Desktop Icon Arrangement

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greyowl

Desktop Icon Arrangement

Post by greyowl »

I have the Xfce desktop on Mint 18.2.
When I arrange my Icons on my desktop, they do not stay in these locations after I reboot the computer.
How do I get them to remain in the place where I put them?
Also, is it possible to have two lines of the title for each icon rather than just one so you can see better what the item is without clicking on it?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Desktop Icon Arrangement

Post by catweazel »

I can't reproduce your problem on a clean 18.2 Xfce install. The icons stay where I put them and the names automatically flow over two lines if they're long.

Have you changed the default window manager from "Xfwm4+Compositing"?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

catweazel wrote:I can't reproduce your problem on a clean 18.2 Xfce install. The icons stay where I put them and the names automatically flow over two lines if they're long.

Have you changed the default window manager from "Xfwm4+Compositing"?
I have not changed the default. It is still set as "Xfwm4+Compositing"?
Do you have any idea why mine is functioning differently?
Last edited by greyowl on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Menu > Settings > Desktop Settings
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

catweazel wrote:Menu > Settings > Desktop Settings
It is set for "Xfwm4+Compositing".
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

I figured out why I only have one line of type under each icon on my desktop. I had reduced the size of the desktop icon to 26. Any size smaller that 40 yields only one line of type.

I still have not been able to figure out why the icons do not stay put when I do a restart.
I would appreciate some help on this if someone has some ideas.

Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”