[Solved] Mint won't boot after installation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint won't boot after installation

Post by Aily »

[Solved]

I simply changed to Legacy in Bios and could partition normally during installation with just / and /home. I made no swap. Thank you everyone for the help! :D

Heya

I put my usb stick into my laptop and installed linux mint MATE 18.2, after I changed in BIOS to make my usb stick first choice to boot since I wasn't able to boot from the usb stick at all before I did.

Now I can't boot at all, unless I have my usb stick in and it starts the test version. When I look in BIOS I have no Hard Drive at all, but when I boot with the usb stick I can see the partitions with the installation (root and home - two different partitions).

Anyone ever encountered this before and know what I need to do?

Thank you.

Update: I have to correct myself. BIOS can see my hard drive, but it's not an option for bootable devices.
Last edited by Aily on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I know how to start my computer. (IEC 60417-5009)
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint won't boot after installation

Post by JoeFootball »

Aily wrote:When I look in BIOS I have no Hard Drive at all, but when I boot with the usb stick I can see the partitions with the installation
Can you give some clarity here? If BIOS isn't seeing a hard drive installed in the system, I wouldn't think the live session could see it either. How are you assessing that BIOS shows that there's no hard drive?

EDIT: Did you accidentally remove the hard drive from the boot order? If so, this would provide the behavior that you're experiencing.

Joe
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Please post the result of

Code: Select all

sudo parted --list
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

This is a case where we need a boot-info report to get all necessary information to help you out.
I'm going to copy Laurent85's instructions to generate such report with his excellent bisnext program :
- Boot a live usb, connect to internet.
- Open a terminal, download bisnext

wget https://github.com/laurent85v/bisnext/raw/master/bisnext --output-document bisnext
- Install the necessary tools :

apt install pastebinit smartmontools
- Generate the report :

sudo bash bisnext --pastebin
- See first line of the report and provide the link which reads :
bisnext report id xxxxx also available at ...
Edit: Ah austin.texas has been faster than me. Anyway the bisnext report will provide the information he asks, as well as other info which should be useful too.
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aily »

Update: I have to correct myself. BIOS can see my hard drive, but it's not an option for bootable devices.

When I reinstalled it clean without partitions, there was no problems at all. It started as it should. Then I tried again to do partitions and it won't boot.
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aily »

austin.texas wrote:Please post the result of

sudo parted --list
I have to correct myself. BIOS can see my hard drive, but it's not an option for bootable devices.

When I reinstalled it clean without partitions, there was no problems at all. It started as it should. Then I tried again to do partitions and it won't boot.

mint@mint ~ $ sudo parted --list
Model: ATA SAMSUNG MZYTY128 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 128GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  20.0GB  20.0GB  ext4
 2      20.0GB  128GB   108GB   ext4

Warning: The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but
Linux says it is 512 bytes.
Ignore/Cancel?
Maybe my hard drive or laptp can't handle partitions...
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aily »

I have to correct myself. BIOS can see my hard drive, but it's not an option for bootable devices.

fabien85 wrote:This is a case where we need a boot-info report to get all necessary information to help you out.
I'm going to copy Laurent85's instructions to generate such report with his excellent bisnext program :
- Boot a live usb, connect to internet.
- Open a terminal, download bisnext

wget https://github.com/laurent85v/bisnext/raw/master/bisnext --output-document bisnext
- Install the necessary tools :

apt install pastebinit smartmontools
- Generate the report :

sudo bash bisnext --pastebin
- See first line of the report and provide the link which reads :
bisnext report id xxxxx also available at ...
Edit: Ah austin.texas has been faster than me. Anyway the bisnext report will provide the information he asks, as well as other info which should be useful too.

Jul 25 2017, bisnext report id e53d3 also available at https://paste.debian.net/978096/
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Aily wrote:When I reinstalled it clean without partitions, there was no problems at all. It started as it should. Then I tried again to do partitions and it won't boot.
That is because you are installing in Legacy mode to a GPT partitioned hard drive.
As it happens, I wrote a tutorial on how to do that. :arrow: TUTORIAL
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aily »

austin.texas wrote:
Aily wrote:When I reinstalled it clean without partitions, there was no problems at all. It started as it should. Then I tried again to do partitions and it won't boot.
That is because you are installing in Legacy mode to a GPT partitioned hard drive.
As it happens, I wrote a tutorial on how to do that. :arrow: TUTORIAL
Thank you.
When the installation finished I got "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/" so it won't be able to boot anyway. Any ideas?

I'm ok with going without partitions, but it's so nice to have them. :)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Aily wrote: When the installation finished I got "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/" so it won't be able to boot anyway. Any ideas?
You have to understand the difference between installing in Legacy mode and installing in UEFI mode. There are 2 ways to boot your installation Mint USB, and that is controlled by your BIOS. If you have it set to boot in UEFI mode, and you try to use the tutorial (installing in Legacy mode), it will fail as you have seen.
The trick is to get your BIOS to boot the Mint USB in Legacy/CSM mode to use that tutorial. Your BIOS probably has a "Boot Menu" which allows you to switch from UEFI to Legacy/CSM to boot the USB.
You can, on the other hand, install in UEFI mode. You would just tell the Mint installer to "Use Entire Disk".
Linux Linx 2018
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ Aily

For some guidance, please refer to .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (dual-booting UEFI computers)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note step 18)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning)

Ensure that Secure Boot, Fast Boot, CSM and Fast Startup in Win 10/8.1 are disabled and the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= ESP = fat32/about 104MB) which is usually dev/sda1, or if unsuccessful select the whole disk, ie /sda.
If single-booting Linux and using the "Something else" install method, you need to have or create an EFI Boot Partition = Linux Boot Manager = fat32/550MB = mount point is boot/efi, which will act like the Windows ESP. People may opt to retain the Windows ESP when installing Linux over Win 10 = no need to create another EFI Boot Partition.
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aily »

austin.texas wrote:
Aily wrote: When the installation finished I got "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/" so it won't be able to boot anyway. Any ideas?
You have to understand the difference between installing in Legacy mode and installing in UEFI mode. There are 2 ways to boot your installation Mint USB, and that is controlled by your BIOS. If you have it set to boot in UEFI mode, and you try to use the tutorial (installing in Legacy mode), it will fail as you have seen.
The trick is to get your BIOS to boot the Mint USB in Legacy/CSM mode to use that tutorial. Your BIOS probably has a "Boot Menu" which allows you to switch from UEFI to Legacy/CSM to boot the USB.
You can, on the other hand, install in UEFI mode. You would just tell the Mint installer to "Use Entire Disk".
Thank you. All of a sudden it made sense. Explains why using the entire disk worked so well. :roll:
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aily »

michael louwe wrote:@ Aily

For some guidance, please refer to .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (dual-booting UEFI computers)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note step 18)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning)

Ensure that Secure Boot, Fast Boot, CSM and Fast Startup in Win 10/8.1 are disabled and the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= ESP = fat32/about 104MB) which is usually dev/sda1, or if unsuccessful select the whole disk, ie /sda.

If single-booting Linux and using the "Something else" install method, you need to have or create an EFI Boot Partition = Linux Boot Manager = fat32/550MB = mount point is boot/efi, which will act like the Windows ESP. People may opt to retain the Windows ESP when installing Linux over Win 10 = no need to create another EFI Boot Partition.
Thank you. I don't know what to do with most of those links, but I suppose they're for if I had windows.
I just want to replace cinnamon, which I tried, with MATE that I'm comfortable with on my pc. :mrgreen:

I'll try and create an efi boot partition. If it doesn't work I'll just look for legacy in bios or use the entire disk.
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Mint won't boot after installation

Post by Aily »

[Solved]

I simply changed to Legacy in Bios and could partition normally during installation with just / and /home. I made no swap. Thank you everyone for the help! :D
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [Solved] Mint won't boot after installation

Post by michael louwe »

@ Aily

Just in case you may prefer UEFI/GPT mode in the future, eg can have more than 4 primary partitions and use hard-drives larger than 2TB, ...
if there was a problem with the EFI Boot Partition created with the LM Installer, this means it has to be pre-created with GParted, ie there may be a need to insert the boot/efi flag for the partition. Then only proceed with the "Something else" install method. Also, have to ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EBP.

No swap means cannot Hibernate or Suspend-to-Disk. If got more than 3.99GB of RAM, there should be no problem because virtual swap memory is to supplement insufficient RAM, especially when doing resource intensive operations, eg video-editing and opening more than 5 tabs in the browser.

Return to “Newbie Questions”