[SOLVED] A Red "X" on UM icon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dalexunil

[SOLVED] A Red "X" on UM icon

Post by dalexunil »

I have been noticing that there is a red x on the update mangr icon in my system tray. When I hover over it with the mouse, it says "Could not refresh the list of updates". Could somebody enlighten this n00b-ly sojourner :wink:

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: A Red "X" on UM icon

Post by greerd »

It happens from time to time, probably one of the mirrors is off line or not sync'd. You can open Update Manager, click Refresh and an error window will open showing what couldn't site didn't update.

If it's one of the main repos, you can try selecting another mirror.

If it's a PPA or something in your Additional Repositories, you can open up Software Sources and un-check the culprit temporarily to eliminate the issue.

They usually sort them selves out in a day or two.
dalexunil

Post by dalexunil »

Thanks greerd for this tip, I'll try this and see if that does it.
dalexunil

Post by dalexunil »

So here's a couple screenshots from the process, how do I proceed? Thank you...
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

In Update Manager, click Edit > Software Sources and pick another mirror for both Main (sonya) and Base (xenial), then Update the cache and see if that helps. Sometimes the mirror looks good (has a fast speed) but still errors so pick ones that you aren't using now. I think it's Main (sonya) that's giving the problems.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I just tried advancedhosters.com and it worked for me, maybe they got things cleared up.
dalexunil

Post by dalexunil »

I switched to a couple other mirrors and it appears to be fine now. Thank you :mrgreen:
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You can also try this:

Open the Update Manager, click on Edit and then click on Software Sources. Enter your password and press Enter. Next click on Maintenance and then on "Fix MergeList problems". When that has finished, click on "Update the cache".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Benedetto
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] A Red "X" on UM icon

Post by Benedetto »

Well, this red cross affair arrived on my screen today (14th.). Was not too concerned about it as like many small issues they usually get resolved.
Thank you Greerd for the advice. It was soon sorted rectified. :wink:
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 21:2 Cinnamon 5.8.4 - Desktop
Linux Mint 21:2 - VAIO Laptop
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] A Red "X" on UM icon

Post by bob466 »

greerd,

Had the same problem...the scary red X but your fix worked for me...thanks.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
After8Minty

Post by After8Minty »

kyphi wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:22 pm You can also try this:

Open the Update Manager, click on Edit and then click on Software Sources. Enter your password and press Enter. Next click on Maintenance and then on "Fix MergeList problems". When that has finished, click on "Update the cache".
I tried your suggestion but then this popped up!

Return to “Beginner Questions”