How do I get my settings to a Mint Live USB?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

How do I get my settings to a Mint Live USB?

Post by Glockdoc »

Thank you in advance!

When I travel back to the states I like to bring a live USB with me as I never know whose computer I will be using while I travel. I have searched, but am obviously asking the matrix the wrong question!

Can I save all my settings, changes, etc from my desktop system and install them on the usb? It is kind of a pain to go back in and change everything, but that is what I did last trip. I still have that live stick, but would like to make a new one since I am now using Sonya. I have been unsuccessful getting any back ups to work. From my reading they are not really needed anyway.

I popped my Linux cherry with a live usb and have made several. Can I use the ISO off my desktop( and where is it?)?

it would be nice to boot up from the live stick and have all of the same system settings I am used to.

JC
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How do I get my settings to a Mint Live USB?

Post by kc1di »

Hello Glockdoc and welcome to LinuxMint,

You have to make the usb stick persistent and it will have to be large enough to hold the extra data.
This tutorial will show you how. It's based on Ubuntu , but should work ok for Mint as well https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/c ... ash-drive/
Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can make a USB flash drive with persistence, as kc1di said, but flash drives are not as reliable for repeated writes as hard drives. The ideal solution would be a USB hard drive, something like this: where you could make a full installation.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Glockdoc",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are many posts in this forum on this topic.

There are basically 2 ways to install Linux Mint to a USB flash drive stick or USB hard drive where settings and changes can be saved when restarting a computer:

1.) If the USB drive is 16gb or larger, then you can fully install Linux Mint onto it, very much like installing it to a hard drive where Linux Mint functions just like it does on your computer where all changes are saved, but you cannot install Linux Mint to another computer (or drive) from this setup.

2.) Create a USB version of Linux Mint with "Persistence" of the Live test drive installation version (.iso) which will allow you to save changes and do updates, etc... and you can install Linux Mint to other computers and drives from this setup.

[Tutorial] Create Live usb with persistence over 4GB
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=229086&hilit=multisystem

Tip: You can install "Aptik" in your current Linux Mint system, then run a backup of your currently installed applications, customizations, etc... Then install "Aptik" on your new installations (USB or otherwise), then run Aptik to restore your Linux Mint stuff, they have tutorials on their website. You must have the space to restore everything if you backed up your entire "home" folder...
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/aptik.html

Considerations:
You would want a reliable and fast USB flash drive or USB hard drive.
- The USB hard drive will be faster and probably last longer, is less expensive for per mb of space, but is larger than a USB flash drive stick would be. An external USB hard drive can be dual purposed, you can get a 1tb or larger drive, partition it for 100gb + for a bootable first partition with Linux Mint, then partition the rest for backups and storage.

- A good USB flash drive stick is smaller and will also work well, get one that is fast with a good warranty, this usually costs more per mb of space than an external USB hard drive but is super portable (pocket size) and convenient.

- There are still a lot of 32-bit computers in use, so if you want to make sure that your "portable" Linux Mint works with any computer you come across, then installing a 32-bit version of Linux Mint might be preferred.

*** Samsung 128GB BAR (METAL) USB 3.0 Flash Drive (MUF-128BA/AM)
Price: $40.99us & FREE Shipping.
High-quality metal casing for durability with key ring to prevent loss, NAND Flash Technology, Water proof, Shock proof, magnet proof, temp proof, and X-ray proof with a 5-year warranty, High-speed USB 3.0 flash drive for fast data transfer
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-ME ... 3J0SFSRBG8

** Patriot 128GB Supersonic Rage 2 Series USB 3.0 Flash Drive ($54us + 5 year warranty) with Up To 400MB/sec Read, 200MB/s Write
https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-128GB-Su ... VXFQ3EJ2QP

Patriot Supersonic Boost XT PEF128GSBUSB 128GB USB 3.0 Water Resistant Flash Drive ($48us + 5 year warranty)
- Up to 150MB/s Read
https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Superson ... lash+drive

Various External USB hard drives
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72 ... 1248877011

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Glockdoc »

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the answers, but the question was how to get my settings moved, not how to create the usb stick or portable hdd.

I will look into Aptik and see if I can make it work. For some reason the factory backup and one other back up have failed several times when I tried them.

I think I am going to need to move pretty quick. My motivation has been constant crashes w Mint 18.2. This morning my live usb and windows both locked up within minutes. I fear I may have a motherboard or hardrive issue.

Thank you again for the suggestions.

JC
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Code: Select all

sudo rsync -aXS /media/<user>/home/. /devx/path/home/.
Where /media/<user>/home/. is the source path and /devx/path/home/. is the destination home folder on your flash device.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Glockdoc »

Thank you Cat!

Unfortunately, I am too green to have gotten my syntax correct. I got the following error.

"glockdoc@glockdoc-ZX6961 ~ $ sudo rsync -aXS /media/glockdoc/home/ . /devx/media/glockdoc/LINUX MINT
[sudo] password for glockdoc:
rsync: change_dir "/media/glockdoc/home" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: change_dir "/devx/media/glockdoc" failed: No such file or directory (2)"

I am trying to add screen shots but is says the 271k file is too large. I uploaded it to my website. I know the screenshots will make it easier to see my mistake.
http://blackgunstuff.com/Screenshot.png

Can you see my mistake? Apologies, but the directory system for Linux still gives me fits. I have made progress, but have some distance to go.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

For starters you have a space before the period.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Glockdoc »

ok. Still getting the same error messages.

I obviously do not know the paths that I need to be typing as best I can tell. Thought I copied and pasted before but looks like I did not. What do I need to post for you guys to see what I need to be typing to get it right?

On a side note aptik was able to make a full back up so I have my settings if I end up doing a fresh install. Since the back up.....not a glitch or a hiccup or a freeze in my system. LOL

If I can get the command line to work I will have them on my live usb as well.

Thanks again for all the help.

JC
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Aptik is not a full back-up (nor does it claim to be). Before you do anything else, you should create one. I use Clonezilla Live, but there are other options.
Use one of them. Right now.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

phd21 wrote:There are basically 2 ways to install Linux Mint to a USB flash drive stick or USB hard drive where settings and changes can be saved when restarting a computer:
I was a little surprised you didn't mention Systemback, as you're the person from whom I learned about it on this here Forum. Does it not support Mint 18? Looked at the website and couldn't find an answer. If it does, though, seems like just the thing Glockdoc wants. (After s/he makes a full backup.)
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

pbear wrote:I was a little surprised you didn't mention Systemback, as you're the person from whom I learned about it on this here Forum. Does it not support Mint 18? Looked at the website and couldn't find an answer. If it does, though, seems like just the thing Glockdoc wants. (After s/he makes a full backup.)
Yes, there are two relatively simple ways, but there are other ways as well. After all this is Linux, so there are always other options.

Yes, "Systemback" supposedly can do this with a 4gb Limit, if I remember correctly.

"Aptik" should work well for this.

I use "Clonezilla Live" for making drive image backups all the time, it has never failed me, and which can be used to "clone" to USB sticks and USB drives, if they are large enough; this almost always requires repairing or creating a new Grub boot up process.

"Remastersys" or the new "Respin" can also do this...
http://www.remastersys.org/

The command "dd", and other commands, can also do this, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

phd21 wrote:Yes, "Systemback" supposedly can do this with a 4gb Limit, if I remember correctly.
I'd forgotten about the 4 GB limit. In fact, it's mentioned in the article I linked.
"Aptik" should work well for this.
I assume this requires a system installed to flash drive. Full install, not a live ISO. Then "restore" the old system to the new one. That right?
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "pbear",
pbear wrote: I assume this requires a system installed to flash drive. Full install, not a live ISO. Then "restore" the old system to the new one. That right?
Yes, with a fully installed version, and you could use a live installation on USB with "Persistence" with Aptik as well.

Hope this helps ...
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Glockdoc »

Well, my old computer has been giving my fits, which is what started my original question.

Finally bought a new system and set up my first microsoft free computer.

APTIK was a breeze. So far everything looks great on the new system. Works just like my previous system......without the boot up troubles and sudden shutdowns (windows and Mint both).

Thank you for all the input. Sometime before I head back to the states I will set up a new stick for travel.

JC
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

Glockdoc wrote:Thanks guys.

I appreciate the answers, but the question was how to get my settings moved, not how to create the usb stick or portable hdd...
The reason you got those answers was because the question in your subject line. You can't move/copy settings from an installed Mint to a Live USB.

As phd21 said, there are two options: A USB with persistence (limited storage) or a USB as a full install.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Return to “Newbie Questions”