shutdown: gnome-keyring-daemon still running

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: shutdown: gnome-keyring-daemon still running

Post by AZgl1800 »

Findbhair wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:05 am if gdm file not exist, then find the /lightdm or /mdm file (it is either or)
take a look here -> http://i.prntscr.com/BnJZfck1QNiMq_hzjp1rxA.png
/lightdm file was there and I applied the change suggested.

I will save the last hint in my notes IF the keyring pops up again.
so far, doing well, if I never see it again, I will be happy.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Mike_Ham
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike_Ham »

This just started happening yesterday after the system had been OK for 3 days after installation. What I want to know is what the definitive solution to this issue is - after reading through the thread I can't really understand which is the correct solution, especially after people say this or that didn't work. I don't want to muck up the system.

I haven't done much of anything complex with the OS other than become familiar with it and install the updates and a package called BOINC for distributed computing so I can run Seti@home. Is it a developer issue that will be corrected in a coming release? What exactly is gnome-keyring-daemon and why would it be in this state? :?

But again - what is the definitive solution at this time?

Thanks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A definitive solution can only get provided by the developers. Until this happens (for Mint 18.x most likely never) we can offer only a workaround.
Mike_Ham
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike_Ham »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:18 pm A definitive solution can only get provided by the developers. Until this happens (for Mint 18.x most likely never) we can offer only a workaround.
OK.

I've been trying other Linux distros for the past few days and I still like this one best. I reinstalled it this evening and if the issue crops up again I guess I'll just deal with it.

Thanks.
Sinnis250
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sinnis250 »

I don't know if this is the definitive solution but, this worked for me running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit.

The message came up after installing a 4.13 kernel, so I installed 4.4.0116 (same thing happened again) but a further update of 4.4.0-122 came up in the manager.

I simply updated the kernel from 4.4.0-116 to a fresh kernel 4.4.0-122 and removed the 4.13 kernel completely.

So far, after several shutdowns and reboots, there has been no re-occurrence of the nag "gnome-keyring-daemon still running".

Seems good to go now.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Sinnis250 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 am I don't know if this is the definitive solution but, this worked for me running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit.

The message came up after installing a 4.13 kernel, so I installed 4.4.0116 (same thing happened again) but a further update of 4.4.0-122 came up in the manager.

I simply updated the kernel from 4.4.0-116 to a fresh kernel 4.4.0-122 and removed the 4.13 kernel completely.

So far, after several shutdowns and reboots, there has been no re-occurrence of the nag "gnome-keyring-daemon still running".

Seems good to go now.
I have a question concerning this very post:

Recently the 4.4.x kernel came up as a suggested upgrade to my 4.13.0.39 system.
The idea of jumping "ship" to a different kernel series kind of shocked me, so I rejected it.

Is this a "suggested" upgrade that I should consider?
I thought the 4.13 series of kernels were LTS

As a "General Practice" I have been rejecting all upgrades for Developers.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:17 pm I thought the 4.13 series of kernels were LTS
No. In August support will end and you have to switch to another kernel.

Besides that: What you show is not a kernel, but a kind of library. You will not find any 4.4 kernel after this update. (IIRC you use TimeShift, so you can do it without risk).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:21 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:17 pm I thought the 4.13 series of kernels were LTS
No. In August support will end and you have to switch to another kernel.

Besides that: What you show is not a kernel, but a kind of library. You will not find any 4.4 kernel after this update. (IIRC you use TimeShift, so you can do it without risk).
I will just stay with my Daily Driver, don't want to mess it up.
TimeShift is a mainstay for me, for every change that is made.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Nothing gets messed up. I have this update already since a week. Note, that the update includes security fixes.
jakebob

Post by jakebob »

I reviewed some of trouble-shooting suggestions in this and other forums but nothing I read/tried provided a resolution.

What I DID do is remove "gnome-keyring 3.18.3-Oubuntu2" from the Synaptic Package Manager. I'm not sure how this will affect other aspects of the system, but after a handful of shutdowns and restarts, the message during shutdown, "a program is still running... gnome-keyring-daemon not responding," has not returned.

If anyone else attempts this solution, please reply with results. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I uninstalled gnome-keyring(-daemon) ages ago. No apparent change in anything, though you might actually be using for something.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
venommin

Post by venommin »

:) this is because of your chrome browser ,nothing to do just uninstall chrome once and force shutdown after that tern it on and try to restart and this time it will not ask for that , and if you want to install chrome again then you have to clean browser data and history . :D
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Flemur wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:14 am I uninstalled gnome-keyring(-daemon) ages ago. No apparent change in anything, though you might actually be using for something.
thanks for that little tidbit, that damn thing irritates me to no end............
it is long gone now, I had to install Chrome browser yesterday, just so I could talk a forum user thru how to get rid of his old passwords............
and that crappy POS daemon came up and asked me for my root password :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 amthanks for that little tidbit, that damn thing irritates me to no end............
Here's a better gnome keyring:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/263797277/ ... -gardening
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

Yep. Me, too. Running Mint 18.3.
tyebillion

Post by tyebillion »

I'm getting this almost all of the time when shutting down Linux Mint 18.3. Note I've got a NVIDIA card and I'm using the proprietary driver.

Return to “Beginner Questions”