Transfering photos btw. Huawei and Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dose

Transfering photos btw. Huawei and Linux Mint

Post by Dose »

Hey,

I want to update my phone, and before doing that, I want to have a backup of my photos, etc.
I do not seem to be able to figure out how to connect my phone to Linux Mint. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Transfering photos btw. Huawei and Linux Mint

Post by Flemur »

What kinda linux, what kinda phone and what have you tried, if anything?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

My Xubuntu 16.04 automatically finds the Huawei Ascend Y530 phone that I have when I connect with a USB cable, the power cable that came with the phone.

Previous versions of *ubuntu needed a bit of fiddling with mtp system files to get it to work but it was very easy one you knew what was needed.
See https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2226702
It is quite long but it did work for me so may help you as well, but try just a simple USB connection before you try all of that.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Dose wrote:Hey,

I want to update my phone, and before doing that, I want to have a backup of my photos, etc.
I do not seem to be able to figure out how to connect my phone to Linux Mint. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks! :)

It depends on what kind of phone and which Linux Mint.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

ajgreeny wrote:My Xubuntu 16.04 automatically finds the Huawei Ascend Y530 phone that I have when I connect with a USB cable, the power cable that came with the phone.

Previous versions of *ubuntu needed a bit of fiddling with mtp system files to get it to work but it was very easy one you knew what was needed.
It is quite long but it did work for me so may help you as well, but try just a simple USB connection before you try all of that.
Hi ajgreeny
My Huawei Nexus 6P always defaults to charge only when I plug it into the laptop and I have to switch it over for file access and at one point I am sure I had to have USB debugging enabled in developer options on the phone to access using Linux Mint and/or Ubuntu
Dose

Post by Dose »

Thanks. I followed the guide, and I now have two (similar) devices show up when I plug in my phone, but I get the following message when I try to access them: No MTP devices found.
Dose

Post by Dose »

It depends on what kind of phone and which Linux Mint.
My phone is a Huawei P9 (Emui 4.0.1, Android-version 6.0), and my computer runs Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela.
Dose

Post by Dose »

Flemur wrote:What kinda linux, what kinda phone and what have you tried, if anything?
My phone is a Huawei P9 (Emui 4.0.1, Android-version 6.0), and my computer runs Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela. Other than plugging in the device, and following this link https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2226702 (as suggested in this thread), I have not tried anything, as I wouldn't know what to do - at all! I am only using Linux because I like that it is open-source; I have no know-how whatsoever :-D
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hi Dose,

I've found that the simplest way to copy pictures etc from my phone is by using Bluetooth. Mint has a program aboard that's called bluetooth applet. On my system it's standard and BT-symbol shows up in the system tray.

- make sure BT on both computer and phone are set to "visible to all BT devices"
- pair
- on phone use file manager to navigate to dir with pics, select all and then touch BT symbol

Files will show up on computer in "Public" folder.
When sent from computer to phone, files will be in "bluetooth" folder

This certainly is inferior to a good and working USB-conection, but for me USB turned out to be a minefield.
Hope this helps,
Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
Dose

Post by Dose »

TI58C wrote:Hi Dose,

I've found that the simplest way to copy pictures etc from my phone is by using Bluetooth. Mint has a program aboard that's called bluetooth applet. On my system it's standard and BT-symbol shows up in the system tray.

- make sure BT on both computer and phone are set to "visible to all BT devices"
- pair
- on phone use file manager to navigate to dir with pics, select all and then touch BT symbol

Files will show up on computer in "Public" folder.
When sent from computer to phone, files will be in "bluetooth" folder

This certainly is inferior to a good and working USB-conection, but for me USB turned out to be a minefield.
Hope this helps,
Robert
Thanks, Robert! I just found out (5 minutes before reading your reply) that bluetooth is now working - it didn't before. So the guide further up in this thread must have done something good, even though I still can't transfer via USB. You guys have been great, thank you so much :-)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Dose wrote:
Flemur wrote:What kinda linux, what kinda phone and what have you tried, if anything?
My phone is a Huawei P9 (Emui 4.0.1, Android-version 6.0), and my computer runs Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela. Other than plugging in the device, and following this link https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2226702 (as suggested in this thread), I have not tried anything, as I wouldn't know what to do - at all! I am only using Linux because I like that it is open-source; I have no know-how whatsoever :-D
Since you are using LM 17.2 I think the steps in the ubuntuforums thread are necessary to be able to use USB with the phone
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

My phone is some obscure French brand, probably a chinese "knockoff" with French "rebranding". Cost just 79 EU, so no complaints.

It's just about a year ago I tried USB-connection, Remember that I had so buy some "special" micro-USB to USB cable to connect to phone 2 way. Do not know what it's called, but "any" mico-usb to usb would not do.

But no matter what I tried, no luck..ADB, MTP, OBEX, whatever. Nothing...

But simple file transfer with BT worked every time. On different systems. Reliable although slow.

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
k-314

Post by k-314 »

On KDE I used kdeconnect, now on Xfce I am using AirDroid ......

br

Return to “Beginner Questions”