Where Are The Program Files?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Granny_Geek
Level 1
Level 1

Where Are The Program Files?

Post by Granny_Geek » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:22 am

In what folder do I find the Program files? I need to copy & paste a plugin from Firefox to Flock but can't seem to find a Folder with the Program files. Please help. Thanks, Granny :)

lumi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Where Are The Program Files?

Post by lumi » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:21 am

It should be /etc - or at least mine are there :) I'm a newbie too!

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:02 am

Perhaps in /home under .mozilla/firefox

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:02 pm

The file you want may be hidden. Go to your Home folder and click "View". Select "Show Hidden Files" in the drop down menu and see if the file appears in the listing area.
Registered Linux User 483387

Granny_Geek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Granny_Geek » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks to all for the replies, I will tinker around using some of the info & see what happens :)

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:06 pm

Granny_Geek,

The program binary itself is in /usr. The global config files are in /etc. and the individual user profile, bookmarks, etc. are in a hidden file in your /home called ".mozilla."

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Linux generally, and Mint particularly, is NOT a free version of Windows. There are some concepts that it handles quite differently. File structures is one of them. The 'Program Files' folder concept is one thing that is very different. There is plenty of stuff in Google about 'Linux File/Directory Structures' to educate. I only mention this because your question comes across as being from someone who has recently made the transition and is still looking for "Windows" type solutions.

For your specific question one solution is to try:

Open a command line terminal and type in (or copy/paste):

$ cp -r /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /$HOME/flock/

log out & log back in
open Flock and it should see your plugins.

Cheers,
Rhodry.

chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:11 am

Something I learned recently which can be quite handy is the command line command: whereis

Every now and again I will know the filename of what I am looking for, but won't know where it is. Open a terminal, type whereis firefox and hit enter. :)

-Chow

Return to “Newbie Questions”