Differences between versions / editions? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SyncroScales
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Differences between versions / editions?

Post by SyncroScales »

Thank you for the replies.

Keyboard: The command to put into the command line Terminal in the links worked. Thank you ZakGordon for the hardinfo program.

I think I might need to start a new thread for this problem with the printer. My printer showed up, I downloaded everything from Brother and followed these instructions for a usb wired connection, everything downloaded and stopped here:
2017-07-30 08:01:50 (725 KB/s) - ‘brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb’ saved [50852/50852]

dpkg -i --force-all brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package brscan-skey.
(Reading database ... 199754 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb ...
Unpacking brscan-skey (0.2.4-1) ...
Setting up brscan-skey (0.2.4-1) ...:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... page2.html I opened a picture, tried to print, but after the information was received, nothing printed. I have enough ink.

Using a virtual machine (?) is it possible to run any version of Linux within Windows Vista with my computer specs? I assume only a 32-bit version.

Can I change the single mouse clicking of programs into a double click to access them? Single clicks sometimes open stuff I don't want to.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

If you still haven't solved the printer problem, take a look at Pjotr's tutorial. If that's doesn't turn the trick, yeah, open another thread.

Only just starting with VirtualBox myself, but in my understanding your desktop has enough memory, though just enough, and the laptop probably not. Note that XP is no longer supported. Vista still works, but probably won't in the next revision.

Mouse settings can be found at Menu: Preferences: Mouse. Adjust the double-click timeout.
SyncroScales
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks for the info.

I need to install so I can do shut-downs.

Can a 32-bit OS run a 64-bit Os in a virtual machine? I thought you had to stick with 32-bit and 32-bit, or 64-bit can do both. I think the RAM limitation is a main issue.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

SyncroScales wrote:Can a 32-bit OS run a 64-bit Os in a virtual machine?
Yes, if you meet certain conditions: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03. ... 4bitguests.

In short:
- You must select a 64 bit Linux version when creating the virtual machine.
- Your processor must be 64 bit (of course) and must support hardware virtualization.
- After creating the virtual machine go to settings and check that on System > Motherboard the "Enable I/O APIC" is enabled and that on System > Acceleration "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" is enabled.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

SyncroScales wrote:Can a 32-bit OS run a 64-bit Os in a virtual machine? I thought you had to stick with 32-bit and 32-bit, or 64-bit can do both.
In addition to what xenopeek says, you've been running 64 bit Linux Mint, haven't you? So we know your processor can handle it.

By the way, when I mentioned that XP is no longer supported, I meant as the host system for VirtualBox. Still works fine as guest, which the advantage you can sandbox it from the internet and eliminate the risk of malware attacks. You would do that from inside Linux, though, not your current system.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

As pbear suggested, I'd also strongly recommend using Linux as the host OS.

For your scanner, I'd suggest starting a thread and listing the make and full model number. Note: this *might* need a driver download from outside the repos. We should be able to help sort that out.

I had the opposite to your case. In fact, my BearPaw was limited to 600DPI (might even have been 300) under Windows 7 and I don't remember it being much better under xp. Really crappy interface too, looks like it was designed for five-year-olds. Even they might be insulted by that suggestion.

The driver I installed for Linux gives MUCH better options .. all the resolutions supported up to the scanner's max of 2400DPI and a selection of colour profiles for slides and negatives with the common film types from different manufacturers.

It sounds like you are using KDE if single-click is default. I wouldn't have it any other way but the settings can be changed via Menu > Settings > System Settings > Input Devices (under "Hardware") > Mouse. This is for LM18.2 KDE.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
SyncroScales
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks for the information.
SyncroScales
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SyncroScales »

I am going to mark this thread as [SOLVED]. Thank you for all the information.

I tried Ubuntu. It was OK.

I am trying Cinnamon (64-bit) first. The Live DVD's were not too bad to test everything. The Linux Mint distro's all seemed to respond the same on my laptop and desktop.

KDE gave me some errors. Xfce did not let me play some video's on YouTube although Google said the codec's were there.

I noticed that each distribution had programs that seem to be for that distro.

Thank you.
CoffeeFiend
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Differences between versions / editions? [SOLVED]

Post by CoffeeFiend »

Lots of great information. Thanks for the post and replies!
"The best part of waking up, is Folgers in your cup!"

Return to “Newbie Questions”