and if you like to have a monitor attached, that's fine too.

Most important, is planning out your needs and selecting your hardware properly. OS can be changes. Finding out your server doesn't have enough SATA ports is a much bigger PITA.

FYI NUC pcs are too expensive IMHO. I picked up an AMD APU (7860) and cheap mobo from amazon for 170$ combo. I recycled old RAM, SSD and HDDs. Get a cheap Rosewill case from newgg or something.

snowcrash101
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] LM as NAS and Media Server?

Post by snowcrash101 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks for the advice

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Any update on how you went. I have the exact same idea as your original plan. I happen to have a brand new NUC in my closet.

I'd be especially interested if you stayed with USB drives because in one of the great replies using SATA connected drives was mentioned.

I also will definitely prefer headless.

If this thread may have moved elsewhere please let me know I'm very interested in the topic.
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop: HP6300 SFF Desktop: HP8000 USFF Desktop: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint!

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Suspect if you are buying all the kit from scratch it could cost more than buying a new NAS off the shelf.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Already have the NUC got it as a gift.
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop: HP6300 SFF Desktop: HP8000 USFF Desktop: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint!

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:33 pm

:D
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

snowcrash101
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowcrash101 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:38 am

JayBird707 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm
Any update on how you went. I have the exact same idea as your original plan. I happen to have a brand new NUC in my closet.

I'd be especially interested if you stayed with USB drives because in one of the great replies using SATA connected drives was mentioned.

I also will definitely prefer headless.

If this thread may have moved elsewhere please let me know I'm very interested in the topic.
I ended up buying a NAS, as when I posted back then, I knew little about linux/running ubuntu headless and didn't want the hassle of setting up/maintaining.
Though since then, I've learnt a lot more about linux and running a headless server. I think if you're willing to spend a bit of time and enjoy this kind of thing, then worth pursuing. If I didn't have a NAS now, I'd run something like FreeNAS or ubuntu server

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:27 pm

I built mine from ground up.
First, I wanted to keep all my precious data there, not only media.
Got Supermicro server board. Added four drives in addition to OS drive, running RAIDZ-2 on those four.
Using ECC memory, why not, some argue it complimentary with ZFS.
Chose i3-4130T CPU, it is plenty for a headless box and won't show up on my power bill.
Two TV PCIe TV cards, six receivers in total. I cut the cable, do not want to give a penny to the fake news agencies. Two antennas give me 30+ channels.
Wife's /home directory is there, so she can use her desktop or laptop with all her stuff current, regardless which computer she uses.
It has been running for years now, had to replace a hard drive once, but no data loss. Of course, there are backups just in case.

Poohstyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Poohstyx » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am

I'm looking into the diy route as well now.
The current box is getting full and at its limit for expandability.

My immediate needs are about 8TB, but I would like to be able to expand to 20TB+ without major issues.

Don't need a media server, users can just play stuff direct from the nas.
All users have free r/o access to everything (anonymous login).
Admin login to change settings, drive configuration or r/w access.
No web access, strictly local network access only.
Running headless & controlled via web interface.
Don't want the processor intensive stuff like ZFS and most RAID functionality, but I would like snapshot and RAID mirror available for backup purposes.

Downloaded OpenMediaVault as first trial.

I've got a picture in my head of how I would like the web interface to look (big fan of minimalist).
Hardware:
Motherboard = Intel DH77EB
CPU = G2020 with stock cooler
Memory = 4*4GB ripjaws
Boot drive = Crucial 240GB msata

Return to “Newbie Questions”