Seriously high CPU usage and sluggish operation on new install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Raife
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Seriously high CPU usage and sluggish operation on new install

Postby Raife » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 pm

I installed both "tlp" and "radeontop" however, I have seen no difference in the laptop's behavior. After I restart the laptop (warm-boot), the machine is absolutely awesome. It is fast, and configured exactly the way I want it. There are no problems. Also, I am still really impressed with Mint-18.2 with Cinnamon. It is my favorite distribution. However, the completely unexplained high resource (CPU) usage, when the laptop is first turned-on (from a cold-boot), is driving me crazy. I cannot even figure out what is revving the CPU and sucking-up all of my laptops computational power.

I would like to include screen-shots of "radeontop" and "System Monitor" running side-by-side, both when CPU usage is pegged, and when it is low (the OS just idling, normally)... it doesn't appear that the graphics system is running any differently in either case... but, how do I get permission, and include the .PNGs images in these posts (other than hosting them elsewhere and pointing to their location)? :?:

Raife
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Raife » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 am

Here is my laptop running "Radiontop" with high CPU usage (after a cold boot):

http://uploads.im/0seOG.png

And, here is my laptop running "Radiontop" with low CPU usage (after a reboot):

http://uploads.im/EgKZn.png

Is this any help?

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:13 am

Your graphics renderer is using minimal resources, as it should for an AMD card of that level. The only other possibility is that the compositor is running in software mode, or there is a bug in your installation somewhere.

Try this:

On cold boot, once logged in, press ctrl-alt-f1 and drop to terminal

stop the xservet completely:

Code: Select all

sudo service lightdm stop

Check CPU with top

now start the xserver again

sudo service lightdm start

Check again with top

Raife
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Raife » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Hello. Sorry for the delay. In the last two weeks I've had a Research paper due, a mid-term, as well as a new company-wide employee background and educational assessment system implementation, including the information needing to be provided.

However, back to Mint's problems with my laptop;

I tried "sudo service lightdm stop", however, the system responded, "Failed to stop lightdm.service: unit lightdm.service not loaded".

When I tried to start "lightdm" it also said, "Failed to start lightdm.service: unit lightdm.service not found"

The system is still UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME after a reboot (warm-boot). However, I am running out of options. I NEED my laptop to just work when I turn it on. I really don't think I would mind a longer boot-time, or a component/OS-element reset as part of the boot process, if that's what is needed. But, I have simply not been able to find anything that actually addresses this problem.

Does anybody have any ideas as to figuring out what the operational difference between a cold-boot, and a boot, in which, all of the devices are already up and waiting, during the OS loading section of a boot? Also, I still have not been able to actually nail-down what is actually using all of my laptop's resources after a cold-boot.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 am

Sorry. You have an 18 upgraded to 18.2

The command should be

sudo service mdm stop

Termy
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Termy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 pm

In the meantime, if you have enough swap space, you might want to use hibernation. Just until this problem is sorted. Only if you have enough swap space though! Should be a lil bit over your total RAM. Wish I could help you, but reading all these posts, anything I can currently think of has already been mentioned. lol Remember to try that other LiveCD as suggested earlier; good diagnostic step.
Here to help.

vicinimfantasma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vicinimfantasma » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 am

Hello people, I registered only for this issue because it's driving me crazy, I have been fighting with high CPU usage for quite a time now, and the description made by OP perfectly fits with my case: optimum performance after a reboot, high CPU usage after a cold boot. I could't figure out what process is tacking all that CPU either. The only fix is to boot and than reboot, an annoying waste of time. If someone could spread some light over this issue it would be wonderful. My distro is Linux Mint 18.1 Serena 64-bit, with Kernel Linux 4.4.0-96-generic x86_64 and MATE 1.16.2. The processor is Intel® Celeron(R) CPU 1000M @ 1.80GHz × 2. If you need more information to figure out the issue it will be a pleasure for me to provide it.
Thank you all in advance.
MV

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:03 pm

vicinimfantasma wrote:Hello people, I registered only for this issue because it's driving me crazy, I have been fighting with high CPU usage for quite a time now, and the description made by OP perfectly fits with my case: optimum performance after a reboot, high CPU usage after a cold boot. I could't figure out what process is tacking all that CPU either. The only fix is to boot and than reboot, an annoying waste of time. If someone could spread some light over this issue it would be wonderful. My distro is Linux Mint 18.1 Serena 64-bit, with Kernel Linux 4.4.0-96-generic x86_64 and MATE 1.16.2. The processor is Intel® Celeron(R) CPU 1000M @ 1.80GHz × 2. If you need more information to figure out the issue it will be a pleasure for me to provide it.
Thank you all in advance.
MV

Your hardware is very different from the OP.

can you list the highest useage processes in system monitor. Check the option to show processes from all users

vicinimfantasma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vicinimfantasma » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:21 am

I cold booted right now, as I said i couldn't identify what process is taking all the CPU. In the system monitor the processes that are consuming CPU are: chromium-browse (three processes), Xorg and gnome-system-monitor itself. Anyway those three account only for a small portion of the consumption. I attached two screens to give an idea.
Attachments
process.png
cpu usage.png

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 am

Install htop

apt install htop

Then run it in a terminal:

htop

vicinimfantasma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vicinimfantasma » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 am

I have installed it and I tried to look at the processes both after reboot and after cold boot, there is still an average 50% more usage of one of the CPUs after cold boot, and the differences in single processes CPU usage is non so great to account for that difference. The only slight difference I have noted is in Xorg, it appears to consume more CPU after cold boot but not so much to explain all the difference, I have made screens but they are over 200 kB each and I can't post them right now.

vicinimfantasma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vicinimfantasma » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:11 am

Also, I noted that hibernation does the same than cold boot.

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Pjotr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:16 am

Please generate an overview of your system like this:

- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);

- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;

- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

inxi -Fxz

(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

- Press Enter.

- Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Newbie Questions”