Best GUI for viewing & editing .sql table contents?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Best GUI for viewing & editing .sql table contents?

Post by linx255 »

Hello,

I'm having the hardest time figuring out how to do the simplest of database tasks: view and edit the table contents graphically.

Back in the days of M$ Access I simply clicked on the table and instantly saw the columns and rows and could edit away. What's the best way to do this with .sql databases? I've spent the last week scouring forums and asking friends to no avail. No one even seems to be talking about it. Of course, I could learn to build a form, but I want to use something that's already built and meant for general data entry.

I saw some mysql workbench tutorials that gave instructions on this but they didn't work for me-- it was like they were using a different program because they had different panels and double-clicking the tables only allowed me to edit the table design, not contents. I tried installing phpmyadmin but couldn't get it to work either.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a program that provides M$ Access-like data entry / viewing / editing functionality. And what is such a program called? Data entry interface? I don't even know what to search for on google / youtube / software manager. This feels like the twilight zone because I thought such functionality would be built-in to every database development tool out there and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thank you very much

I'm using Mint 18 Mate 64
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Best GUI for viewing & editing .sql table contents?

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can use phpmyadmin for mysql database.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hi linx255,

Worked a lot with relational databases in the 1990's (dbase, Clipper and MS Access). No experience with mysql. But a simpe search on "GUI mysql" led me here: http://www.databasejournal.com/features ... tools.html

maybe there you'll find what you are looking for ?

or maybe here: https://www.eurovps.com/blog/best-mysql ... ls-roundup ?

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Just to clarify, I mean I only want to use applications in the Mint repository. I'll probably be troubleshooting phpmyadmin in my next post. It seems to be the only one in the repository I haven't tried but as I said I couldn't get it to even run; I just get errors. MySQL Workbench doesn't seem to allow editing of row data, then again, maybe I'm doing it wrong. ( Trust me, I've checked google and tutorials and I couldn't get to the window they were at, or couldn't understand what they were trying to explain. I never had so much trouble! :x :) )
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Would Libreoffice Base work? I haven't used it yet myself but it's part of your Mint install.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Base doesn't seem to open sql databases. I wish!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

linx255 wrote:What's the best way to do this with .sql databases?
Can you give some clarity on what application is creating databases with .sql file extensions?

Joe
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Sorry, I'm new to mysql and now I don't even know for sure what extension I'm supposed to have.

Originally I created a database via mysql workbench which created .mwb.

Then someone told me he uses .sql, which I noticed workbench doesn't seem to recognize and just as you replied I realized I misundestood what he was talking about but I hadn't researched the file formats yet.

It seems the way mysql is structured, the database is separate from .sql files, which are just commands to access or modify the database. ( I had no idea, this is all new to me, sorry! )

What format should I be using?

I want whatever format is compatible with the best tools available in Mint that hold up to industry standards.

I will recreate the work I've done so far in this format if need be.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "linx255",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

What is your goal, to learn database programming in Linux for personal and or business commercial use, or something else?

1.) If you are interested in using MySQL or MariaDB, have you installed "Lamp"?

for Linux Mint 17.x - How To Install Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (LAMP) stack on Ubuntu 14.04
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-14-04

for Linux Mint 18.x - How To Install Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (LAMP) stack on Ubuntu 16.04
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04

2.) If I am not mistaken, "sqlite" or "sqlite3" is usually already installed in Linux Mint, and there is "sqlman" and other GUI apps for that.

3.) LibreOffice and LibreOffice Base (database app) can access MySQL and other SQL databases including MS Access. "Calligra Kexi" is another really nice database application and can easily access MS Access databases too.

search results for "linux creating desktop application to mysql"
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... JcigIZpB_k

search results for "linux python access to mysql", "Python" is a software development environment.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... SQ5tD_Zu1Q

search results for "linux QT access mysql", "QT" is a software development environment.
https://www.google.com/search?q=linux+Q ... ZTV9CGLSHE

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Re: LAMP

Ok, wasn't sure if I want the standard presets; I usually cherry pick components individually.
I've got mariadb instead of mysql.
Haven't decided what kind of server I want yet, whether apache or some alternative.
If I do web site stuff down the road I know I'll want PHP, but I don't know if I should edit databases with phpmyadmin or mysql workbench, which seem to be among the top tools in the Mint repo, though I've been having errors / issues with both; I prefer that which scales the greatest and smoothest and is hopefully user-friendliest.
Not sure if I'll be using Python or QT just yet.

I have to research what file formats I want / need to work with for both the SQL code back end and the interface / front end sides. I want to know what's cross-compatible and what's not, and what my file extension my SQL code should be saved as vs. what file extension my databases should be saved as. TBH I'm not sure I know what exactly to search for; my results don't answer my questions yet so the search continues...

I'll play around with Base. Not sure if that is the best way for me to make or edit databases for SQL, even if it does open it. My current .mwb format doesn't seem very cross-compatible with anything.

Return to “Beginner Questions”