shutdown: gnome-keyring-daemon still running

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Teksonik

Re: shutdown: gnome-keyring-daemon still running

Post by Teksonik »

Same problem here with the gnome-keyring-daemon not closing on shut down. Seems like a fairly common issue. It only happens periodically here but on two different systems.

18.3 64 bit Cinnamon
Yontrop1

Post by Yontrop1 »

I had the same problem (I''m running Mint 18,2 with Cinnamon). I followed the below advice but then also made sure I ran all the updates suggested. After doing this the error message does not come up. It's been about a week now, and still no problem. I'm new to Linux and started using it because I don't like Win 10 making the updates without asking me, Now I'll have to get used to remembering to check this, but I can live with that.

jeaserve wrote:I am not an experience user of the Linux world, however I think I figured out why this annoying issue is presented. When you upgrade to a newer version of Mint and you have more than one user, you need to log in all of the accounts at least once.
On the reminder on the far fight of the screen, you are notified if you want to install any updates.
When you first log in, the update link requires the you answer if you want to just keep my computer safe, you want to view the offered changes or just update.
This process has to be answered by all of the users you have created.
Just log out and log in to the other user and select the update icon and answer how to apply the updates.
All should be okay...Rafael (at least it works for me)
The "reminder on the far fight of the screen" is the little shield in the group of icons in the bottom right corner of the screen.
pvbrandes

Post by pvbrandes »

LM 18.3 Cinnamon: Started getting “gnome-keyring-daemon not responding” error at shutdown after installing Chromium and turning off the “Let Chromium run in the background” option. Right click the system tray icon to change the option, or find in settings-advanced-system. Tried other solutions I found posted in this forum, but nothing worked. Saw one post about gnome-keyring and Chromium, which got me thinking. PC shuts down immediately now. Hope this helps.

Update: This only worked once, and then the error came back. Uninstalled LM and went with Ubuntu-Gnome 16.04.3 LTS version. Working fine and no more errors.
Last edited by pvbrandes on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schm0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by schm0 »

I've had this problem as well, simply logging in to all the accounts on the system and logging out solved the problem.
Rhinox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rhinox »

I tried everything, but the problem persists. Finally I switched to Mint/Xfce, and everything works as expected (no more "gnome-keyring-daemon still running" annoying messages)...
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

schmO said it right. Simply log in and out with every user. And also press the update manager button in every user you create. That solved the problem for me too. Really irritating to see that gnome keyring message but it can be gotten rid off.
Rhinox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rhinox »

I tried log-in/log-out with all users, and it worked. Well, kind of. After next restart, it was back again "gnome-keyring-daemon running..."

Log in/out with all users every time I want just shutdown is not solution. This is simply stupid bug, and should be fixed...
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

FWIW, MATE doesn't have this problem either.
MenthaSuaveolens
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MenthaSuaveolens »

I encounter the same problem.
Faust

Post by Faust »

schm0 wrote:I've had this problem as well, simply logging in to all the accounts on the system and logging out solved the problem.
Same here , with 18.3 Cinnamon

Settings => Login Window => Users
I tried toggling all the default settings the other way , and then back again ..... BAD mistake !
Guest login was the only available option after that , and I can see what trouble people have had sorting that one out -

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261853&p=1416354&h ... r#p1416354
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=261704&p=1414741&h ... r#p1414741

And another thing ..... is anyone seeing the "reverse scrolling " option set to ON by default ?
What's that all about ?
mesoderm

Post by mesoderm »

I have Linux Mint 18.3 running on two laptops and both do this. The only way to stop it, I've found, is to open a new terminal and enter:

gnome-keyring-daemon -r -d

It's a pain to remember to do this before shutting down, but it does work.
bobs

Post by bobs »

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 and had the same issue until I switched from the NVIDIA device driver to the open source driver. That cleared up the issue for me.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

I have this problem on a fresh install under VMware using Mint x64 Cinnamon. On the other laptop which has the same version, but not in a VM, I have no issues and never seen the problem. I've tried every suggestion with no luck. Hope it's fixed son.

UPDATE: [SOLVED]
When I was installing Mint, it asked if I wanted to log in automatically which I selected yes. I believe this is the issue, because I changed to where I have to log in and the issue has gone away. This is the prompt window:

https://www.tecmint.com/wp-content/uplo ... ccount.png
Last edited by Executioner on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

Same problem here with LM 18.3 and Cinnamon. I think it's related with Cinnamon, as Ubuntu+Cinnamon gave me the same problem (I've dual boot for LM and Ubuntu). However, when starting Ubuntu+MATE/Gnome/Xfce, no problem at all.
What is the meaning of "gnome-keyring-daemon -r -d"? I would like to know what this command does.
Thanks
oralover2006

Post by oralover2006 »

I am facing this on LM 18.3 Cinnamon, read various replies and it concluded that not a particular solution for this problem, mix solutions here ... means i have to hit & try till it solved.
regards
polish sausage

Post by polish sausage »

mint 18.3 cinnamon 64-bit:
google chrome browser (64-bit)- menu- settings- advanced- system- untick the box next to “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed”
close browser and all apps
then restart system
it helps me :)
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Logging in and out with all users AND simultaneously check for updates with each user and restart. This has helped many others including myself.

I have installed and re installed various LinuxMint versions and sometimes I do encounter it again, but the very first advice keeps working for me:

Log in and out with all users AND simultaneously check for updates with each user. And then RESTART with each user.

Also when you have just 1 user you will get this gnome keyring message sometimes. But the same advice helps to erase it: check updates and RESTART. The second time around the message must have disappeared. Good luck.
Findbhair

Post by Findbhair »

Disable the keyring daemon
If you want to deactivate the gnome-keyring-daemon so that it does not start automatically with every system start, you have to remove the following two lines from the file /etc/pam.d/gdm or /etc/pam.d/mdm respectively /etc/pam.d/lightdm

Code: Select all

auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
Last edited by Findbhair on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kernel: 4.13.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

This file does not exist for me
/etc/pam.d/gdm

I did what you said for the other one, will wait and see if that keyring daemin comes up again, very aggravating.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Findbhair

Post by Findbhair »

if gdm file not exist, then find the /lightdm or /mdm file (it is either or)
take a look here -> http://i.prntscr.com/BnJZfck1QNiMq_hzjp1rxA.png

Return to “Beginner Questions”