[SOLVED] Changing desktop environment

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dalexunil

[SOLVED] Changing desktop environment

Post by dalexunil »

So, I'm trying to decide which flavor of LM 18.2 to install but find that I like features/look of most of them! How difficult/easy is it to go on to another once the OS of one flavor, say, MATE, then switch to using KDE? Pretty much a newb here so I'd like to know before I jump in with one. Thanks

Dale
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Changing desktop environment

Post by richyrich »

To get each experience separately, I humbly suggest that you try each version of Mint separately (on it's own). :)

Mixing Desktop Environments (DE) has caused many problems for many users. Many apps/utilities can and will be duplicated, causing much confusion in the menu also.

Here's a good read . . written by one of our forum members.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Its not advised to set up multiple desktop environments on the same install, you can do it but it can create a lot of problems. Actually switching from the point of view of user usability is fairly straight forward, intuitive and easy to get to grips with so that's really not something to worry about. Choosing the best version for you is not only based on 'look or feel' but the abilities the power of your machine, what you want to do with it, how fast you want it doing etc.

If you've got a fairly modern PC then the right choice is any, if you've got an ageing one then maybe Xfce is the right choice.

Don't forget there's lots of options to customize your desktop too.

For better advise of which one you should actually choose provide the results of this terminal command.

inxi -Fxz
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

generally speaking, you can get away with having, maybe Two Desktop versions,
on the one machine, but any more than that, is getting very risky.

also - you would not combine two heavier DEs - like Cinnamon & Kde,
but, more like the Mate or Xfce DE with one of those heavier versions.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
dalexunil

Post by dalexunil »

Mattyboy wrote:For better advise of which one you should actually choose provide the results of this terminal command.

inxi -Fxz
Here is the output:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC v: 0692100000204710000620100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1793 v: 41.1C
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: F.08 date: 01/17/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9977
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 983 MHz 2: 815 MHz 3: 901 MHz
           4: 803 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.03hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak]
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 765.7GB (0.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD7500BPKT size: 750.2GB temp: 33C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: TransMemory size: 15.5GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 6.39GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: 45.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 49 min Memory: 1457.8/5914.2MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
mint@mint ~ $ 
Thanks for the help.

Dale
Last edited by dalexunil on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dalexunil

Post by dalexunil »

So, what I'm getting here is that when one decides to "switch" to another DE, it is simply best to do a new install?

Dale
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you can indeed do it that way,
or, you can simply use Synaptic - to install the new Desktop Environment.

since you'r already using the Mate DE, then you could try adding the XFCE DE via synaptic.
- be aware, that there is a small risk, in adding a 2nd Desktop Environment, via synaptic
but, generally, it does work out.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

My problem is I like K3B, and I like Nemo, and I like Nautilus, and I like MATE. When you install K3B and Nautilus it installs a lot of stuff from KDE. When you install Nemo it installs a lot of stuff from Cinnamon. I also like some of the "G" programs, so I get a lot of stuff from Gnome.

I never ever really had an issue, until I came from Arch to Mint. I kept my Home directory and at first had some 'teething problems', especially with desktop configs, but I was able to overcome them eventually. In fact, I'm using that install right now. It wasn't easy, but I got it done (with some help from people here pointing me in the right direction...)

Other than that, I haven't had any issues no matter how many desktops I had loaded up (at one time I had MATE, Cinnamon, Gnome and XFCE). I will say, however, it appears XFCE suffers the worst from having more than 2 desktops on the system, but I don't care for it much anyway.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yep - you can get a few duplicate entries / icons of the same program,
for example. when running, say, Mate & Xfce together.
dalexunil

Post by dalexunil »

Great replies guys!

And then there's the question - how would I switch back and forth between them on my machine? (Told you, newble here :) )

Dale
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Based on your specs my choice would be either Xfce, KDE or based on what you've said, MATE. If that's the one you like then go for it. I like my machines to use their power to work on the projects I'm doing, not to waste resources but saying that you're pretty much OK running any one you like.
dalexunil wrote:Great replies guys!

And then there's the question - how would I switch back and forth between them on my machine? (Told you, newble here :) )

Dale
Just choose which one at boot.
Last edited by Mattyboy on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

dalexunil wrote:Great replies guys!

Dale
you have to actually log-out / re-start
& select the other DE from the actual log-in screen
- then continue with the log-in, as normal.
dalexunil

Post by dalexunil »

Thanks muchly for your replies! It has put yet another 'wrinkle' into my gray matter - and that's a good thing :lol:

I shall mark this thread [SOLVED]!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

dalexunil wrote:So, what I'm getting here is that when one decides to "switch" to another DE, it is simply best to do a new install?
Yes, especially while one is a newcomer to Mint. Best way to avoid complications.

On the other hand, side-by-side installations (dual boot or multiboot) are fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

dalexunil wrote:Thanks muchly for your replies! It has put yet another 'wrinkle' into my gray matter - and that's a good thing :lol:

I shall mark this thread [SOLVED]!
Gnome and MATE get along well, because they both use GtK as a base. XFCE does as well, but it just acts funny with MATE installed too. MATE is like the old Windows interface, KDE is too, but GNome had tiles long before Windows. If you like tiles, go with Gnome. Note, these are just personal observations.

KDE wa always "heavy", and I don't like the current iteration of it.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

richyrich wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 am To get each experience separately, I humbly suggest that you try each version of Mint separately (on it's own). :)

Mixing Desktop Environments (DE) has caused many problems for many users. Many apps/utilities can and will be duplicated, causing much confusion in the menu also.

Forced me to reinstall the whole OS again. I tried mac like environment and mate. On my cinnamon laptop.
Then I removed both but still the option wasn't going away and some gentlemen guided me to uninstall ppa. I followed it and it successfully uninstalled timeshift, terminal, browsers and whole cinnamon OS. Using multiple environments is something poison.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

vishgaur wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 pm
richyrich wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 am To get each experience separately, I humbly suggest that you try each version of Mint separately (on it's own). :)

Forced me to reinstall the whole OS again. I tried mac like environment and mate. On my cinnamon laptop.
Then I removed both but still the option wasn't going away and some gentlemen guided me to uninstall ppa. I followed it and it successfully uninstalled timeshift, terminal, browsers and whole cinnamon OS. Using multiple environments is something poison.
Installing a PPA totally boned one of my systems. If you search long and hard enough, you can find a .deb somewhere that will install what you need, or a .tar.gz so you can compile it yourself. A bit of a PITA, but it works. You need build-essentials, which is not an end-all. You also need cmake and a few other things; when you try to compile read the error messages and it will tell you what you need.

Return to “Beginner Questions”