AMDdriver Kept Back !!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hamza0allaham

AMDdriver Kept Back !!!

Post by hamza0allaham »

Hello everyone...

When I pressed

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade
:

The following packages have been kept back:
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 3 not to upgrade.
how i can update it ?
(i have AMD APU e2-1800 with radeon hd)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wullewu

Re: AMDdriver Kept Back !!!

Post by wullewu »

what gpu do you have?
I had a Problem with an old gpu amd hd5000 series. The proprietary driver i wanted to install didn´t support the newest version of xserver because the driver is too old :-). It may be that apt knows that the driver you installed doesn´t support a newer version of xserver.
hamza0allaham

Post by hamza0allaham »

wullewu wrote:what gpu do you have?
I had a Problem with an old gpu amd hd5000 series. The proprietary driver i wanted to install didn´t support the newest version of xserver because the driver is too old :-). It may be that apt knows that the driver you installed doesn´t support a newer version of xserver.
my APU e2-1800 with an integrated graphics card from the Radeon HD 7340 series
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Run the command as follows:

sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
This will simulate the upgrade. Check if it wants to remove a package.

this type of stuff happens with Mint due it's staged update policy. It has nothing to do with your GPU.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

In Linux Mint you should never run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. You'll end up with a sort of hybrid mint/ubuntu system that isn't as stable as it was before. The only CLI apt command I'd use in Mint is sudo apt-get update.

The Mint Update program is one of the best reasons to use Mint. It's designed to keep noobs out of trouble by preventing updates that can break things. Leave it on the safe setting.

You won't get any proprietary drivers listed in driver manager in mint 18 if you have an AMD video card. For good reason. AMD dropped support for it in newer releases because they're redoing their entire graphics stack. If you dl the AMD closed binary driver in 18 and install it you WILL break the video.

If you have AMD video that's at least the 5xxx series you'd usually be better off with 17.3, in which you can install the closed driver (fglrx). That may not be true for really new AMD cards because I'm not sure how well fglrx supports them ... I'm probably not upgrading until 17.3 goes EOL.

And I see no one has mentioned which Mint release they're running, which I'm afraid makes much of this discussion less than useful.

To generate some proper system info copy/paste this into the terminal and copy/paste the text output here ...

inxi -Fxz
... to see which driver is appropriate.

BTW, xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon are not drivers.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
hamza0allaham

Post by hamza0allaham »

Hoser Rob wrote:In Linux Mint you should never run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. You'll end up with a sort of hybrid mint/ubuntu system that isn't as stable as it was before. The only CLI apt command I'd use in Mint is sudo apt-get update.

The Mint Update program is one of the best reasons to use Mint. It's designed to keep noobs out of trouble by preventing updates that can break things. Leave it on the safe setting.

You won't get any proprietary drivers listed in driver manager in mint 18 if you have an AMD video card. For good reason. AMD dropped support for it in newer releases because they're redoing their entire graphics stack. If you dl the AMD closed binary driver in 18 and install it you WILL break the video.

If you have AMD video that's at least the 5xxx series you'd usually be better off with 17.3, in which you can install the closed driver (fglrx). That may not be true for really new AMD cards because I'm not sure how well fglrx supports them ... I'm probably not upgrading until 17.3 goes EOL.

And I see no one has mentioned which Mint release they're running, which I'm afraid makes much of this discussion less than useful.

To generate some proper system info copy/paste this into the terminal and copy/paste the text output here ...

inxi -Fxz
... to see which driver is appropriate.

BTW, xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon are not drivers.
What is the Linux distribution that supports this hardware?

System: Host: hamza-K53U Kernel: 4.10.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.7 (Qt 5.6.1) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K53U v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: 223 date: 04/10/2012
CPU: Dual core AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 6785
clock speeds: max: 1700 MHz 1: 1360 MHz 2: 1360 MHz

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 7340] bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.01hz
GLX Renderer: AMD PALM (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.0-32-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.0-devel - padoka PPA Direct Rendering: Yes

Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-32-generic

Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>

Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (43.1% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD0 size: 500.1GB

Partition: ID-1: / size: 46G used: 12G (28%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 106G used: 11G (11%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
ID-3: swap-1 size: 12.98GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda8

RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 58.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A

Info: Processes: 189 Uptime: 3:39 Memory: 1191.4/3552.1MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

I hope you help me....
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Hoser Rob wrote:In Linux Mint you should never run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. You'll end up with a sort of hybrid mint/ubuntu system that isn't as stable as it was before. The only CLI apt command I'd use in Mint is sudo apt-get update.
That's incorrect

apt-get upgrade is restricted to the case where packages are to be replaced by newer versions, but no package needs to be added or removed. A new version of Firefox, for instance, should be installable with apt-get upgrade.

However apt-get upgrade will refuse to work when there are additions or removals required by the updated versions.

apt-get dist-upgrade is identical to apt full-upgrade

Furthermore apt-get upgrade is actually more dangerous than the mint updater since it will upgrade level 4 and 5 packages.

Finally, the -s option I gave simulates the upgrade without applying it.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

I have this problem too. Anyway to get around this? I'm using Mint 18 with Padoka PPA.

The following packages have been kept back:
  xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Return to “Beginner Questions”