Change default file icons

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jedavis1975
Level 1
Level 1

Change default file icons

Post by Jedavis1975 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:20 am

I have Mint 18.2, I want to change the icon for deb files to something like what 17.3 had. Currently it is a compressed file icon, and I just don't like it and would rather have something different.
In both instances I had MATE as my desktop.

pemartins
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Change default file icons

Post by pemartins » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 pm

You can change the icon set, go to Menu > Control Center > Appearance > Customize button > Icons tab and choose another icon set. You can install more icon sets than the ones available, i.e. faenza:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt install faenza-icon-theme
Here you have a bunch of options: https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/132/ord/latest/

Jedavis1975
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jedavis1975 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:13 pm

Ok then,
I did browse through the preinstalled, looks like everyone has the same icon for deb and compressed files. While they may differ from each other.

I will see what the site you mentioned has to offer, I really don't want something to drastically different. I may just have to get used to to those files having the same icons.

If anyone that designed the theme for Mint reads these, please explain why it was changed.

colormar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colormar » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:39 pm

You can download any set of icons and place|copy it to /usr/shares/icons/.
Or make a copy of any set of icons in /usr/shares/icons/, modifie it, change its name
(folder name and the name and comment in the index.theme file, inside the folder),
then place|copy the modified set of icons to /usr/shares/icons/. Now go to Menu >
Settings > Appearance > Icons tab and choose that icon set.

Return to “Newbie Questions”