[solved] how to make USB stick writeable

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Richarda
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] how to make USB stick writeable

Post by Richarda » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:59 am

I want to copy some photos to USB stick to transfer to my desktop but msg says it is read only.

How can I copy files to this USB stick?
Last edited by Richarda on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to make USB stick writeable

Post by Charlie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 pm

by pyrus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:03 pm

I had the same problem with various types of USB memory sticks on Mint 13 Maya (MATE edition). I actually had two problems:
a) One of my sticks (that I had copied from the Mint ISO) was formatted as an ISO-9660 (CD) format filesystem
b) Other sticks were mounted read-write but my user only had read-only access to them

For the first problem I guess I'm stuck with the restriction of the filesystem, but for the others I created a UDEV rule to give myself read-write access as follows:

1. Create a file in /etc/udev/rules.d, e.g. 90-usb-disks.rules
2. Place the following in the new file:

Code: Select all

# UDEV Rules to change the permission of USB disks
#

KERNEL=="sd*[0-9]", ATTR{removable}=="1", ENV{ID_BUS}=="usb", MODE="0666"
In Mint I didn't even have to restart the UDEV service as creating the file triggers the new rules to be loaded :D

This is based on the advice on AskUbuntu here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/17540/ho ... able-drive with changed MODE value.

Richarda
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Re: how to make USB stick writeable

Post by Richarda » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:12 am

thanks,
that's a bit advanced for me but I dual booted back to windows and the USB worked.

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [solved] how to make USB stick writeable

Post by Charlie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:10 am

No problem. It's just a matter of finding the right place and then copy and pasting as shown. A two minute job. Really.

Return to “Newbie Questions”