Disable "Close Function" for Middle-Mouse Button

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lightfoot

Disable "Close Function" for Middle-Mouse Button

Post by Lightfoot »

Hi all!

I'm using Mint XFCE 18.2 x64 and I can't seem to find an option to disable the "Close function" for middle-click mouse button. This happens whenever I hover the mouse pointer over the title bar and accidentally clicked the middle-mouse button which then closes the window or tab. This happens on the minimized programs on the panels, browser tabs, etc.

I already googled for a solution, but most of them are related to scrolling and middle-mouse paste function which is different from my problem.

Thanks!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Disable "Close Function" for Middle-Mouse Button

Post by austin.texas »

For the open windows:
Open System Settings > Windows > configure it differently...

The minimized tabs on the Panel are controlled by the Window List configuration. Right-click on any tab > Preferences > Configure
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Lightfoot

Post by Lightfoot »

Hi! Thanks for your reply.
Open System Settings > Windows > configure it differently...
There's only Window Manager and Window Manager Tweaks in which both doesn't have any options to disable the middle click for close.
Right-click on any tab > Preferences > Configure
These are the only option when I do this step. Minimize, Maximize, Move, Resize, Always on top and Close. I can only see preferences for the panel options but again there's no setting to disable it.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Sorry. My instructions work in my Cinnamon. I thought the Window List in xfce would work the same.
It does sound like you clicked on the window itself instead of right-clicking on the tab on the Panel ?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
v3ry3arly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by v3ry3arly »

Because it was driving me insane, and I know someone else will still be searching for the fix in 2019..

1. Right-click on the Panel.
2. Select Panel, then Panel Preferences.
3. In the Panel pop-up window, click the Items tab.
4. Scroll down and click on the "Window Buttons" item.
5. Click the "Edit the Currently Selected Item" button to the right of this item. It'll look like a small document/page.
6. In the Window buttons pop-up window, click the drop-down box near "Middle Click Action" and change it to "Nothing".

I tested this on Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE.
Currently supporting Mint by:
- Seeding torrents (19.2/LMDE3, all versions)
tjradcliffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tjradcliffe »

Thanks for this! Your solution works perfectly, and I would have *never* found it myself.

Return to “Beginner Questions”